Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Basketball Hall of Fame

I am not a basketball fan, so if I sound ignorant, forgive me.

When is a player eligible for the Hall of Fame. Spedifically, when is Michael Jordan going in (if he isn't already)?

Comments

• Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    wufdudewufdude Posts: 356
    Sorry to hijack the thread but your question got me thinking. I'm putting together a Basketball HOF Auto set and was thinking about current players that are locks for the HOF and possible HOFers. The list I came up with is as follows (please add or comment):

Locks

Allen Iverson
    Jason Kidd
    Gary Payton
    Kobe Bryant
    Lebron James (I know he's young but unless something tragic happens, he's a lock)
    Tim Duncan
    Kevin Garnett
    Shaq

Possible HOFers

Steve Nash (a couple of more years like the last 2 and I say he makes it although a championship would definitely help)
    Ray Allen (I think if he continues at his current pace for 3-4 more years, he'll have a decent chance)
    Vince Carter (long shot likely)
    Penny Hardaway (without injuries would have been a lock however doubt he makes it based on first several years)
    Dwayne Wade (young but without injuries, he'll have an amazing career and will make it)
    Carmelo Anthony (see Wade)
    Grant Hill (See Hardaway)
    Elton Brand (See Wade although probably more of a long shot)
    Dirk (See Nash)
    Chris Webber (doubt it but outside chance)

Also, who are some recently retired guys that are locks. Those off the top of my head are Jordan, Pippen, Stockton, Malone. Drawing a blank after those guys.

** Adding Hakeem Olajuwon and Patrick Ewing to list of recently retired locks.

• Options
    I wouldnt consider Garnett a lock by any means - personally I think he is one of the most over rated players in the league.

I also think David Robinson belongs in your list of recently retired that is a lock for the hall of fame.

Patrick
    Looking for additions or upgrades to my Graig Nettles master player set on the registry.
  • Options
    yep, missed The Admiral

You may be right about Garnett. Unless he goes to another team, he'll likely never get a championship. However, I think he's been one of the top 10 players in the league for the last 10 years.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Locks: Barkley, Dumars, Nique, Gugliotta

Should be's: Bernard King, Adrian Dantley, Cassell, Oakley, Mourning

OK, maybe not Gugliotta.

Lee
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I know if you're not a Pacer fan you probably don't like him, but Reggie Miller has a chance, doesn't he?

12th on the all time scoring list
    All time leader in 3pt fg's made
    More games with same team than everyone but Malone and Stockton
    J. Walter Kennedy Community Service Award Winner (which I know if off the court but can garner votes)
    And one of the most clutch playoff shooters in the games history.

edited to add: Gugliotta is a lock? I don't follow basketball or it's history that well, would've never guessed this one.

shawn
  • Options
    Yes, you're right about Miller. Definite lock. I was joking about Googs.

Lee
  • Options
    Yeah, forgot about Miller. He's definitely a lock.

Funny you should say Gugliotta. I'm an NC State alum and was there during Googs' years. Horrible team we had but great player. Hated to see a very promising NBA career cut short by injuries.
  • Options
    Writer11Writer11 Posts: 738

<< <i>Locks: Barkley, Dumars, Nique, Gugliotta

Should be's: Bernard King, Adrian Dantley, Cassell, Oakley, Mourning

OK, maybe not Gugliotta.

Lee >>

Aren't Dumars and Wilkins going in this year?
  • Options
    Actually, Barkley, Dumars and Wilkins are going in.
  • Options
    Then I was right about them being locks. Somehow I knew they were going in but forgot. Yes, I'm an idiot.

Lee
  • Options
    Great thread - John Stockton is a lock. I've already forgotten (short attention span) if Tim Duncan has been mentioned - he's in.
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    The Basketball hall of fame also weighs players on their college careers heavily (Ralph Sampson comes to mind) and International players (Sabonis for example who was a legend in Europe before coming to the NBA as was Kukoc). Also female players are not to be ignored either (Lisa Leslie,Sheryl Swoopes and Cynthia Cooper). Adrian Dantley,Dennis Johnson,Chet Walker,Bobby Jones and although the NBA brass is cringing at the mere thought of it Dennis Rodman. As far as Kevin Garnett and Steve Nash goes there is to the best of my knowledge no players that won the MVP that are not in the Hall.
  • Options
    Good call on Sabonis. He's definitely going to be in. I think the fact that Sampson never won any kind of championship, even in college (thanks to my Wolfpack in '83 image ) will hurt him. His pro career was also less than stellar. It will be interesting how the WNBA ladies are treated. Considering that ladies like Cheryl Miller, Nancy Lieberman-Cline, Anne Donovan and Carol Blazejowski made it based solely on college and Olympic careers should certainly bode well for those that had successful college and pro careers.

Now Rodman would be an interesting addition to the HOF.....