Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone Know How to Pop Old BGS Holders?

I have a few old BGS slabs I want to crack for resub. Does anyone have a clue how best to crack them? They appear to be inpenetrable.

Comments

• Options
    It might just be easier to send them in already slabbed. That way, atleast if there is a flub it isn't on you.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Cut of a top corner with a wire cutter stick a flat head screwdriver in the opening turn and it should pop right open. if it doesn't pop right away you may need to carefully run the screwdriver around the outer edge after sticking it in the hole you made.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I had to crack one a year or so ago and a buddy came over with a dremel. The slab ate 3 or 4 blades in the process; each corner had to be sawed off.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options

<< <i>It might just be easier to send them in already slabbed. That way, atleast if there is a flub it isn't on you. >>

Beckett makes you sign a waiver so if they mess up your card.....so sorry.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    VintageJeffVintageJeff Posts: 1,282

<< <i>

<< <i>It might just be easier to send them in already slabbed. That way, atleast if there is a flub it isn't on you. >>

Beckett makes you sign a waiver so if they mess up your card.....so sorry. >>

That may be what beckett does but I thought he was talking about sending it to psa I don't think they do that.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    I think your right. Oops. I know some crack old BGS and resend to BGS to get a higher grade. Same for a few other companies.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    somebody who knows how to do this needs to make a mpeg of it for others to view.
    Loth
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I will take some pics and show how easy it is to do. Give me a little bit and I will get back to you.
  • Options
    Okay, I am not going to bust this card out but I can show you how to. I should have taken pics a few months ago when I busted about ten of them (it was really fun, I couldnt stop).

Heres the card for your viewing pleasure

Take the card and place on the floor. Turn the slab on its face and take a flathead screwdriver and place it in the crease between the two halves. Press straight down using your body weight and the seal will crack. You will know the seal is broken because it will turn white. Do this all around the slab as needed. Sometimes a good amount of pressure will crack the whole side. anyway repeat this step until the seal all around the slab is white.

Next, take the flathead insert it between the halves and pry up and you are in. Its real easy, dont give up!

Once in, take the card out of the baggy by trimming the side of the bag with a pair of small (sharp) scissors. Pull out the card and send it to PSA! image

Of course if this does not work, you can call this guy to chew on them for a while. 1-800-get-plax
  • Options
    I just bash mine with a hammer til' it cracks. Do the same thing with PSA as well
  • Options
    I put the top in a vise and tightened it. the top became all cracked up then I got a flathead to pop it open. No problems.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I just bash mine with a hammer til' it cracks. Do the same thing with PSA as well >>

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your help (and jokes). I'll try it and let you know if I come through the experience with all my fingers intact. BTW, I will be submitting the cards to PSA.