Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1976/77 OPC hockey card shop find.....

I'm in some rinky-dink card shop in Philly that's trying to sell their stock out to make room for action figures and other toys, and I found these not knowing what to think. First off I've never seen 70s OPC with such straight edges, but they're regulation size so trimming is out of the question. Then I'm thinking sheet-cut, but the surfaces are very nice and there is slight bleeding from the green on the back to the front- I was under the impression that this happens as cards get older, and if they were in a sheet then the bleeding wouldn't occur. Maybe I'm wrong. I have no idea what to think but I paid $5 a piece for them so it's not like I'll be out a lot of money. I'd like to grade and sell, but I have no idea whether they'll come back sheet-cut or not.

76opc1

76opc2

76opc3

76opc4

76opc5

76opc6

Any opinions?

Lee

Comments

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    They don't look sheetcut to me.. good luck with the grades if you decide to send them.
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    very nice, thanks for the scans
    Bob
  • Options

<< <i>I'd like to grade and sell, but I have no idea whether they'll come back sheet-cut or not. >>

I think that they are probably sheet cut. Not enough "side threads" for the nornal "pack card". If you are looking to sell, solid Beckett 9.0, maybe higher .
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking- the edges are way to straight for OPC, but they didn't seem sheet-cut either, so who knows. I was thinking BGS also (in case they are sheet cut), but I've never submitted anything to BGS.

Lee
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    The backs all show the same rough cut along the bottom. My guess is they're legit.
  • Options
    1976-77 OPC was one of the best years for OPC in terms of non rough cuts . Also a dealer that lives close to me and i live about 35 minutes from the OPC plant bought hundreds of sheets directly from OPC and had a local printing press cut them up and then sold them as sets. He did this in the late 80's using a similar process as OPC used but with much more care . He sold many of these sets throughout North America in hte late 80's early 90's at the National .