Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Master player Sets??

I was curious about something.

I was looking through some of the Master Player Sets on PSA.

A Master set is supposed to contain any and every cards printed that that player appreared on isn't it??

The reason I ask, is that I was digging through some old cards of my and found a couple 1985 DOnruss Action All Star sets. Since they have been sitting for so long, they look like they are in somewhat decent shape and I was thinking about getting them graded in the thoughts that someone would possibly need them for their Master sets. Well, when I went to look at some of the player sets that have cards, they are NOT included in the Master set registry.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Rob Ruth

Comments

• Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Master set owners have to request cards be added by emailing PSA. It takes about 12 weeks, but eventually the cards are added.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    CopperJJCopperJJ Posts: 587 ✭✭✭
    I have requested several of the player sets currently available. Some cards are not listed in the master sets, simply because there have been none graded. Once the card is graded, then a request can be made to include it in the master sets.
    Clayton Kershaw - master set
    Signed Sets:
    2011 Topps Heritage BB
    1960s & 1970s Topps decade Cincinnati Reds
    2006-2016 A&G HOFers
  • Options
    PSA has told me that they won't add any cards to the master HANK AARON registry that were produced after he stopped playing (1976). I then questioned why the Babe Ruth registry has cards from 1960ish (Fleer). Their answer didn't make sense. They really need to be more consistent...
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

I am glad you started this thread Rob. I was asking the same questions yesterday on the 1969 Citgo Coin thread.

It seems ridiculous to have to request items be added to a set if the item is already in another players Master Set.

Of course it should be an issue that came onto the market during the players career. Once a card or coin or whatever qualifies for addition it should just automatically happen.

Another poster suggested a third category perhaps a legendary set, that could include cards issued after the retirement of a player, this would amount to a pretty complete checklist of what was out there for a particular player.

I think this is an absolute no brainer. Once a precedence is set, it's going to happen sooner or later. Why not save everyone the time? I don't understand the reasoning behind there being an item graded. I would think some people aren't sending in items for grading because they aren't in their set. That would seem to be a bad decision not only as far as consistency is concerned but as a revenue generator too.

Any response from the powers that be?

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    I agree with you completely, i think they are just scared of opening a HUGE can of worms by allowing everythinf. For example the current Aaron masterset is 189...if they allow all of his cards, it would probably be 300+, due to all the junk that was produced in the 1990-2006 era. That being said, there still needs to be consistency between what is allowed for different players...and if they are going to grade coins, why not pins?