Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Big dealers dont get PD qualifiers ???

How did this card not get the pd qualifier ?

munson mini
"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
-- Yogi Berra

Comments

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I've got a regular 75 common card that has a big yellow blotch on it, Again no pd qualifier, Bought from 4-sc

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    If you are I sent that in it would get the qualifier for sure.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Thats not good! I guess the more you spend the "softer" the grading scale is. Thats Just not right.
  • Options
    SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭
    Oh gosh that's awful! What an ugly 8 !
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    you can request no qualifiers and it should be dropped accrodingly. the munson looks like it should have gotten an OC as well, but didn't...

it must be a high-end 9 to only get dropped to an 8 with no quals.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Say it aint so, Joe !!!
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

<< <i>A PSA NM-MT 8 is a super high-end card that appears Mint 9 at first glance, but upon closer inspection, the card can exhibit the following: a very slight wax stain on reverse, slightest fraying at one or two corners, a minor printing imperfection, and/or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 65/35 to 70/30 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse. >>

Sorry, but I don't see how this card doesn't meet PSA's specs for an 8. That small blotch would qualify as a "minor printing imperfection" and the centering is certainly better than 70/30. It sounds like you guys are trying to apply 9 or 10 standards to a lower grade card.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    is $15.50 a lot or little for psa 8 of a '75 munson?

graders are unbiased observers right, but is it wrong for them to first look at who is sending in the cards before they grade them for a point of reference?

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    It sounds like you guys are trying to apply 9 or 10 standards to a lower grade card. >>

No, not really. It says it all in the first line you quoted: A PSA NM-MT 8 is a super high-end card that appears Mint 9 at first glance

This card in no way appears Mint 9 at first glance. Eye appeal has to factored in here and this card doesnt have it.
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    I agree it's ugly; I would never buy a card like that myself. However, I still maintain it meets the criteria for an 8, beautiful or not.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    It sounds like you guys are trying to apply 9 or 10 standards to a lower grade card. >>

No, not really. It says it all in the first line you quoted: A PSA NM-MT 8 is a super high-end card that appears Mint 9 at first glance

This card in no way appears Mint 9 at first glance. Eye appeal has to factored in here and this card doesnt have it. >>

Exactly. No matter what way someone tries to spin it that card does not in any way, under any circumstance appear at first glance to be a MINT 9. Besides that print flaw and the obvious off centering take a look at the color on the bottom, it is faded, spotted, blotchy, etc. There just is no way that if one of us submits that card instead of one of the " big guys" that we would get an 8 with nq.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    VintageJeffVintageJeff Posts: 1,282
    Want to end the argument? Buy the card and resubmit it.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>is $15.50 a lot or little for psa 8 of a '75 munson?

graders are unbiased observers right, but is it wrong for them to first look at who is sending in the cards before they grade them for a point of reference?

Julen >>

I sold two of these cards within the last 6 months, each one sold for between $20 and $25, can't recall the exact prices. But, both cards looked a heck of a lot better than this one.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    If it was a Brett, Yount, Aaron (1 or 660), schmidt/winfield/ryan I'd have a problem with it. It's a mid-star card in questionable nice condition. If we were talking 56 Topps, then there would be some concern. I completely get where you are coming from. Where is the line drawn? ..........collector (submits > 50 cards/yr)...............super collector (submits 50 - 200 cards/yr).................seller (submits 200-1,500 cards/yr)...................super seller (submits > 1,500 cards/yr)? I fall into the 'super collector' category and have had some dumb luck and some questionable grades.

Granted, I will probably submit > 200 commons during this incredible $5.00 special that PSA has going right now, but I don't think I am going to turn-around and find myself putting 200 cards up on e-bay and I certainly don't think I will get 'special treatment' because I am sending in large submissions.

PSA - "it is what it is" - and we all 'gamble' to get a quality return on what we are sending in. I am happy when I get a 'surprise' and frustrated when I get a 'disappointment.'

I agree to disagree with you on this one. You are probably right; PSA missed this one. I really, really hope they don’t play favoritism. Nothing will bring discredit on a business (especially card grading services) quicker than favoritism/inconsistency.

Great topic, I’m sure as collectors/investors and sellers, we would all appreciate input on this, it brings into question one of the most important qualities we all seek…………………………………INTEGRITY.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Does anybody get the PD qualifier anymore? Or OF, for that matter?
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    fab4fab4 Posts: 280 ✭✭

<< <i>Granted, I will probably submit > 200 commons during this incredible $5.00 special that PSA has going right now, but I don't think I am going to turn-around and find myself putting 200 cards up on e-bay and I certainly don't think I will get 'special treatment' because I am sending in large submissions. >>

i would guess dsl or 4sc will submit 25 thousand or more a year. i know a lot of the lower grades are sold elsewhere besides ebay.

as far as the grader knowing who's cards he is grading i doubt that is the case. as far as getting special treatment again i doubt it. use simple logic: if 1 in every 200 cards you submit gets a slide (a 7 to an 8 or a missed fisheye or color blotch) just think how many they get with the quanity they submit. and if psa can do $5.00 a card on a 200 card submission just think what price you can get with a submission of 5,000 at a time.
  • Options
    Eye Appeal is not necessarily a factor in grading unless you want the bump in grade on a card that may be lacking the exact centering standards for that grade. Big dealers do not get prefferrential treatment they send in more cards and therefore get more sliders (though same %) and then someone on this board will post the slider scan and carry on and many will start to think that psa gives big guys breaks. Well I worked for Levi for 5 years, they dont come much bigger or more influential then Levi and I can tell you when i sent my cards in through Levi I did no better on the grades then when i submitted them myself this is just another message board conspiracy theory like the 314 grader.
  • Options
    I'll say this regarding integrity. Maybe it is true that based on the amount they submit there will be a higher number of cards that get the bump, but not higher percentage. I dont want to believe that any sort of preferencial treatment is given, and sincerely hope it is not the case.

The situation is a tough one to really nail down. There are examples like the one I showed posted every now and again, and in nearly each case it is a card that had been submitted by a large volume dealer. If it is truly a case where there are more of those favorable grades due to the volume, and not due to any higher of a percentage, then there still must be many cards out there submitted by the average Joe in which favorable grades are given. Until we can see evidence and examples by the average submittor then this will always be a question, at least in my eyes.

Honestly, I would love to have a submission return to me with an example like this one so that I can not only elminate doubt in my own mind, but post for all to see. Being proven wrong on this for all to see would certainly make me feel alot better, as I definately want to believe we are dealing with a completely fair and unbiased system.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Bri

I do not think that the average submitter would want to advertise that they got a higher grade then they expected. Especially if it appears like the Munson. All we can do is bid accordingly. Yes it was given an 8. Will it fetch 8 money? that is the real question.

JMO

Steve

edited to add: a few months back someone was able to purchase raw a fleer checklist. In his discussion of the card he thought it would 8. He showed scans etc. it came back a 9 and all hell broke loose.
    Good for you.
  • Options