Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

86 Toppps 3-box rack break live ! and in progress" continued"

I just got my 3-box rack from BBC exchange , I plan on bustin it later tonight with scans of course. This is not a false alarm like last time, The case is unboxed and in my floor.

probably around 9 or so cdt

be there !

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bust away!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    They are tough but I'm sure you'll do fine. Get a nice PSA 10 Ripken or Ryan or whoever.

Lee
  • Options
    Tennessee-Best luck with the Bust! Hopefully you'll pull a ton of 9's.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> The case is unboxed and in my floor. >>

Tenn,

What, do you have a secret vault in your floor that you store your cards in? Or did you you just mean " unboxed and on the floor"? image
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    A Teaser !

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    wow! and no spot on the hat...

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Ok here a few slightly off center stars

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Are you submitting all of these?
  • Options
    No just showing off some pulls of the stars

• Options

• Options
    A nicely centered Puckett!

• Options
    A very nice Gwynn !

• Options

<< <i>No just showing off some pulls of the stars >>

Ah. I saw them in CS I's, so I wasn't sure.
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>A nicely centered Puckett! >>

Nnnnice!! I'm drooling on my keyboard over that one!!

Best of luck the rest of the way!

• Options
    I found a few so far Shambo

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tennessee

There's nothing nice than the black borders when they look that nice!

The Gwynn is a beauty!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I got a little sidetracked tonight guys, After opening about a box and a half. Will finish up tommorrow night with more scans.

One thing I have noticed so far is that on first glance these cards look like they could be gem, but after further inspection with a loupe you begin to see chips,dings etc. These are some very tuff cards !

• Options

<< <i>I got a little sidetracked tonight guys, After opening about a box and a half. Will finish up tommorrow night with more scans.

One thing I have noticed so far is that on first glance these cards look like they could be gem, but after further inspection with a loupe you begin to see chips,dings etc. These are some very tuff cards ! >>

It can be even worse than that. I've gone through 3 box rack cases before where I've only pulled 3 or 4 cards that had a shot at a 10. Aside from the usual headaches (centering, dinged corners) etc. you also have to fight a washed-out black area, and of course chipping along the top horizontal edge. If you pull a legitimate 25 or 30 PSA 10 candidates out of one case-- and that's including commons-- you've done very, very well.
  • Options
    brianwintersfanbrianwintersfan Posts: 3,626 ✭✭
    I bought a 3 box rack case from BBCEx a few months back and could only handle opening one box. The other two were sold on Ebay.
    My eyes were about to fall out of my head. image
  • Options

<< <i>I bought a 3 box rack case from BBCEx a few months back and could only handle opening one box. The other two were sold on Ebay.
    My eyes were about to fall out of my head. image >>

Man, I completely understand that feeling. You cannot do a full 3 box case in one night if you're also pulling mint commons as well as stars. It just can't be done. If you're just plowing through looking for HOFers then yeah, I guess it's possible. But if you're really scrutinizing every card? No way.

The final killer is the commemorative all star cards. 48 1986T cards are bad enough, but then you've got to pour over those glossy AS cards, and try and decide if the 2 millimeter scratch in the lower right will get the card knocked down, of if that funny reflection in the upper right corner is a slight bend or just an uneven distribution of gloss. Anyone that can crack a case of these bad boys and pull the nice commons in one night is definitely a better man than I.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    If you end up with a pristine Brett Butler, I'm interested. You've got some nice looking stuff so far.

Geordie
  • Options
    I did 2 boxes in one night and I think I went blind for a few days. Lucky for me though, my case was apparently stored at the center of the earth because the plastic wrapper and all-star card gloss had fused together. So that was one headache I didn't have to worry about.

Lee
  • Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I could really use the following Angels from 1986:
    #42 Zahn
    #234 Corbett
    #311 Schofield
    #628 McCaskill

Willing to purchase and pay shipping if they are PSA 8 or better candidates.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    I will look for the cards you guys want, when I find them I will Pm you. It may take a few days but I should pull some of the players you guys need. Be on the lookout for my Pm.

• Options
    I'm looking for Concepcion, Perez, Foster, and Griffey if you have them. Thanks

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    I dont know how many 10's will come from this case. On my first run through I try to pull all the stars and seperate the well-centered ones, I then go back and pull any well-centered commons and look at all of them through my 10 x loupe. Anything that passes through this rigorous exam goes to PSA.
    These things are a real monster, if you find one that has good centering then the top(black border) will have chipping or a slight ding, If that passes then the bottom may have chipping. The top/bottom centering can be off as well. I dont know where to start measuring the top/bottom centering but on a lot of them you can tell without measurement. Anyone with more experience may want to chime in and give me a heads up on what PSA looks for on these.

• Options
    boopotts, Having bought rack cases from 84,85,86 I really havent given much thought to the all-star glossy cards. I really didnt think anyone had any interest in them, I should have several complete sets of these from these years and have pulled some very nice ones, Is there enough interest in them to have them graded ?

• Options
    try and decide if the 2 millimeter scratch in the lower right will get the card knocked down, of if that funny reflection in the upper right corner is a slight bend or just an uneven distribution of gloss

boo, this is great....image i've been there...haha

i just sent in some topps tiffany's from 86 and they are just like the glossy all-stars. i sent in a load of yankees and mets...i'm sure some will be less than expected. i didn't really key in on anything because in the glossiness, they look GEM with sharp corners...oh well, we'll see.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    What do Gem Glossy all-stars go for ? I may have to send in a few.

• Options

<< <i>boopotts, Having bought rack cases from 84,85,86 I really havent given much thought to the all-star glossy cards. I really didnt think anyone had any interest in them, I should have several complete sets of these from these years and have pulled some very nice ones, Is there enough interest in them to have them graded ? >>

I actually don't know the answer to this question, as I've never found one that I thought would grade high. I just have horrible luck with them. My streak 'may' have been broken by my last rack case, as I found three or four that looked like they could make the grade, and they're at PSA as we speak. I'll let you know how they turn out.

As far as demand goes, you don't see them come up for auction very often, and the pop. reports are pretty low, so I think a PSA 10 of a HOFer should do OK on the 'bay. But, sadly, I can't that for sure.
  • Options
    Oh- and one other thing. If you find any real beauties be sure to check the reverse centering. One of the many endearing perversities of this issue is that many of the cards that are in pristine condition have 80/20 or worse reverse centering (IMExperience, hopefully yours will be different).

Where's DGF in this thread? I know he's a 1986 topps fiend. Phil, stand up and be counted!
  • Options
    I havent really paid any attention to these cards while i was ripping except to notice a few that looked real good. Im going to send in one or two and see how I do. I've pulled several of the glossy 85 all-star team cards and happened to notice they had perfect centering, I will run them under the loupe tonight.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tennessee

This is very intertaining. There's nothing like opening packs/racks/boxes.

Do you put your sets in binders or boxes?

I start with boxes but binders are so much easier when going back to view them.

Unfortunately stuff from the 90s rarely gets a visit.

I think my 92UD, Topps and Fleer sets have a contract out on me for non-support! image

Good luck on any 10s
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike, What I dont send in for grading usually gets put in a card saver and boxed if it is a star card, Although I have been thinking of switching them to binders as of late. The commons usually just go in a box 800 or 3200 and gather dust.

• Options
    The glossy inserts from the 80's are really underrated in my opinion, I cant believe that PSA doesnt have a registry for them. Maybe I should petition PSA to start a Reg for these Glossies.

• Options
    I just noticed where they have the 87 glossy all-star set listed in the registry but not the other years.

If anyone else is interested in starting a registry for these sets(84,85,86 All-star glossy) I am going to send in the request, It probably wouldnt hurt for a group of us to send in a request for them, showing them that more than one person is interested in starting these sets.

• Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    TB,

Here are some examples of 10s that I received from my breaks last year.

Questionable centering but.....

I have a bunch more 9's on my website if you want examples.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    ok let the busting continue ! These all-star cards were tough on centering throughout the whole case, But I may have found some gems in this bunch !

• Options

• Options
    A very nice card of one of my favorite players

• Options
    I'd bet a PSA 10 Tettleton RC would bring a good price. He had somewhat of a cult following. FROOT LOOPS!!!

Lee
  • Options
    Yes i am going to hijack a little, but when i asked what i'm about to ask here...not many people responded ..and since this has a lot of 86 topps people in here...well you get the idea.

i'm selling off my 86 topps and topps traded sets (the topps traded is complete) and the other one has about 30 cards or so (all in 9 or10 with Clemens, Boggs, Schmidt, and more)... i tried on the b/s/t in here.... aside from eBay is there another good place to market the fact that the set is for sale?
    http://www.cardpricer.com - More transactions than any site on the web!

Contact Us:
    info@cardpricer.com
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Get any good looking Saberhagens? Pretty wild checking out the pop report.

263 submissions,
    PSA 9 = 11
    PSA 9q = 0
    PSA 10 = 1

That there have been 263 of this card submitted is pretty crazy as well. Pretty good player, one of only 2 players with a pair of Cy Youngs who are not likely to get into the Hall of Fame.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>Get any good looking Saberhagens? Pretty wild checking out the pop report.

263 submissions,
    PSA 9 = 11
    PSA 9q = 0
    PSA 10 = 1

That there have been 263 of this card submitted is pretty crazy as well. Pretty good player, one of only 2 players with a pair of Cy Youngs who are not likely to get into the Hall of Fame. >>

There are some other cards out there like that as well. One of Devon White's RC's has a few hundred graded, and I've heard of others as well. I think the deal is that PSA graded these all at some show/ convention in Hawaii years ago; I believe to help dealers learn their grading standards (although I'm not sure about that). But I am reasonably sure, if memory serves, that these weren't all submitted by some yahoo with a Saberhagen fetish.
  • Options
    Sometimes I forget about Sabes. He was a totally dominant pitcher when healthy. The only difference between him and Roger Clemens is an extra 10 years of quality pitching. Still, the '89 season where he won 23 games for the Royals who won 87 total with not one player hitting .300!! I hate making the "if he was a Yankee...." argument, but.....

Lee
  • Options
    Ok, I have a good problem. On my first trial run of looking for centering and checking with my trusty 10x loupe I have managed to pull about 55 star cards from the 86 racks that should grade 9 or higher. Now, should I send them all in for grading at a $250 hit plus the cost of the case $45, or just scale down to about 20 or so of the very best ? I am wondering if there would be enough demand for them to take a $300 hit.

• Options
    i'd hit it...where's the "hit it" image??? image

i've got 50+ regular and 50+ tiffany's in the grading process now...

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    I would send in only the ones you think have a legitimate shot at a 10. Not much demand for 9s out there, even the stars. Looks like you should get some 10s from the scans. Good luck.

Lee
  • Options
    Tennessee, by the time you figure shipping and insurance both ways you're going to have nearly $7 invested in each card (assuming you just shelve the non-graded cards). It's probably going to take atleast twenty 10's to break even unless your lucky with some lower pops or have bidding war. If it were me I'd send in the 50 and see how it goes.

How many Carlton's did you wind up pulling and what do you want for them?

Shannon
    shambo2000