Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Goldberg Auction...

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
How did the World Gold do and is anyone following the crowns and minors that should start shortly?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I eagerly await the crowns, which start at 6:00 pm PST.
  • Options
    The austrian talers seem generally close to estimate. The 2 talers are strong - mostly over estimates. These were the austrian talers I was watching. These prices do not include the 15% buyers fee (or 20% if you use eBay):

1621 salzburg taler - MS-65 - $1050 (estimate 600-700)
    1759 salzburg taler - MS-63 - $575 (estimated 500-600)
    1593 austrian kremnitz taler - MS-62 - $700 (estimated 500-600)
    1565 austrian hall taler - MS62 - $500 (estimated 500-600)
    1657 austrian graz taler - MS-62 $625 - (estimated 700-900)

Come on.....enough with the other stuff lets get to the german states!
  • Options
    I think I am conceding...imageimage

• Options
    The minors section seems to be going slowly due to many bidders. Prices are running generally in the estimates, with many on the lower end. I however will probably have to wait until about 2 am EST to see my interests come up.image
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    I'm thinking that the 3 million coins listed under Great Britian should be re-listed as United Kingdom, thus not making the rest of us insignificants have to wait so long.image

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking that the 3 million coins listed under Great Britain should be re-listed as United Kingdom, thus not making the rest of us insignificants have to wait so long. image

I'd prefer it be listed as "England" myself.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    I thought the gold was very strong throughout the day

I picked up the 1900 Japan 10 Yen (NGC MS-65) at basicly market price, nothing special.

I'm watching the auction tonite. I have picked up one of my target coins, the 1759 Salzburg taler (PCGS- MS-63) and I'm watching a few others that will becoming up in the next hour or so.
  • Options
    I think that was a good price on the 1759 salzburg taler.

I picked up the 1719 paderborn sede vacante taler PCGS AU-50.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm thinking that the 3 million coins listed under Great Britain should be re-listed as United Kingdom, thus not making the rest of us insignificants have to wait so long. image

I'd prefer it be listed as "England" myself. >>

How about "Aingleesh"?image
  • Options

<< <i>I think that was a good price on the 1759 salzburg taler.

I picked up the 1719 paderborn sede vacante taler PCGS AU-50. >>

Brent,
    What was the lot number of that coin?
  • Options
    The sede vacante from paderborn was 2130
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    How about "Aingleesh"? image

Don't I wish!

Anyway, I've bid on a few but have 0 chance of winning any. ASTB...
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Verrrry nice.image
  • Options
    Bummer - my other bid (lot 2210) was not strong enough. I really liked the strassburg taler, and I rarely see them for sale.

I am done for the night, so good night all!

Brent
  • Options
    anyone hear how Goldberg auction items 2270 and 2460 did? 2270 was a 1700 Crown and 2460 was a 1902 pattern crown... thanks in advance...

• Options

<< <i>anyone hear how Goldberg auction items 2270 and 2460 did? 2270 was a 1700 Crown and 2460 was a 1902 pattern crown... thanks in advance... >>

Lot # 2270 = $2,500 Hammer Price (excludes fees)
    Lot # 2460 = $8,400 Hammer Price (excludes fees)
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that the bidders have become extremely spoiled, due to the frequent offerings of very high quality material,by various US and European auction houses three times a year and all year long on ebay. In pre-internet days, the material included in this Goldbergs auction would have been considered as truly exceptional if not one of a kind,especially the talers ,the Latin American and the Russian section, and consequently would have brought stronger prices.Just my opinion.

Congrats on that Salzburg taler silvereagle,under different circumstances I would have bid on a few talers myself. Please post a few photos as soon as you receive it.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all due respect, I am not sure if I agree with the surmise even if I agree partially with the facts presented.

For a Spink privately struck crown to go for 4x estimate (the 1902), I would say a pretty decent price was met. Doubtless, there were prices not as good but that one was. As far as the English collector, I did not feel that the offerings of 19th C. + were that broad.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Looks like I won the 1806 Irish bronzed farthing proofimage and the 1928 Irish 3 pence proof. I was hoping to snag the 1822 Penny proof as well but I was just a little bit weak.

3p

farthing

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I really like that Farthing that ROBERTB picked up. I wanted to bid on it myself, but I held out instead for this:

Uruguay, 4 Centestimos, 1869-H, NGC MS65 BN

imageimage

I also won this lite-sider: PCGS MS64 FH 1917 T1 Standing Liberty Quarter

If anyone else here won some world coins last night, I sure would like to see what you got. image

Bill

• Options
    Nice design on that 4 centestimos piece Bill!

I went 1 for 5 last night, but picked up the one I was really hoping for.

• Options
    I think the estimate was too low on the 1902 pattern crown... I think that could be one of the best known examples...

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose I won this one...my 'max bid' on the website was $177. I understand that one can get suprised at who is the actual winner despite appearances with these internet bidding auctions. Linkage.

But there often seems to be confusion Link to liteside thread or this one about these things. I'll believe it when I see the invoice imageimageimage

• Options
    My trophiesimage

imageimage

Japan. 10 Yen, 1900 NGC MS-65

imageimage

Salzburg. Taler, 1759 PCGS MS-63
  • Options
    Beautiful coins everyone! Did anyone else have trouble staying awake last night?
    The coin which I bid on did not reach the auction block until 1:45 AM MST.
  • Options

<< <i>I suppose I won this one...my 'max bid' on the website was $177. I understand that one can get suprised at who is the actual winner despite appearances with these internet bidding auctions. Linkage.

But there often seems to be confusion Link to liteside thread or this one about these things. I'll believe it when I see the invoice imageimageimage >>

True enough. I too have been screwed by a "malfunction." My Pre-auction bid exceeded the hammer by a country mile but none-the-less the coin was sold to a floor bidder. At this point I can only ASSUME I won my lots. One last thing.......Don't even believe it when you get the invoice. In the incident I speak of above I received an invoice by email and by mail. I paid by CC asap and was told two weeks later the coin was sold the night of the auction. Then I had to wait about three weeks for a refund check.image

• Options

<< <i>Beautiful coins everyone! Did anyone else have trouble staying awake last night?
    The coin which I bid on did not reach the auction block until 1:45 AM MST. >>

I tried, but conked out. I saw the results when I woke up for work at 6:00AM.

• Options
    Those auction 'glitches' reported on the US Coin Forum involved Superior Live eBay auctions.
    I had similar results with them and will never bid on their eBay Live auctions again.
    I went out on a limb with this Goldberg auction and hope it all goes well.
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    I went 1 for 3, supposedly winning this one:

imageimage

Though I'll wait until I receive the invoice from Goldberg to celebrate. I bid in their auction in February and had no problems, so hopefully all will be well.
  • Options

<< <i>Beautiful coins everyone! Did anyone else have trouble staying awake last night?
    The coin which I bid on did not reach the auction block until 1:45 AM MST. >>

I stayed up until 1:??? waiting to bid my prime target, Lot 2646 Holland. Lion Daalder, 1589. MS-63,
    unfortunately for me the bidding went out of sight image it ended up at $4000 image
    and I was willing to go $500 maximage
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do like the 1902 Crown but have seen at least the equal go in auction for 3600 pounds. Also despite its scarcity it is after all only an earlier "Patina" bit, and NOT a Royal Mint product...

I do congratulate them for being able to pull some big prices like the aforementioned Lion Daalder. Good for the seller, not so sure about the buyer.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    I bid on the 1902 Crown and was just not aggressive enough... there were some nice coins featured but I was not too successful

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    I won this one and this one and consider myself lucky. I especially thought the 1000 reis would go higher -- the best I've ever seen was an MS60. image

The other coins I bid on all went for way above estimates. Lots of strong bidding for some countries.
  • Options

I won this one and this one and consider myself lucky. I especially thought the 1000 reis would go higher -- the best I've ever seen was an MS60.image

imageimage

I love these two and almost bid on them too. Not being able to see the revese images was all that kept me from pulling the trigger. Nice score, newsman.

• Options
    newsman,
    I really like the 1000 reis. It does seem like it would have gone higher. It was late into the night before they got to the "P"s. so you got out like a bandit in the night!
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Thanks!

I now have half of the total graded NGC population of the 1916 50 centavos -- 4 out of 8 (1 62, 2 63 and 1 64). image

If the reverse is even half as good as the obverse, this coin is better than the 64 I have in hand.

Slivereagle, the only other uncirculated 1000 reis I've seen was a heavily bagmarked raw MS60 and the guy wanted $80 for it, so I'm happy.
  • Options
    I was going to bid on Lot 2318, but didn't and it wouldn't have mattered any way cause it went for twice of what I would have bidimage