Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Effect of Fisheyes on Grades

Before I send this '82TT Ripken in as part of my free sub, I'd like your opinions on how badly that dang fisheye is going to hurt the grade. I would assume there's no possibility of a 10, but could a 9 be realistic -- assuming no other problems with the card??

The blemish is at the bottom of the photo to the left of center and doesn't detract from the "big picture", IMO.

Thanks for any and all input...

hh

Comments

• Options
    the blemish would keep it from a 10....but the rough edges are going to shoot you to an 8 regardless....I can see atleast 4-5 nicks on the bottom and right border...

Unless it's something in the scan....
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth ..... PSA does not down grade for true factory rough cuts. I'm not saying that is right but they just don't downgrade for it.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    None!!! See for yourself.......

right here

lol
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    After pulling this card out of the box, I was checking it out and hadn't even gotten down to the bottom edge before noticing the fisheye. There is a rough cut on the bottom. I know PSA doesn't knock down on rough edges in the case of OPCs, etc., but I'm not sure how they'd judge a card from this set.

Even if it comes back an 8, it's worth sending in as part of a free sub (SMR = $98 in 8; $210 in 9).

Thanks for your advice!

• Options

<< <i>None!!! See for yourself.......

right here

lol >>

Crazy stuff. Thanks for the link'n'laugh!

I always ask for NQs, so maybe an 8 would be more realistic...

Gracias.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    If you get a '9' on this, I'll have you submit the rest of my cards. Sorry, the PD will prevent it from being a 9, the 65/35 (70/30 at best) will keep it as an eight. PSA is really tough on some of these cards that have historic print dots and this is one of those cards. If you submit, I hope you follow up with the results. Good luck Hoof.
  • Options
    rw2winrw2win Posts: 557
    I've seen 75's with 7 or 8 of those and still got an 8 grade.
  • Options
    8/9
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    No effect

aconte
  • Options
    PSA will look at the rough cut and see if it detracts from the over all appeal of the card. Look at the back edges, do they look chippy because of the cut??

THAT will affect you!!

It's the battle...if it's Topps...you want a straight cut over a rough cut....if it's OPC..you want the rough cut over the straight cut.
    But even within that..lies a range of degree of roughness. I have OPC cards that were fresh out of wax...that had 4 rough cut edges...the cards just look plain ugly...I wouldn't even think of submitting them.

So 1 or 2 edges OPC.....buts, it's a crapshoot even with one.

As for the PD....that Mantle still has incredible appeal....and the older issues had alot of print defects...with the older stuff, you can get away with alot more. The Ripken is common for that mark....like the red dot on the 87 Fleer Jordans.....if the card has it..most of the time it will get knocked for it. There's too many out there that don't have the dots.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I just got back five 1975 Topps cards that I thought were pretty good. One had a fisheye. Take a look at the scan. I thought they all were nice and four of the five got 8's. I definitely think that the fisheye lowered the grade on the other card. al.

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention, all five cards are available on ebay now under al_n_sandy14
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I've submitted a ton of 75's and fish eye's definately do not stop a card from getting a 9. But, probably depends on the grader.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I have several 1967 PSA 9s with multiple fish eyes, like this one:

(Check around the black border, and on the name)

It seems this manufacturing defect is treated like a rough cut, i.e., no deduction.

Not sure if the same holds true for other years.
    Capecards
  • Options
    Larry, my 8 of the Tommy John does not have the fish eyes!! Let's trade!! LOL image
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options

<< <i>PSA will look at the rough cut and see if it detracts from the over all appeal of the card. Look at the back edges, do they look chippy because of the cut?? >>

To answer 5STAT's question above, the bottom back edge is as clean and straight as they get -- the rough edge is just on the front.

I'll try to remember and post the resulting grade.

Thanks again!
  • Options

<< <i>The blemish is at the bottom of the photo to the left of center and doesn't detract from the "big picture", IMO. >>

But, when you focus on the name, it's quite distracting. I'm really curious what it'll come out as...
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I've said it a million times, 90% of PSA's grades is the corners. I always hear the "eye appeal" factor being mentioned but that's really all almost meaningless unless it causes a qualifier. I would say 95% of my orders are true to that. Occasionally you get a weird grader (possibly a new one) that takes eye appeal into account but rarely. I can usually hit a big run of 9's and an occaisional 10 on 70's stuff just by going on corners alone (assuming nothing else will cause a qualifier).