Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps Set Question

Hi there,
For those of you who don't know me, i'm one of the guys behind the soon to be realased onling pricing utility that uses real prices ... etc...etc...

We are going through our checklists right now and i have a question about the 52 topps set.

Cards 48 and 49 (Joe Page & John Sain) have multiple "errors".... i'm trying to figure out what the differences are.... if anyone has scans of these cards could you post them. I have the reprint set, but it only has 1 card for each player. Additionally, what is the deal with the "Black Cards" How high up do they go and what exactly is the difference.

Thanks for your time.
http://www.cardpricer.com - More transactions than any site on the web!

Contact Us:
info@cardpricer.com

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    First 80 cards can have red or black back, with black maybe being the scacer of the two. The variation/error on the Sain and Page cards are their bios on back are either correct, or reversed
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    I see.... here is what we were given:

Page ERR BLACK
    Page COR BLACK
    Page COR RED
    Sain ERR Black
    Sain COR BLACK
    Sain COR RED

So i guess there are only problems with the black backs? Does anyone have a scan of the black back?

Thanks for the help.

Contact Us:
    info@cardpricer.com
  • Options
    Yes. The original print runs of cards 1-80 were with black backs. At some point the switch in bios occurred with those two cards. When they discovered the error they apparently chose at that time to also go to red backs in further print runs....so the error only occurs in black backs. The difference between black back and red back prints also resulted in a few front variations in the first 80 cards, including Boone and Glaviano.

Then there are the mysterious gray back cards from the otherwise white stock cards of the 3d series.....

...and that Campos Black Star variation in card 307

Al
  • Options
    So if all of the cards exist in red, but not all in black, why is black considered the variation?? ... perhaps i'm missing something but on the back of the reprints ... the text is all in black and the boxes are red...i am aware of the campos card ..... i'm shocked at it's relative value ... but certainly understand why someone would pay that much for it....and Mr. Bishop (since i don't know what else to call you....) would you mind if i sent you an email?

Contact Us:
    info@cardpricer.com
  • Options
    pm with e-mail info sent

Al
  • Options
    Greetings: I might be able to help you out there.
    I'm going to (attempt to) attach a scan of the joe page error. i've only attached a pic once before and it didn't go well, but i'll do my best. (i'm new) I've seen people load big pics on here, but it will only let me add pics that are less than 50kb. sorry if it doesn't show up big enough....maybe you can enlarge??

btw: anyone reading this who may be interested in BUYING this Page error may be interested to know that i'll be listing it in ebay in about 2 weeks. it is a psa 5. My seller ID is Card2Handle. And I'll plug this too for any 1987-88 fleer basketball fans: There are only 3 psa 10 barkleys....i'm selling one right now. Enjoy.

Best of luck on your project. Hope my pic helped.
  • Options
    I don't know that black backs are the "variation". It is usually just said that there are at least two variations to cards 1 to 80, one with red backs and one with black, and there are two additional variations of the Sain/Page cards in black. The front variation on cards like Glaviano and Boone are not additional because the front differences, which are noticeable, coincide in all cases with the red and black cards.

The gray backs in the 3d series may be another form of variation, similar to the first 50 cards of the 1954 set, which are sometimes refered to as Canadians, presumably as the place of issue or distribution. Not sure that is the caes with the 1952 3d series gray stock cards, which do not seem to get much recognition

Al
  • Options
    Well...since this is going to be a product for the better of the community, should other people like to chime in, i'd be glad to listen.... we have a long road ahead of us, but we've got to start somewhere. I would contend if every card exists in black then red should be noted and not black...

Contact Us:
    info@cardpricer.com
  • Options
  • Options
    was this bumped for any particular reason pimp?

Contact Us:
    info@cardpricer.com
  • Options
    Okay,
    Heres a website for 1952 topps
    1952 topps webiste

The guy is pretty knowledgable. He helped me with a couple of questions when I started my 52 set a couple years back.

Levi at 707 is very knowledgable when it comes to 1952 topps and in particular 3rd series graybacks.

If anyone has any third series graybacks, I would be intersted. I only have three of them.

Black sox here is list of the different variaous I know of
    1-80 Red/black backs
    48 page err sain bio
    49 sain err page bio
    131-190 third series graybacks
    307 campos black star
    311 Mantle stitching to the right
    312 Robinson Stitching to the right
    313 Thompson Stiching to the right
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    well said pimp
  • Options
    Well that's a ton of great info, i only perused it quickly ... but i am curious, for the purpose of checklisting.... if all cards exist with black backs, but not all in red...why is the "black" always noted on checklists. Thanks guys.

Contact Us:
    info@cardpricer.com
  • Options
    Black sox
    All 407 cards in the set have a redback. Only the first 80 cards have a black back as well. The redbacks are the norm for the set
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    realtime pricing utility?

Wow, sounds like something that I was thinking of starting. How does your 'program' work? Or, how will it work is a better question, I guess.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards