Home U.S. Coin Forum

I was snipped....He who laughs last laughs best

Comments

• How does someone stay in business with losses like that?
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Looks like Centsles lost $600 in one month trying to turn around this Kellogg. Win some and lose some. Centsles is all over ebay. Must be a busy guy.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • $610 plus $25 postage plus sellers fees is closer to $700
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is interesting because Centsles also was one of 2 active underbidders on Kalch23's MS61 $3 gold on ebay. The coin fetched a fairly strong price. High enough where I wonder if Centsles could have made a profit on it...or was hoping for an upgrade coin.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Oops. It is the same coin!image -Dan
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Based on the selling price, ALL of the bidders would have lost money. It is interesting that moving the coin to an NNC slab didn't get rid of the "damaged, repaired, whizzed" designation. It turned into harshly cleaned.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that he who laughs last was slow-witted.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was snipped

My wife wanted me to do that, but I said 'no way'! image
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was snipped My wife wanted me to do that, but I said 'no way'! image >>

peacockcoins

• mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

NNC is centsles, is it not?

Amazing, he bought a coin in AU details, VF30 holder, and then juiced it up to MS-60 by his own grading company, only to get hosed (pay it forward works....you reap what you sow).

• << I was snipped My wife wanted me to do that, but I said 'no way'!

Gee I guess last laugh is on me
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Before clicking the second link, I knew what it would be. What a scumbag senseless is. It must have been really bad for NNC to declare it a problem coin. image
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NNC is centsles, is it not?

Amazing, he bought a coin in AU details, VF30 holder, and then juiced it up to MS-60 by his own grading company, only to get hosed (pay it forward works....you reap what you sow).

image >>

I do not think Centsles owns NNC. He used to be a big dealer of ACG clabs, and then after that whole mess, he turned to NNC. Whether or not he owns it, I do not know for sure, but I would think he does not.
  • RGTRGT Posts: 508 ✭✭
    That's encouraging. I lost two coins last night as the underbidder, one to Centsles and one to Fairtraders. At least I have a chance to see one of them offered again at a reasonable price. I'll just have to start looking at his NNC slabs.
  • Centles..... mmmm.... yep it was.... image
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NNC is centsles, is it not?

image >>

Censles snips coin 4/28 6 PM on a Friday
    Seller's payment instructions
    I accept will money orders and cashier checks only on this item.
    Centles leaves feedback 5/19
    Censles posts coin on ebay 5/23
    Censles sells coin 5/28

NNC is centsles!

I was unaware of that! lol But have noticed bad feedback on these nnc coins.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Wow- this really lowers my opinion of nnc..... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    i guess the market is not that strong. funny post. thanks.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Centles seems to be buying every decent raw gold coin on Ebay -- I rarely seem him sell any, though.

He must buy them for his retirement "stash" from the funds generated from the crap coins he sells in third world holders! image
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On their website, they state they they don't buy or sell coins, that they don't slab whizzed coins and lastly, that they don't guarantee anything they grade!

Does anyone know who's working for this outfit? When it was started?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He lost on this one, but Centsles seems to do quite well most of the time flipping them. What I dont understand is collectors paying big bucks for a coin with lousy pictures in a "funky" slab. I'd much rather pay up for a raw coin with good pictures. But thats what makes a market I guess.

-RG
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I thought Centsles won the PCGS grading competition a few years ago...

True?
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    True. He does know how to grade.
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Cant somone look up who owns NNC?.....and tie his name into it. Does Centles hang out here? Who is he/she?
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    dang, i thought you had a vasectomy - you meant SNIPED!
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I was snipped..."

That's gotta hurt image

<< <i>Cant somone look up who owns NNC?.....and tie his name into it. Does Centles hang out here? Who is he/she? >>

Well, the www.nnccoingrading.com domain name registrar is bob johnson of st. cloud florida.

The last time I bought something from centsles and paid via paypal, the recipient was robert a. johnson at centsles@gte.net, which is located in florida.

Amazingly enough both have 813 area code numbers.

I am by no means a detective so make up your own mind.

• librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    I once lost a 1894p "proof"to someone else 3 yrs ago 1260.00 some stupid number like that,it was ...........centslesimage .1$
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    mercurydimeguy..............seems obvious to me. Bob has himself a slabbing machine. But he knows how to grade......Conder101...you kidding?
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    No I'm not kidding. The first year of the World Series of Grading I'm fairly sure that Centsles won the overall dealers division, and I KNOW he won one of the preliminary rounds. There is no doubt that he KNOWS how to grade but knowing how to grade when buying, and grading when selling or grading when doing so for a third tier service can be different things.

