Home Sports Talk

Roger Clemens Signs with Astros

stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
According to our local radio station, Clemens has signed with the Astros.
So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Link

Clemens signs with Astros

BY KEN DAVIDOFF
    Newsday Staff Writer

May 30, 2006, 4:17 PM EDT

Roger Clemens is making yet another comeback with the Houston Astros, Newsday has learned. An announcement is expected as soon as today.

Clemens, 43, has signed a one-year deal that is believed to be worth about $3.5 million per month, which will probably equate to about $10.5 million for the season, depending on when exactly he returns to action.

The seven-time Cy Young Award winner, who turns 44 in August, has a career record of 344-172. After the Astros declined to offer him salary arbirtation last winter, they forefeited the right to re-sign him until May 1. But Clemens, who broke down physically at the end of last season, seemed intrigued by the idea of pitching only part of a season.

Clemens makes his full-time home in Houston, and his son Koby is a prospect in the Astros' system. While he identified the Yankees, Red Sox and Rangers as other candidates for his services, the Astros seemed a strong favorite - over retirement, as well - these past few months.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>Reliable Source? >>

The report I heard came from Sports Radio 610 and I would hope the are responsibile with their reporting.
  • It would be great if true and great to hear that he picked his hometown team, too.

Good luck to the Astros.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
    Now CONFIRMED by 610.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Look for him to pitch at home only. ala ted lyons.

Good for baseball, great for the stro's.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Bummer. I was hoping he'd come home to Boston.

Oh well, it's probably best for him to stay in the NL. It all makes sense and he won't be caught in between the on-going Red Sox/Yankee feud.
    Astros Deny Report

<< <i>Astros GM says Clemens situation is 'status quo'ESPN.com news services

Houston Astros general manager Tim Purpura denied a report on Tuesday that Roger Clemens had picked a team for 2006, saying the situation was "status quo."

Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, and Astros' owner Drayton McLane also denied the report.

Newsday reported on its Web site that Clemens had decided to re-sign with the Astros and an announcement would be made as soon as today.

Purpura denied the report, telling ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, "It's status quo, except for all the media attention we've had."

"We've had no conduct with Roger's people today," said Purpura, adding that the last time he talked to Hendricks was Sunday.

Purpura said he was told then that "Roger was still in the mode of trying to decide what he wants to do." So essentially, Purpura said, "We're just awaiting his decision."

Hendricks told ESPN.com that he hasn't spoken to the Astros on Tuesday.

"Contrary to Newsday, there is no agreement with the Astros," Hendricks said.

McLane also reiterated that Clemens has not signed with the team.

"We haven't finished the deal yet," McLane told the Houston Chronicle. "We've been standing by. Tim or I have talked to him every two or three days. They haven't given us a decision. They haven't said a word to us about it. That's complete news to me. We haven't finalized the deal yet nor has he told us. Boy that's total news to us."

Another baseball executive, whose team has been involved in the Clemens discussions, told Stark on Tuesday that he believes Clemens could sign with the Astros in the next 48 hours. Among the reasons: Clemens' son, Koby, is about ready to come off the disabled list in the Astros' minor league system, making it possible that Clemens could pitch to Koby in his tuneup starts, either in extended spring training or for one of the Astros' minor-league clubs.

A source who has talked to Clemens this month says Clemens spoke about that possibility and seemed intrigued by it. Father and son have been working out together recently, as they both geared up for a return, the source told Stark.

Meanwhile, two baseball men who have been in contact with Clemens told Stark the only other team Clemens is seriously considering is the Red Sox, because they are more willing than the Yankees to give Clemens the kind of schedule and travel concessions the Astros offered him over the last two years. Nevertheless, Houston is still viewed as the favorite. Texas has also been considered a possibility.

In December, the Astros declined to offer Clemens arbitration after he went 13-8 with a 1.87 ERA in 32 starts. However, Clemens began to wear down late in the season and lasted just two innings in Houston's Game One loss to the Chicago White Sox in the World Series due to a hamstring injury.

In his two seasons with the Astros, Clemens posted a 31-12 record with a 2.43 ERA.

An 11-time All-Star, Clemens has more wins than any other living pitcher and ranks ninth all-time with 341 victories. In 672 career games, he is 341-172 with a 3.12 ERA and has recorded 4,502 career strikeouts, trailing only Nolan Ryan (5,714) on the all-time list. >>

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Verry happy he did not sign with the Sox. image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Nah. I think the only reason why the Astros are denying the report, and they're not really "denying it" per say, is that they haven't prepared a press release yet. It's coming.
  • I'd hope he came back to NY; but I knew that there was as much chance as him going back to the Sox. But hell I can't wait to see him pitch again.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff

<< <i>Nah. I think the only reason why the Astros are denying the report, and they're not really "denying it" per say, is that they haven't prepared a press release yet. It's coming. >>

