Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Gotta Be the FUNNIEST GRADE EVER, RIGHT (see NEW scans and chime in)???

This is downright laughable. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has seen a funnier grade for a card?
Also, if anyone has themselves gotten an obviously completely laughable grade such as this, how was it handled by PSA? There is NO WAY i'm gonna pay to have this regraded. This one is their mistake, and I'm not paying for it....anyone had a similar situation.
The Pics are attached, and I'm hoping this works. Not sure how big they will be if it works, but let me assure you that there is NO paperloss, no creases, no rips, stains, etc etc etc. I expected this card to get a 7....maybe a 6 on a bad day.....but a 2??????

OK...FORGET THESE ATTACHMENTS. SCROLL DOWN AND TAKE A LOOK. THANKS FOR THE HELP POSTING THE BIGGER ONES MIKE.

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonzoa

Would be nice to see a better scan - if you have trouble scanning - make it big and send it to my email and I will resize and post it here.

Looks better than a 2 to me?

How about a holdering mistake - like one of the cards next to it shoulda got a 2 and got a 5?

I would send it back for review I guess.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Might the card have some water damage on it?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I have gotten few shockers like that back.....

after I've settled down and got under a good light.....I've always found the reasoning for the grade such as a tiny crease, etc....

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    The corners look way too rounded to get a 7 and probably even for a 6. But there has to be a reason for a 2.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Hold it between a bright light source and your face. There might be a small pinhole somewhere.

I suspect there is something that dropped the card in the graders eyes, of course next time that card is sent in who knows if they will see it again.

Good luck either way.
  • Options
    I just sent bigger pics to stone193. i couldn't get bigger ones on here. i know he's a reliable source...i've seen that much in my brief time on here....he'll fill you in.
    there is no water damage at all. no damage of any kind. no creases (though if there was a tiny one, it still wouldn't make it a 2). and the corners are just BARELY touched. i just looked at the pic and they do look rounded in that small picture, but they really are square except the lower left which has the tiniest ding.

I just don't get it. I know I can have them review, but if it's an extreme mistake on their part, they've got to give me some vouchers or something to make up for the cost, right?
  • Options
    I have a few that I am hoping to bring to Chicago on June 10th to ask a PSA Rep to review with me. Funny, , the certs. all atart with 314 !!
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    Just did the bright sunlight check....nope....nothing. no pin holes or other additional flaws.
    I've certainly had cards come back w/grades i didn't agree with.
    and i've had some that i was so mad about, then saw a tiny wrinkle.

This one is in a league of its own.
  • Options
    OK...I just saw some people WERE able to upload BIG pictures.....how? it wouldn't let me do anything more than 50 kb.
  • Options
    Looks like at least a 5 to me. If you are going to sell it have it regraded. I always seem to get 5's or 6's on cards I think should be 7's or 8's. If one of the big sellers sent it in it would be a 6. LOL
  • Options
    Here ya go:

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    THANKS FOR THE NICE BIG SCANS MIKE!!!

Now, I will admit this...I noticed it on my card, but you can REALLY see it in the scan. most of the right border is a bright white. the left is not. it's darker. i've seen that sort of thing with water damage. HOWEVER, there is no clear line....it a gradual color change. Also, I don't see that this has affected any of the rest of the card at all. MAYBE the yellow background on the left is a little darker than on the right, but not much. and their certainly isn't any warping or anything. Thoughts???

]Thanks again for that great scan.
  • Options
    meuandthelotmeuandthelot Posts: 183 ✭✭
    I have to agree, by simply looking at the scans it looks like 4/5 quality Min.
    Added: You'd think water damage would show itself into the Yellow background, or on the reverse, no?. Will be interesting & informative to hear what others/collectors of this set can add.

Also, After seeing that assigned Grade..I won't be able to go through my "Possible Regrade" stack for quite some time as I have nothing even remotely close to that discrepancy!

Here's wishing you the best with getting the card re-checked without incurring the additional costs.
    Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    an upside-down 5 looks like a 2; maybe that's what happened.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I am not familiar with this year but the back right border has some whitening to it. Could that be considered paper loss or just the usual rough cut that should not knock the grade down.
  • Options
    is that wierd spot by his left eye a problem or is that normal for this issue?

• Options
    Interesting catch on the eye thing.

I looked at some others on ebay and they did have kind of a wierd eye thing happening for sure, but mine seems more pronounced. interesting. when i get home i'll have to give that a close look.

But even if it is some kind of a print flaw, then a 2??!! unless it's an actually hole in the card right there, but that's not the case i'm 99% sure.

as for the back border....no, that whitening of the border is pretty typical. it's tough to avoid that. I have several '54 psa 7s that have this much whitening on them.

And just for laughs, Here's PSA's definition of a 2:
    GOOD 2: Good.