(Just did some searching of the records of the winners but can't find the name I was thinking of. I'm sure I remember conversations about him being the winners at the time it occured. Possibly I am misremembering the name. What is Centsles real name?)
    From the day it was launched I always thought NNC was centsles...I was surprised people here didn't know that.

The business rationale is probably that you can sell a third world slab with MS62 on it for more money than a first-tier slab with XF40, or an NCS/Anacs net grade slab.

Yes, astute people will discount the third world slab but every once in a while the third world slab seller will hit a home run when a newbie bids up the price and pays through the roof.

Also, because greed (as described in a previous thread) plays a huge role some people will speculate when buying these -- will it cross? image I can buy a coin that in an MS holder is worth $6k bid for $900...maybe I can get lucky? image

Thirld world slabs in sight unseen auctions really only appeal to speculators in general, and as long as people are willing to speculate, third world slabber will continue to create product.

ALSO: A newbie might actually submit some of their coins to third world slabbers, but their coins will come back XF-40 and not MS62. Then that newbie will go to sell the coin and the third world slabber will buy it back, or someone here will post a message like -- "I just cracked a XX out of an XXX F15 slab and it graded VF30 at PCGS".
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I was snipped....He who laughs last laughs best
    Created On Monday 29, May, 2006 5:23 AM by agentjim007

are you sure he took a loss? could be a friend/shill who bought back with a reserve ( unless you got it for $500 less the 2nd time around )

let us know when and where you see it again
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, the www.nnccoingrading.com domain name registrar is bob johnson of st. cloud florida. >>

No longer any doubt.

Russ, NCNE
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just did some searching of the records of the winners but can't find the name I was thinking of. I'm sure I remember conversations about him being the winners at the time it occured. Possibly I am misremembering the name. What is Centsles real name? >>

Conder101,

You are correct. He was one of the winners in the world series of grading. He won round two of the 2004 competition with a score of 85.5, which was the highest in the professional division in any of the rounds. His name is Robert Johnson.

Russ, NCNE
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    and here I thought this thread was mistakenly posted here and about a vasectomy gone awry.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    censless has sniped auctions I was high bidder on more times than I care to remember. He must be doing pretty well as I have lost just about every gold piece I ever bid on to him.
  • and here I thought this thread was mistakenly posted here and about a vasectomy gone awry.

So are you happy now?
  • a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    Some snippets from

beware buys coin then trys to return a fake claiming to be unhappy fraud
    Seller luv2_shop85 ( 72) Mar-25-05 09:47 3962170949
    Reply by centsles: scan looks 62/3 rcd polished PIECE OF SH*Tthat may be fake(2/30f14P'sonebayR)

cashed my check, then they could not find items. probably sold for more money
    Buyer namvet9 ( 63)
    no longer a registered user Jun-28-05 07:26 3978056514
    Reply by centsles: LIKE WE CARE ABOUT A $15.50 ITEM TO GET ANOTHER .50 or $1? buy elswhere JERK

Altered photo, deceitful description. 1 week - No communication. Fraud.
    Buyer trex_johnny ( 15) Jul-18-05 20:10 8315580730
    Reply by centsles: Dino Payne who takes my pics would like to talk to U A--HOLE Get the facts rite

another big dealer with those grading company connections...AU50 at best!
    Buyer it-is-here-2006 ( 160) Feb-21-06 10:42 8382246152

I had coins regraded: NNC's AU50 = ICCS VF20 with scratches (WORST of the lot)
    Buyer fairest_angela ( 227) Feb-18-06 11:03 8370630161

I had coins regraded: NNC's MS63 = ICCS AU50 (not even close)

toolhaus i dont think you should put 4 coins all in the same side of a plastic flip.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    agentjim007, it seems your secret gas bombs really workimage-------------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    centsles was the guy who got royally screwed by the Hagers. It's in the court documents, you can look it up if you like. Looks like he learned a few tricks from ol' Al...
  • a039a039 Posts: 1,546
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>centsles was the guy who got royally screwed by the Hagers. It's in the court documents, you can look it up if you like. Looks like he learned a few tricks from ol' Al... >>

So now he screws others through NNC?? Looks that way anyway?? Just my opinion. But it if it walks like a duck.........Just another perfect example of why one should not buy third world slabs. Just my opinion of course.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file