Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Trying out a website... Even if you dont buy anything, I'd appreciate some feedback.

Just giving this a shot to see if it is even a possibility before I move to a more reliable and costly server. I'd like feedback on it, even brutally honest feedback. Thanks for taking a look and making suggestions.

Thompson Coins

Comments

• Options
    Doesnt look too bad at all!
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    Looks good. Easy to use. Design it yourself?

Dennis
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    nederveitnederveit Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Agreed, it looks decent.

Suggestions: Once I click on a coin, make that text look nicer, and make the 'terms' slightly smaller. You want to emphasize the description, not the terms.
    Font; I'm sure this is just a personal preference, but I don't care for Times New Roman, which looks like your default font on this site.
    Even though you explain on the Main page that shipping is free, also add that to the coin (description/terms). When browsing fast for coins, I could care less about the main page.
    On the Main page, will you have room to expand if you add categories like Half-Dime, Colonials, etc?

OK, that's the 2-second look review...
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    Yes. I designed it in my free time when I wasnt doing homework or hanging out with friends.

Thanks Nedervelt. I'll be sure to fix some of that.

Thanks for taking the time to look guys image
  • Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    I like it but I think the font is too small in the text. I am on a 19 inch monitor but it still looks tiny, so hate to see it on a 15 or 17 inch. Maybe it is just the font style that makes it hard to read?

Update: After looking at it again, it appears to just be the font on the main page that is an issue, the coin descriptions are fine.
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Looks good to me....do you need to sayDescription before you describe a coin?
  • Options
    On my screen some of the words and descriptions are cut off on the halves page. Other than that it is a nice and easy site
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    You should be able to jump from one coin screen to the others without having tio go back and reselect a different denomonation of coins.

Links at bottom of page to other coin series would be a winner in my book.

I hate hitting the back button.

Rob

• Options
    rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Looks pretty good... are you going to add a shopping cart feature? You can get the free code to put on your page from PayPal's site. The server shouldn't be too costly as you say. If you know where to look you can get good, reliable hosting for $10 a month or so.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. Maybe Laura could hire you as a consultant and you get paid in coins . . .

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    solidsolid Posts: 2,975
    Looks good! I'm a big fan of simple layouts and easy navigation and your site fills the bill on both
    counts. It also seems plenty fast loading the pages and photos.

In the interest of a clean design, I agree that you don't need the word "Description:" before the
    description for each coin.

Also, I don't see any toned nickels on your site - a glaring deficiency! image

Good luck!

Ken
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i give it thumbs up...goodluck too
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    johnsim03johnsim03 Posts: 992 ✭✭
    Hi Ben:

This is an impressive start - well done! A couple of suggestions:

On blocks of text, especially large blocks, it is distracting to have the lines centered.
    Better to justify, or leave ragged-right, IMHO.

You don't need Description before every description (others have mentioned this).

You should protect the email address given on your pages, so that robots and spammers
    can't harvest it. I suggest this web site for an easy method to do this:

Email Encoder It is free!

Anyway - nice site - I like it!

Kind Regards,
    John
    John C. Knudsen, LM ANA 2342, LM CSNS 337
    SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994
  • Options
    Ben , I like it too!
    Nice job.

I might send you some coins
    on consignment...image

Sam...
  • Options
    As others have said, drop the "description" and add a shopping cart, it offers a better opportunity for that truly impulsive purchase. Fantastic photography.
    "To know the road ahead, ask those coming back"
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    I like it! Especially that small images all of coins within a particular demonination appear next to the description. Now add some Barbers and I'll be back!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad at all. Needs a half dime section though.
  • Options
    OffMetalOffMetal Posts: 1,684
    When looking at some sections, the text was weird for me.

-Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    Website looks user friendly and easy to navigate. It does have a poor selection of Kennedy half dollars (might need a little work here)!image
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When looking at some sections, the text was weird for me.

image >>

Strange,it looks fine in my IE browser...

Hayden
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Nice! The main page needs larger text..and maybe a sweet picture.

Other than that its pretty sweet.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it! Very well designed site.image
  • Options
    The best indicator of a site well done is the ability to generate sales through it, OK, I'm convinced, there are a couple coins I would like to purchase.
    "To know the road ahead, ask those coming back"
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    The site looks good. You need to optimise it for search engines
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, but I have to agree with holeinone1972.......you should have links to go back to the Home Page &/or other denominations without having to hit the back button. Also I would like to see another window open when clicking the images instead of just going to another page....again neccesitating a back button click to get back to the original page.
    Overall though, very nice for a young whipper-snapper!
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am trying some of this stuff out and I definately appreciate the suggestions.. though some of you guys are getting pretty fancy and way past my basic skills image

Thanks again for taking a couple minutes to give me your opinion.
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Ben! image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i am no web expert but i will say this

i like it lotsimageimage

i am sure everything is a work in progess but i give it a 9.75 out of ten

wow

you are off to a great start

and i knowit looks to me like you are an up and coming coin seller/numismatist

be fair and honest with integrity and responsibility and i hope you will do fine

maybe not make much $$$ as the coin game is a dirty rotten biz but try your best and i think you will come out ahead i think i am just too jaded but i will not apologise for thast

but the fact still remains is you got a great site!!!! and i got a really good feeling about it and it looks fantastic!!!!!

keep me informed!!
  • Options
    macjeffmacjeff Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Overall, I like it. I make Web sites for a living, and I swear by the "Keep It Simple, Stupid" school of design theory, so I like a site what gets to the point with a minimum of fuss and bother! I only have a few comments: I agree with the folks who think you should de-empasize the terms and conditions. Just throw a "very small" in your font tags (or try to declare 8 or 9 point text with CSS), and you'll be all set! I also agree with those who dislike Times as your font. I may be a typeface snob, but a sans-serif font looks more professional (IMHO). I suggest Verdana instead of Arial, though, it's a little more visually interesting, and compact.

My one other bit of advice would be to shrink your thumbnail images. Right now, you are resizing their display on the page to 100x200 pixels, but the images themselves are still 1000x500 pixels (and 100+ kb) of downloaded data. You should still link to the full size images, but shrink the thumbnails themselves.

Other than that, nicely done! image

Edit: stupid typos!
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it alot. Simple and easy to use. I did not have any of the display issues others had and I was able to navigate OK.

Some good suggestions have already been made on formats, fonts, etc. - to me they would be nice enhancements, but I am interested in seeing the coins.

One suggestion I would make is that when a coin sells, keep the sale price visible for those of us who missed out. I like to see what prices coins sell at so I have a feel for market pricing.

I wish more sites were as easy to use as yours.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks pretty good... are you going to add a shopping cart feature? You can get the free code to put on your page from PayPal's site. The server shouldn't be too costly as you say. If you know where to look you can get good, reliable hosting for $10 a month or so. >>

you get get a site hosted now for $2.95 a month

Link
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.