A PSA Good 2 card's corners show accelerated rounding and surface wear is starting to become obvious. A good card may have scratching, scuffing, light staining, or chipping of enamel on obverse. There may be several creases. Original gloss may be completely absent. Card may show considerable discoloration. Centering must be 90/10 or better on the front and back.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Water damage or evidence of exposure to moisture?
  • Options
    none that i can tell. when i held this card in my hand i was thinking: definite 6, possibly a 7. it was glossy and i could neither see nor feel any damage at all. i now do see that the left border is darker than the right, but i don't notice any damage of any kind on the back or to the colored part of the card.
    If any water or moisture got to this, then it was awfully kind. i just don't see it.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF PSA HANDWRITES THE GRADES AT ANY POINT IN THE PROCESS. Maybe someone had terrible handwriting. Maybe they hit a wrong button on the computer. I mean, I understand if this comes back a 5 or 4.....I'd be angry with that, but it's in the realm of possibility, but a 2!!!!!!!!!
    I have card that look like they were crumpled and crapped on that have come back a 2.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    The spot on the eye is normal, mine has it too.
  • Options
    >>>The spot on the eye is normal, mine has it too.>>>

So there goes that possibility.

Let me ask this:

Resubmitting a card for review is like asking them to admit they were wrong. Has anyone actually had any luck getting a higher grade with a review....or has anyone even tried it before?
    I've tried crossovers, but never had any luck if i put a minimum grade requirement...they always come back "trimmmed" though they aren't. I'm having problems believing a review is any different. but i don't want to crack it, cuz if they were seriously WAY wrong and are willing to admit it, I want them to pick up the check.
    thoughts?
  • Options
    Crack and resubmit -- what's the worst that could happen?

The two BEST cards I've ever submitted to PSA (out of hundreds and hundreds) both came back 8's the first time and were 10's after I cracked them out and resubmitted them -- Bob Tewksbury & Junior Felix -- 2 short-printed 1993 Refractors.

Sometimes, PSA just screws up, ya' know?

What's the worst that could happen?

• Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I've heard that psa will deduct two grades if they detect that a crease/wrinkle has been pressed out. Check to see if you can spot any identations on the surface where someone may have applied too much pressure with a spoon or a similar object.
  • Options
    >>>> Crack and resubmit -- what's the worst that could happen?>>>>.

Deep down I know you are right. But my conscious is messing with me. I would HATE HATE HATE the idea that they could do something so (seemingly) wrong and profit on it....not once, but twice. That would be like paying them double to screw up. I don't know that I can allow myself to do that. But ultimately, you are right, and maybe I'll do that....but man........ya know????
  • Options
    <<<<psa will deduct two grades if they detect that a crease/wrinkle has been pressed out>>>>>

Now THAT is very interesting if that is true. I'd never heard that. I just examined the card (as best I could in the holder) and I don't see anything that would lead me to believe that that has happened here. However, I guess it would be impossible for me to rule that out. If so, the pre-existence of a crease would give it a 4, minus 2 would indeed be the 2 it was given....if that is true. It would be the most logical explanation....besides the one I like that they completely screwed up....or were drunk.

Still, I don't see anything but a flat surface and smooth sailing.
  • Options
    Where is DBH to tell us all we are wrong and PSA never makes mistakes???image
  • Options
    If the grade don't fit...

Resubmit!

Mike
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>If the grade don't fit...

Resubmit!

image >>

Or....

If the grade don't fit... Say "F**k it, I quit!"
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If the grade don't fit...

Resubmit!

image >>

Or....

If the grade don't fit... Say "F**k it, I quit!" >>

Preach on, Brotha Boo.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    rbeatonrbeaton Posts: 631
    Looks like a normal 2 to me... image

imageimage

Edited to include back scan.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    OK.....Now that last picture.....the dick todd card (which is funny to me for some reason).....

what's going on there? the back is trashed right? or am i not alone here? nah, the back is trashed isn't it?
  • Options
    This is why i wont comment on grades based on a post if it where in my hands i may be able to tell you why its a 2 from the scans it looks 5/6 but there may be something else. i have found there usually is when a card receives a grade like that best to break out look at it again if you still see nothng wrong resubmit.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Loks liek there could be paper loss on ted's hat in the blue?? I am grasping here...
  • Options
    The Todd card has a crease that runs top to bottom on the back, but I have no idea what PSA saw on the Williams.
  • Options

<< <i>The Todd card has a crease that runs top to bottom on the back, but I have no idea what PSA saw on the Williams. >>

Ya gotta think "conspiracy" - the universal equivocator.

PSA gets a kickback from the PO due to all the additional registered mail that they generate.

Mike
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hold it between a bright light source and your face. There might be a small pinhole somewhere.

I suspect there is something that dropped the card in the graders eyes, of course next time that card is sent in who knows if they will see it again.

Good luck either way. >>

I believe that a pinhole gets an automatic 1.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one reason that I've always stated that lower graded cards, such as 1's and 2's, when the grade is not obvious like here, should definitely have an explanation code such as pinhole, bleached, paper loss, etc. This could be so easily done as PSA already does this with qualifiers.