Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Is this pop report correct

1989 Topps. Most stars have about 100-150 of each graded. But Tony Gwynn has 1062, Robing Yount has 1651 and Randy Johnson has a whopping 2850.

I can see grading the Johnson's but why on the Gwynn and Yount?

Comments

• Options
    I heard somewhere that PSA used those two cards to test its graders.

Thanks

Randy
    Always buying George Brett Gem Mint Cards!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    And I believe they were subsequently given away as promotional items at shows, etc.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I bet the gwynn and yount are cheap?
  • Options
    MiniMasterMiniMaster Posts: 505 ✭✭
    Check out the total gradings on the 1989 UpperDeck of Ken Griffey Jr.......that will definately blow you away.....over 45,000 graded? The total number of all 1989 Upper Deck Cards graded is like around 91,000? So almost half of all 89 Upper Deck graded is of one card.....lol
  • Options
    MiniMasterMiniMaster Posts: 505 ✭✭
    I just double checked and found that there are actually over 49,750 graded 89 upperdeck Ken Griffey Jr. cards out of 90,500 or so total gradings of all 89 upperdeck cards! image
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Randy and Mark have the story correct. At an Orange County show in 1998, they had piles of Younts and Gwynns and were giving them away to whoever stopped by. I got a 9 Yount, my wife got a 10 Gwynn, which we ebayed for $31 image

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...