Allegedly (but not holding my breath), they are waiting for this weekend's homestand to make an announcement.
  • I bought a cheap RC of his this morning - good timing image
    Astros announce a press conference at 11:00 AM (in 26 minutes) image

MWUAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's done!
  • Good for the Stros, Clemens=bad@$$.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I'm sick of reading about him on ESPN.com

either crap or get off the pot.

he's about as bad as Favre when it comes to playing the waiting game.
    From astros.com

<< <i>Done deal: Rocket returns to Astros
    Clemens set for June 22 return to Houston rotation
    By Jim Molony / MLB.com

Roger Clemens holds a 31-12 record with a 2.43 ERA in two seasons in Houston. (David J. Phillip/AP)
    Astros Headlines

HOUSTON -- Retirement and the Hall of Fame will have to wait a little longer for Roger Clemens, because The Rocket has decided to go on one final mission for Houston.
    No. 22 agreed to terms Wednesday on a one-year deal with the Astros to come back for a 23rd season, or at least the remaining four months of the current season.

The seven-time Cy Young Award winner ended his seven-month retirement by accepting a deal that will pay him approximately $14 million -- the pro-rated value of a $21 million seasonal contract -- to pitch for the Astros for the balance of the current season.

The decision came after months of soul searching by Clemens and weeks of waiting by the Astros, Yankees and Red Sox, who had tendered offers to the right-hander in recent weeks. The Rangers were also in the hunt until they were informed on Friday that they were no longer in the running for Clemens.

Clemens' arrival couldn't come at a better time for the Astros, who have lost 18 of their last 22 games. Houston's offense has been inconsistent but the Astros are also in dire need of more pitching.

Clemens, 13-8 with a Major League-leading 1.87 ERA in 32 regular-season starts for the Astros last year, should provide an immediate boost. The right-hander is expected to pitch in a few Minor League games before rejoining the Astros to start against the Twins on June 22.

Clemens and the Astros could both benefit from a shorter seasonal workload. Injuries slowed the 43-year-old late last season. He lasted only two innings in Houston's Game 1 loss to the Chicago White Sox in the World Series due to a hamstring injury. Clemens, who turns 44 in August, has been working out with his son Koby, a Houston Minor League prospect.

Clemens, 31-12 with a 2.43 ERA over the last two years with Houston, was not offered arbitration by the Astros during the winter, making him ineligible to re-sign with Houston before May 1.

That left the door open for other suitors, but Clemens decided to participate in the World Baseball Classic while he pondered his future.

The four finalists pursued Clemens diligently, but in the end the hometown Astros were able to convince the 11-time All-Star to take another shot with the Astros.

Clemens has more career wins than any other living pitcher, ranking ninth all-time with 341 career victories. In 22 seasons with the Red Sox, Blue Jays, Yankees and Astros Clemens is 341-172 with a 3.12 ERA and 4,502 career strikeouts. His strikeout total is second only to Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan (5,714) on the all-time list. >>

• 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone think that there is a chance that Clemens does not sign w/Houston or any team for that matter? Or if he does sign, is there a chance that he will not be as effective as he has been?
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • ^^He was pitching great in the WBC, and he's a real stickler for being in game shape. I think he'll end up around 13-4 with a 3.4 era. Not bad at all. He's going to the Stros btw.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
    IT'S OFFICIAL!

Just made announcement.
  • I'm a little surprised that he chose the Astros, unless he is just looking for pitching for the rest of the season. Houston is going to have a tough time making the playoffs this year--the NL East is very strong with three serious contenders, and I doubt the Astros can catch the Cardinals. The Houston rotation is a little shaky as well, with Backe injured and Pettite having an off year. And you can't forget about the implosion of Brad Lidge. If Clemens had gone to any of the three AL Teams that were vying for him, he could have taken them into the playoffs with relative ease.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)

<< <i>I'm a little surprised that he chose the Astros, unless he is just looking for pitching for the rest of the season. Houston is going to have a tough time making the playoffs this year--the NL East is very strong with three serious contenders, and I doubt the Astros can catch the Cardinals. The Houston rotation is a little shaky as well, with Backe injured and Pettite having an off year. And you can't forget about the implosion of Brad Lidge. If Clemens had gone to any of the three AL Teams that were vying for him, he could have taken them into the playoffs with relative ease. >>

Considering we were 15-30 at this time and still made the World Series, anything is possible. Keep in mind that we are only 6.5 games out of the Central AND only three games out of the Wild Card AND we have been slumping big time as of late.

I wouldn't write us off just yet if I were you image

Edited to add: Post # 1000 wooo-hooo! image
    Brad Lidge = Keith Foulke

Good luck.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Lidge has been solid this year, sans a couple shaky outings.

