Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Buyer reneges on winning bid and then threatens a neg

This is tantamount to extortion. Buyer wins one of my items on ebay last night (over $200 item). Today, he sends me the following email:

When I bid on this card I found that I put the wrong top all bid on this card,I apologize that I won't be able to purchase this card from you,if you plan on issuing me a negative then I will also do the same for you, it was my mistake and I do admit I am at fault. Sorry for the inconvience.

I would hate to let him get away with this. I think I would rather exchange negs with him rather than let him slide on this. If he gives me a neg, can I appeal with ebay since he was the one who committed to buy when he bid on the item? Anyone have this happen to them? This is a first for me. Any suggestions?
Collecting Vintage Baseball.
My ebay listings

Comments

• Options

I would hate to let him get away with this. I think I would rather exchange negs with him rather than let him slide on this. If he gives me a neg, can I appeal with ebay since he was the one who committed to buy when he bid on the item? Anyone have this happen to them? This is a first for me. Any suggestions? >>

Personally, without question I would Neg. him as he did not complete the contract. That is why there is a rating system, and if it is not properly used, then this will happen to another buyer.
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Send a second chance offer to the underbidder. File the "Agreed not to complete the transaction" deal with Ebay. Post the buyers ebay id so he can be blocked by those who want to.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>This is tantamount to extortion. Buyer wins one of my items on ebay last night (over $200 item). Today, he sends me the following email:

When I bid on this card I found that I put the wrong top all bid on this card,I apologize that I won't be able to purchase this card from you,if you plan on issuing me a negative then I will also do the same for you, it was my mistake and I do admit I am at fault. Sorry for the inconvience.

I would hate to let him get away with this. I think I would rather exchange negs with him rather than let him slide on this. If he gives me a neg, can I appeal with ebay since he was the one who committed to buy when he bid on the item? Anyone have this happen to them? This is a first for me. Any suggestions? >>

Send a copy of his email to Ebay, if for no other reason then to remind them how f#$ked up their feeback system is.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Send a second chance offer to the underbidder. File the "Agreed not to complete the transaction" deal with Ebay. Post the buyers ebay id so he can be blocked by those who want to. >>

You are certainly intitled to your opinion , but I disagree 100%.
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Here is what I would do:

rough-draft email language:

"Hi XX: Thanks for your bid and your email. I do not plan on leaving you
    negative feedback. I will wait the required time and file a NPB form
    with eBay to get my lost fees back. I hope this is ok with you. signed."

He might even pay rather than have to give lame excuses to the
    eBay "service people." If he negs you, respond with an explanatory
    neg.

Other option is to offer a second-chance to the other bidders, if there
    were any.

Save his extortionate email to show eBay with your NPB claim.
    Of course, block him from future bidding.

storm

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    bhl2359bhl2359 Posts: 420
    File a non-paying bidder complaint. Three of those and he is kicked off of eBay. If he leaves a negative and doesn't repond to the complaint, they will remove the feedback.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Storm. Just tell you have to file a NPB. At least that limits the number of people he can scr*w over to 3.

Ebay's feedback system does have its flaws, especially if you are a high feedback guy versus a newbie, but it is good is 99.7% of the time. I wish they could make it easier to block bidders with low feedback from bidding on high dollar cards. That is where the problems really start.
    Mike
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Here's what I reccommend. File with EBAY to get your FV Fees back. Once you file to get your final value fees back, the bidder has to respond in writing online as part of the dispute process. After 8 days, the seller gets their FV Fees credited and the non paying bidder cannot neg you. He can leave a negative comment...but not a negative strike in your profile. EBAY notes below his comment that he didn't pay for a completed auction.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    Without a doubt, I would file the NPBA thru ebay. If he doesn't respond, his feedback would not count (the comment he leaves will, b ut the negative won't). Regardless of the fact, I would email him and tell him that I would be happy to exchange negative feedback.
    The bottom line is....
    I would never allow anyone to push me around like that, especially if they did not offer to pay me the listing and final value fees plus compensation!
    Rich
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    File a NPB against him on Ebay, contact the 2nd highest bidder and offer him a second chance to buy and leave it at that. Hopefully your NPB will be the guy's third or whatever it is that will get him NARU'ed and go on with your life.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    I had a bidder do the same thing to me a month or so ago, i did'nt leave him a neg but sent him a npb notice to start the process of getting my fees back . the jerk left me a neg for that, if e bay does'nt figure out a better system for feedback by not allowing npb to leave negs i think they stand the chance of turning some sellers off. you're feedback is you're rep on e bay for selling and enough really stupid people can mess it up for everyone. PB
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Kurtman didn't out the buyer, but I'll be more than happy to. One person that's going into my blocked bidder's list.

pasteboardgems

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    Hey pb:
    Did the idiot reply to the NPBA? If not, the negative he left you will vanish soon enough.
    Rich
  • Options
    baseballfanaticbaseballfanatic Posts: 2,415 ✭✭
    46 Bid Retractions?????
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    It would be a real shame if someone were to ruin his auctions. I really hope that doesn't happen. Especially if they were to create a new account with a separate email address, place top-all bids as the auctions end, and then never pay. That would just be tragic.

Not that I'm trying to give anyone any ideas.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Go to the Help section on ebay, find "feedback extortion". Send them the copy of the email with full headers and ask them what they think you should do. You have 100% feedback, point that out and let them know you've busted your a$$ to keep it perfect and you don't want it ruined by some non-paying scumbag. Report him for the feedback extortion, you can go with the npb later.

See what they suggest. You have a few days to report him for non-paying.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions and replies. The board members here never cease to amaze me at how helpful they are when someone asks a question.

I did not even notice this twit had 46 bid retractions (thanks for the heads up, bbfanatic). Now, I feel sure his claim that his bid was an accident is complete BS. I am going to explore any remedy ebay has including the npb and the feedback extortion as suggested. I do have 100% feedback and have worked very hard to keep that. But, if I have to exchange negs with this creep, so be it. I knew my spotless feedback would not last forever, but too bad it will be from a situation like this.

My thanks again to all! Happy Memorial Day!
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings