Home Sports Talk

Ricky Williams signed in the CFL

Suspended Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams is headed north this season to play with the CFL's Toronto Argonauts.

CBC Sports

Ricky Williams brings some NFL star power to the CFL. (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)
The Argonauts confirmed one of the biggest signings in franchise history at a Sunday afternoon news conference.

"I am excited to begin this new chapter of my life," Williams said in a release. "Everyone I have met with the Toronto Argonauts organization has been extremely welcoming and kind, from the owners to management to the football staff.

"I am looking forward to join my new teammates at training camp and get to know them and the city of Toronto. I can't wait to hit the field and take part in community events as an Argo."

Williams, 29, was shown on the Rogers Centre video screen at the Toronto Blue Jays baseball game about one hour before the scheduled media conference. He was wearing an Argonauts hat and was introduced as the team's newest player, an annoucement which drew cheers from many in the crowd.

Williams was suspended for the entire 2006 NFL season after a fourth positive drug test.

The NFL never revealed which drug was found in Williams's system. His previous positive tests were for marijuana, although the latest one apparently involved a different drug.

"Ricky has made mistakes, but he will be the first to tell you he has learned from those mistakes. You only have to spend 10 minutes with him to understand," said Argos president and CEO Keith Pelley.

The Argonauts have reportedly agreed to pay Williams $250,000 per season. That would make him the highest-paid running back in the CFL.

In order to sign with the Argos, Williams - the former NFL rushing champion and 1998 Heisman Trophy winner as the top U.S. collegiate player - had to get the Miami Dolphins' blessing to play in the CFL next season.

Dolphins coach Nick Saban issued a statement saying the team was leaving the decision to Williams. However, Miami did insist on guarantees the star running back be returned to the Dolphins in 2007 provided he gets reinstated by the NFL.

Retired and returned

Williams, a former University of Texas product, sat out the full 2004 NFL campaign after making a surprise announcement that he was retiring from football.

He spent his time away from the sport travelling the world - from Australia to India - and studying holistic medicine.

Williams returned to the Dolphins last season after a one-year hiatus. He still owes the club $8.6 million US for breaching his contract when he retired, which is one of the reasons he returned to the game in 2005.

Williams served a four-game suspension at the start of 2005 for his third violation of the NFL drug program.

The 2002 NFL rushing champion ran for 743 yards and averaged 4.4 yards per carry last season with the Dolphins.

The Argonauts opened training camp a week ago and are scheduled to play their first exhibition game on June 2.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suprised that 250 K would make him the highest paid runner in the leaugue, also suprised he would even play for that.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Suprised that 250 K would make him the highest paid runner in the leaugue, also suprised he would even play for that. >>

I heard a couple weeks ago an interview with the GM of the Toronto team that said the players, on average, make between 60-80k.

I think his signing and playing with them is the best possible thing for him at this moment...it keeps him from having (another) year long layoff, and will allow him to get some bulk back that he lost while on his first year off.

I wonder if it will bring more people to the games, too?
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree him playing football is definately a good move instead of bumming around and possibly getting into trouble, thats the pro but the con is what if he gets hurt? Also is it worth the 250 k? For me and you sure but if he owes as much as 8 mill to the Dolphins that wont put a dent into it. I think that the audience will prove to be larger than norm to see him play, great move for the argonauts but Im skeptical about it being the best move for Ricky.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I didn't realize ganja was legal in Canada.
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't realize ganja was legal in Canada. >>

i dunno about toronto.. but ive enjoyed some "B.C. Bud"..
    ·p_A·
  • phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

It's not, technically, although it is rather spottily enforced. Cops here in Vancouver no longer bother arresting for simple possession. They prefer to concentrate their efforts on shutting down grow-ops.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

It's not, technically, although it is rather spottily enforced. Cops here in Vancouver no longer bother arresting for simple possession. They prefer to concentrate their efforts on shutting down grow-ops. >>

Oh No! Enlightened drug policy! Thank God we don't have that here!!
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Let's hope he stays there.