The stros will be fine, and Clemens' return will certainly help Petitte who has been in a mysterious slump all year, and his return would (I think) most certainly pump up the whole team.
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    At this point I could care less. There is alot of good baseball going around this year and Roger isnt the center of the universe. Between him and Bonds, Terrell Owens and Ricky Williams in football, and a few others around sports you would think the world revolves around these guys every move, decision, etc.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

<< <i>At this point I could care less. There is alot of good baseball going around this year and Roger isnt the center of the universe. Between him and Bonds, Terrell Owens and Ricky Williams in football, and a few others around sports you would think the world revolves around these guys every move, decision, etc. >>

How can you put Clemens in the same "class" as Bonds (steriod user and a complete arse), TO (back stabber and attention whore) , and Ricky (4x suspended pot smoker)?

Sounds like someone is bitter to me.

<< <i>
    Sounds like someone is bitter to me. >>

Exactly what I was thinking. If he had signed with the yankees, it'd be 'oh my god the yankees finally have a good pitcher!' but the sour grapes kick in, and it's 'I'm so sick of the Clemens stuff'.

• << <i>Lidge has been solid this year, sans a couple shaky outings. >>

A closer with an ERA over 5 is anything but solid.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What, like this was a surprise?
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I think he really blew a great chance to finish his career in Boston - where it all started for him. Of course, for selfish reasons, I was hoping he would come back to the Sox, but it also would have made for some great baseball story lines over the rest of the season. As it stands, he took the safe path back for another big payday. How can he possibly say his comeback was about "winning", when realistically the Astros aren't going to have much of a shot this season against teams like the Cardinals or the Mets.
    Well, the Stros did make it to the world series last year, beating the Cardinals en route to it, so it's not unrealistic to expect they can do it again.

Also, at this time last year, the Stros were 15 games under .500, while this year they are in a much better position. Throw in the likelihood of his getting to play major league ball with his son this fall, and you have why he stayed in Houston.

<< <i>

<< <i>At this point I could care less. There is alot of good baseball going around this year and Roger isnt the center of the universe. Between him and Bonds, Terrell Owens and Ricky Williams in football, and a few others around sports you would think the world revolves around these guys every move, decision, etc. >>

How can you put Clemens in the same "class" as Bonds (steriod user and a complete arse), TO (back stabber and attention whore) , and Ricky (4x suspended pot smoker)?

Sounds like someone is bitter to me. >>

I did not put Roger in the same class as far as person, human being, etc. Not even CLOSE and I am sorry you interpret it that way. I simply meant that it is annoying to hear about it endlessly.

And no I would not have been happy had he signed with the YAnkees. I had said all along that if anything I thought he should stay in Houston.
    -- Yogi Berra

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Previously, I was indifferent as to whether he signed with the Red Sox, but now, they could really use him given the gaping holes in the starting rotation at #4 and #5!!

It would have been nice for him to get 200+ wins with the Red Sox and possibly end his career with a WS ring and "mend fences" with the team (and make up for Schiraldi blowing his clinching win in the 86 WS). But he probably wanted to stay home with his family, and I don't blame him. Hopefully the 'Stros will get him some runs!!
  • MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>I think he really blew a great chance to finish his career in Boston - where it all started for him. Of course, for selfish reasons, I was hoping he would come back to the Sox, but it also would have made for some great baseball story lines over the rest of the season. As it stands, he took the safe path back for another big payday. How can he possibly say his comeback was about "winning", when realistically the Astros aren't going to have much of a shot this season against teams like the Cardinals or the Mets. >>

Frank Zappa once had an album titled "We're only in it for the money". This would make a good
    headline to describe Roger Clemens. I hope he falls flat on his face for the Astros and his ego is crushed.
  • Regardless of the fact that the Astros were at one point 15-30 last year and made it to the World Series, they are going to have a tougher time making the playoffs this year. Last year you had a very weak West Division, and the East had two decent teams, but they were weak in comparison to the Astros. This year you have a stronger West division, and a much improved East division, with three teams all serious contenders. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the Astros make the playoffs again; I just don't see it happening unless they win the division...and who here will say the Astros are better than the Cardinals?
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
    Funny y'all talk about money... Allegedly both the Sox and Yanks offered significantly more and the Sox even offered him the same travel deal as the Astros. The only reason he came back was so he could play with his son, Koby.

• << <i>I did not put Roger in the same class as far as person, human being, etc. Not even CLOSE and I am sorry you interpret it that way. I simply meant that it is annoying to hear about it endlessly.

And no I would not have been happy had he signed with the YAnkees. I had said all along that if anything I thought he should stay in Houston. >>

annoying to hear about it endlessly

Now you should see why other markets dislike the Yankees!!!
    Hey toilet bowl man, go crawl back under the rock you were hiding beneath the whole time the Yankees were schooling the Tigers.
    -- Yogi Berra

• IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    20whatever million pro-rated flushed down the toilet, the Astros aren't going anywhere this year.

• I just read he gave up a home run today.