Home Metal Detecting
Options

Saturdays field finds and a couple of extras.

Got up Saturday morning to chase down some artifacts that were listed in a garage sale ad. Had no idea what would be for sale, but it proved to be a good hunt so to speak.

First off I saw this large Intrusive Mound (500 AD- 1,000 AD) point laying in the bottom corner of a case.
It measures 3 inches long and is very thin. Intrusive Mound points are rarely found intact (because of their thinness) , and this example is quite acceptable even with the chip in the blade edge. Made of Gray Coshocton flint.

imageimage

I was very suprised to see this next one! It is an Expanded Notch point (5,000-6,000 BC) or E-Notch for short.
Fashioned from Zaleski flint, it measures 3 and 1/2 inches. Note how the notches are chipped into the base side and then expand up and down at an angle which leaves the small projection spur resembling an "E". This is not a common Ohio type.

So after purchasing these, I had the urge to hunt up some free ones!
A couple of buddies had a line on a field that was due to be hit and off we went.
We hunted along a high ridge near a feeder stream which dumped into the Big Darby Creek. Field was planted in soybeans and was as flat as a pancake. Between the 3 of us we managed 4 whole points and 18-20 fragments in 2 hours.

Here are my finds for the day. Note the teardropped shaped black blade was the only thing I found intact. All the rest are basal fragments and a couple of tips.

Thanks for looking! image
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments