Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What is your Favorite Set and the Song that Goes with It?

OK - I know this may sound dumb.

But most know how much I like music.

Well, I really like the 65T set and for whatever reason, I thought of the song "I Got You Babe."

It was just about my favorite song that year for a vocal - my favorite Rock Band was the Kinks - with "You Really Got Me."

So match up your set with your song.

If everyone finds this crazy - well...this thread will die a hard death along with all the "One Hit Wonders" of the last century.

mike

Mike

Comments

• julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    69T blind faith "can't find my way home"

blind faith wikipedia

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • This is too easy....

U2 "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"

Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • LWMMLWMM Posts: 471
    Not my favourite per se, but T206 and Kanye West's golddigger.
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Very creative, Stone. It's a hard question for me, since I collected cards as a kid, then dropped the cards and bought a lot of music, then swung toward cards again. I didn't realize it until now, but I was never into both heavily at the same time.

Anyway, my favorite set is easy; it's the 1970 Topps Super Glossies.

Picking a song to go with it is tougher. Here are the top songs from 1970. I'll go with Ball of Confusion, but instead of the Temptations' version, I'll take the Love and Rockets version from 1986.

• 1976 Topps Baseball . . . AFTERNOON DELIGHT.
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    When I was a kid I received a Baseball Card Collectors kit from someone. The thing had reprints of most of the top cards in the hobby and came with a record, The record was called "Baseball the first 100 years". I listened to that record so much it wore a hole in it. It had different calls from some of the greatest games throughout the ages on it, The giants win the pennant call, Lou Gehrigs famous speech etc, etc, It also had Willie, Mickey and the Duke as well as That old Joe Dimaggio song about his hitting streak. The record was narrated by Curt gowdy It was really an awesome piece, I would love to have it on cd.

• onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    I'm a little more modern... the only 'set' I'm chasing is the '99 Bowman (both regular and chrome.) Most of the time I'm searching for additional Chris Sabo's to add to my collection.

I can't think of anything more I like to listen to in my hobby room than Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and classic (not the newer stuff) Eric Clapton...

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    When I was selling cards at flea markets and card shows at 13 years old the radio station in the malls/markets were constantly playing Sheryl Crow - All I Wanna Do is have some fun...

Whenever I hear that song it brings back memories of selling cards and certain cards I had..

If I were to put a set to the song hands down it would be 1994 Pinnacle Hockey

imageimage

• << <i>OK - I know this may sound dumb.

But most know how much I like music.

Well, I really like the 65T set and for whatever reason, I thought of the song "I Got You Babe." >>

I think that song would go with 1933 Goudey!
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Well I'm collecting '55 All Americans. One of the #1's that year was Tennessee Ernie Ford's "Sixteen Tons", one I like and seems appropriate, since it seems it'll take about sixteen tons of money for me to afford the whole set.

From my own time, I must've bought more 1985 topps cards than anyone in history. Every dollar I made I took the bike to the store for three more packs. Dire Straights "Money for Nothing" was #1 at the time. I'm back to being a country bumpkin again, but everytime I hear that song I have to sing along and get the air guitar going.

shawn
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    This is by no means my favorite set, but,When I was in college I was sitting in the floor of my apartment sorting through a case of 90 Donruss I just bought, I had Guns N Roses sweet child o' Mine blaring on my Stereo, When all of a sudden I looked up and was totally surrounded by cards and didnt leave a clear path to get out of the room. So there I was surrounded by cards,drinking beer, with guns n roses blaring. Man; those were the days !

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    1973 Topps and Crockidile Rock - Elton John
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wick

Ya gotta set to go with the song?

<< <i>I think that song would go with 1933 Goudey! >>

Good one Brian!

Tennessee

Great song to go with the set! It's one of my favorite leads to play on the guitar!

Great replies and thanx!

I have a lot of sets and songs - too numerous to elaborate.
    mike
    Mike
  • cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    Tennessee, I had that same collecting kit. In fact, I just found the 45 in a box the other day. I wish I had a record player now to relive it. I think I listened to it a hundred times when I was a kid.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    1986 Topps and "Stand By Me". I started buying those shortly after the movie came out in summer of '86.
  • sayheykid54sayheykid54 Posts: 779 ✭✭
    1954 Topps and Marvin Gaye's masterpiece "What's Goin On"
  • mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    1978 Topps and Superfreak!
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Two things can summarize my early childhood years....1976 topps football and Kiss Alive II. What a lineup? Payton, White, Lambert, "Too Tall' and Gene blowing fire and spitting blood! AHH! it was great to be a kid in the seventies and early eighties.
  • i would say the 1985 topps football set.... love the horizontal cards and those black borders. Appropriately, I would relate the classic Ram Jam song, Black Betty.

Whoa Black Betty!
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>Tennessee, I had that same collecting kit. In fact, I just found the 45 in a box the other day. I wish I had a record player now to relive it. I think I listened to it a hundred times when I was a kid. >>

cardfan07, I've got a record player and the Roxio software to burn a CD from a record. If you want to send it to me, I can try to make a CD or two from it. I'll return the record and a CD to you in exchange for a copy for myself!

PM me if you're interested...

• HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Oh yeah, and my choice of cards/music would probably be listening to Sgt. Peppers (image) while opening '68 Topps packs. Gawd, I'm old!

Of the songs mentioned so far, I definitely love "Sweet Child of Mine" probably the best. (I'm getting the CD out when I'm done writing this, Tennessee!) You can't help but get up and rock to that song!! But you can't go wrong with the Blues (Tommy Castro; Jonny Lang), Dire Straights, etc etc. Nice selections!

Thanks for keeping the forum "humming", Mike!

• ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    When I was originally buying up packs of '84 Donruss at my local drive through dairy, I remember listening to Prince & The Revolution a lot. So, "Let's Go Crazy!" is definitely appropriate...I would 'go crazy' buying packs!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I have named all of my PSA Set Registry sets after Bob Dylan songs. My two favorites are "Visions of Johanna" (1977 Topps Star Wars) and "Every Grain of Sand" (Magic Johnson Master Set).
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have named all of my PSA Set Registry sets after Bob Dylan songs. My two favorites are "Visions of Johanna" (1977 Topps Star Wars) and "Every Grain of Sand" (Magic Johnson Master Set). >>

Very cool!

mike
    Mike