Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Libertas Americana...What a hayseed I am...

...I was thinking of maybe bidding $3,000 on this...

Comments

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, what is this?

It looks fantastic and it has a wonderful almost laquer surface with an incredible color.
  • Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    I don't know what they are worth, but they are really awesome looking. Somebody posted a picture of TradeDollarNut's a week or so back, that was the first one I had ever seen.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...I was thinking of maybe bidding $3,000 on this... >>

Sell for a little more than that, did it?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the biggest numismatic mistakes I've ever made was selling the Bass silver Libertas [indirectly] to Cardinal for a small profit. image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The silver composition(unique) of this medal is worth more than 10 times that...

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    Here is the one I was talking about Link, guess I didn't read the part about TDN selling it as I was too amazed by the medal itself.
  • Options
    A copper composition was just sold by Goldberg's with a hammer of 10K. If you had been referring to the silver composition sold by Stack's, it only realized $35K. Quite a dramatic drop from what the Bass pedigreed example realized...and I digress. the silver composition is not unique, but many times more rare than the copper.

The silver Betts-615 example sold this past weekend by Stack's is pedigreed to F.C.C. Boyd. Comparable in importance to the Bass specimen, but obviously not in front of the the same audience, what with realizing only 30% of what the Bass specimen hammered...

Edited to add "The silver Betts...hammered".

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may have mine. Even for a little less!
    imageimage

peacockcoins

• Options
    Ahh yes... The famous Puceous Peacok Collection!!

• Options
    It went for $10K! And they call that "Extremely Fine". I don't see any wear on it. What would it take for them to call it mint state?
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing medals.

I like how the baby has a snake in each hand.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    slumlord98slumlord98 Posts: 1,180
    The market price of these medals was held down from recent highs due to so many being available. Stacks just sold two silver copies for $110k and $35k (all prices are hammer), and eight bronze copies for $4-$18k (plus grease), a silver Paris copy of 1975, a partial hub impression in brass, and two die trials. Ford was apparently a fan of this medal.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Amazing history behind that medal. If I remember correctly, the reverse is liberty protecting the infant U.S. against the British lion. Ben Franklin's slap to England was having the lion's tail placed between his legs.

A great medal for a great new country.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Not Liberty, France. It is France (Coat of Arms on the shield) defending the infant nation (USA) from the British Lion (whose tail is tucked between its legs, a heraldic symbol of defeat.). The two snakes also had a symbolic meaning that I can't remember at this moment. The representation of the USA as an infant clutching the two snakes is also an allusion to greek mythology. There is a story of the infant Hercules where one night two serpents were sent to kill the child. The parents heard a commotion and brought a lamp into the nursery to find the infant gurgling happily clutching the dead serpents in either fist. The use of the same image on the medal says that the US is an infant now, but will grow up to become one of (if not the) the most powerful nations.
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    From the New Netherlands Coin Company Inc.'s sale of April 1972, Lot 615...

Obverse: The inscription LIBERTAS AMERICANA is in an arc above, 4 JUIL. 1776 is in the exergue below. At the center is the head of Libertas Americana, a.k.a. Miss Liberty, facing left, with rich tresses of hair flowing behind, set against a liberty cap on pole. The top of the pole is seen below her neck, and the end of the pole with cap behind her hair to the upper right.

Reverse: With inscription NON SINE DIIS ANIMOSUS INFANS (the infant is not bold without divine aid) above, 17 OCT. 1777 and 19 OCT. 1781. The allegorical motif on the reverse is a fine example of the engraver's art. Minerva, clad in breastplate and plumed helmet, holds a shield bearing the fleur de lys of France. The infant Hercules (representing the new American nation) kneels in the protective shadow of Minerva's shield, grasping a strangled serpent in each tiny fist. The reptiles represent the defeats of General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne (17 October, 1777) and General George Cornwallis (19 October, 1781). The British lion stands, forepaws upon Minerva's shield. Its tail is between its rear legs, a heraldic signal of cowardice or defeat, as, indeed, it may also be in nature. In some 19th-century accounts (citations on request to the successful bidder) this particular breed of cat has been called incorrectly a leopard or a panther.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    A story about Ben Franklin since had had some input on this medal. It seems he was at an English reception after the war and an English politician told him that "......here in England, we keep a picture of George Washington in our outhouses...", to which Ben replied ".....I think that is a wonderful idea, for I can't think of any thing that would make an Englishman sh*t faster.

Lord, I love numismatics.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    The original intent of the production of the medal was Franklin's idea. These were intended as presentation pieces for the French monarchy as a gesture of thanks to the French for their support of the colonists in their battle for freedom from British tyranny.

• Options
    does the hat on the pole look to anyone else like an afterthought?? ....

doesn't seem to match the scale, nor the style, nor the engraving level of detail of the other devices.

• Options
    no comments about the "liberty cap"?? how about how small it is? how about how it defies gravity and hangs unnaturally?

for such a nice medal, that cap looks to me very out of place and "squeezed in"

Am I the only one?

• Options
    image Baley, this portion of the design does seem very odd and out of place to me as well. Could it be possible that another artist imposed upon Dupre's work? Great theory for a dedicated numismatist to research... image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file