Home U.S. Coin Forum

Flea Market Coin Finding

Sunday was a fantastic day for flea markets, garage/yard sales, estate sales everywhere in the area. I went to one of my favorite flea markets and got there at 6:30 in time to watch sellers setting up. One of those sellers pulled out a few large black binders that appeared to be full of plastic coin holder pages so I flipped one open. Full of Indian and Lincoln Cents all in 2x2's. The other book was all full of Nickels in 2x2's. The seller said he used to try to be a coin dealer but no money it is so dumping the entire mess. He wanted $300 for the Cent book and $200 for the Nickel book. Due to a lack of money I offered $170 for the Nickels and he hesitated and finally took that amount. Sure wish I had enough to buy the cent book. When I got home I sat down and this is what I purchased:

1- Indian Head Cent - 1875 in less than G-4
47 - Liberty Head Nickels from 1897 to 1912 in G-4 to VG-8
228 - Buffalo/Indian Head Nickels from 1919 to 1938 in VG-8 to
AU-50 or better
19 - Jefferson Nickels form the 30's and 40's
20 - Jefferson Nickels in the 1970 area all proofs
1- 3" black 3 ringed binder
20 - plastic pages for holding 20- 2x2's per page.

The 2x2's were all badly marked with notes, dates, prices, comments and badly placed staples so I started to open each one today. I will start new Whitman albums for some of these. The rest will go back into 2x2's.
Carl

Comments

• Good Find!image
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    sounds like a nice little outting...thumbs up
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    Saturday I picked up a 1 oz. silver round that was marked $10. After I paid the guy for it, he gave his wife hell for not marking it up. image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    You can find coins at flea markets?

Russ, NCNE
  • RVDavisRVDavis Posts: 1,137
    I found an 1878 P Morgan, VAM 44 at a flea market here in Daytona. It was only AU 58 at ANACS, though but the price was right at $10 (grin). I buy coins at flea markets almost exclusively. Have to look at a lot of junk but there are good coins out there. I bought 3 1878 8 TF VAM 16 recently, MS 61, 62 and 63.
    Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.

• << <i>Saturday I picked up a 1 oz. silver round that was marked $10. After I paid the guy for it, he gave his wife hell for not marking it up. image >>

I had a similar situation a few weeks ago, but I got 2 1985 Engelhard Prospector coins for $12 each and a junk peace dollar for $10. Silver was over $13 at the time.
  • carlcarl Posts: 2,054

<< <i>You can find coins at flea markets?

Russ, NCNE >>

I hope your kidding. Probably half or much more of my collection is through flea markets. Some flea markets in this area have permanent coin dealers. Many have coins or collections that they inherited and just want to get rid of the stuff. In the case of my last Sunday experience the guy just wanted out of the coin dealer buisness. At a local flea market there is a guy we call Wisconsin Bob. He originally showed up there about a year or so ago to sell of his coin collction. He did so well at selling and buying coins for a profit he became a steady Friday only flea market coin dealer. One of the things I've found out is you have to ask. At flea markets, garage/yard sales, estate sales you have to ask if there are any coins around to be gotten rid of.
    Carl
  • I once went to a flea market in search of coins. The only thing I found were a bunch of druggies...
    Please download this app to help fight cancer at 0 cost. At no extra cost to you purchases from Amazon and other participating retailers will benefit research!

http://my.affinity.is/cancer-research?referral_code=MjI4Nzgz
  • a039a039 Posts: 1,546

<< <i>You can find coins at flea markets? >>

Yes, and from looks ( and smells ) of some of the dealers I am pretty sure you can find fleas at coin markets image
  • my local flea market has 5 regular dealers, two of which have huge displays, lighted cases and tons of overgraded overpriced Morgans, peace dollars and state quarters...oh the joy lol.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find a lot of times flea markets have things like 1986 SOL proof dollars for $45 or something crazy. It's hard to find any kind of bargin.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Flea markets are different all over the world. In some areas of the US they have them with virtually thousands of sellers. One around here has over a thousand on Sundays. Some indoor all year long flea markets have 400 to 500 dealers and some have 20 or 30. Some are open 1 day a week, some 2 or 3 and some every day. Many have mostly new merchandise and many have old junk and some have antiques.
    Remember that flea markets are people and people are different everywhere.
    Carl
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    back luck here in NH. darn yankees know the value of everything.
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Our flea market charges for admission.
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    I got a liberty walker, a merc dime and a standing liberty quarter for $6

None are wonderful but hey they are below melt.

I am excted about the dateless slq as it is my first. I want to get a nice 1 or 2 or soooo of these.

O well I was excited.

I did pass up the $20 1972 proof set though.

• GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I seem to remember smoeone from here finding some absurd coin at a flea market and getting it into some absurdly graded holder........... image

imageimage

• RVDavisRVDavis Posts: 1,137
    I got an 1878 7/8tf VAM 44 at a flea market, as mentioned above. Paid $ 10 in 1992. It slabbed at AU 58. That coins is selling for stupid money these days (over $ 10,000).
    Proud recipient of YOU SUCK more than once and less than 100 times.
  • I found a 1944S USA-PHIL 50C in a box with crusty foreign coins. That and 2 Canadian silver dimes cost me $1.00. So, I sent the 50C Phill to NCS and cost about $25. It came back in a XF details holder. I think they have a catalog value of $2 - $3.

Jerry
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well Jerry,

I have an island for sale ... but for you... I'll rent it image

HE>I

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file