Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1965 Topps Baseball Registry Set for Sale GPA: 7.64

I want to let everyone know that my 1965 Topps baseball PSA set is for sale. The set is currently #12 on the registry (100% complete with a GPA of 7.64). The breakdown of grades is as follows: 229 PSA 7’s, 356 PSA 8’s, and 13 PSA 9’s. None of the cards have qualifiers!

For those of you who don’t know me, I starting building this set in the summer of ’04. My intention was to build a PSA 7 set for me to keep. As I started collecting the set, I got picky and started to buy mostly PSA 8’s – also the availability of PSA 8’s is greater. The vast majority of the 7’s in my set are high-end – the reason for this is twofold, first I bought 7’s which were well-centered, and secondly, it’s difficult for dealers to make money on 7’s so they try to send away cards that are NM-MT or better. To prove this, when I got my free submissions, I cracked a nice PSA 7 from my set (Roger Maris), and it came back an 8.

The set was built around my pickiness since the intent was for me to keep it. About 100 cards have been upgraded – cards that I bought, but later decided they were not up to my standard. Therefore, I feel the overall set is quite high-end as I strove to buy the card and not the holder.

I’m selling it for a multitude of reasons. The biggest reason is that upgrading the set has taken too big of a toll on my wallet. I’m about a month away from finishing grad school and entering the real world, and I’d rather use the money to payoff loans – this however, was not an easy decision.

I would prefer to sell the set whole. It took a lot of time and energy to build the set, and it seems counter-productive to break it up. I am asking for roughly what I have invested in this set, which is very close to SMR (SMR is $15,055). Recently, a comparable set (1968 Topps) had an SMR of just over $14,000 and it sold for $13,800 with BP from Memory Lane. Although if I could sell the set through this site, I would discount it as I wouldn’t have to pay commissions, fees, etc.

Anyways, the set is located here: Link – all the cards have been scanned front and back (I cropped out the holders in the scans since I didn't want anyone to steal the scans). Also scans of selected high dollar cards (HOFers as well as a few MINT 9's) are below.

Team cards were my favorites from this set. All the team cards are 8 or better with exception of the Red's Team, which is a high-end 7.

Thank you for looking, and I can be reached via PM's or by email: gtg342i@mail.gatech.edu

Brian

edit: I took the pics down so this thread will be easier to view - they're in my ebay auction.

Comments

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Great looking set Brian !

Winpitcher & I were also working on the 65's at the same time as Brian......I decided to drop it in favor of my other sets but I communicated quite a bit with Brian & know the quality of this set is very high for the grade.

Good luck on the sale.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    You know, I've never paid much attention to the mid to late 60s set aside from the '67 set. But, this set is actually quite nice....those colors look nice and crisp on those. Good luck with the sale!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    The 65 set is the best of the 60s INHO............I probably am prejudiced cause it was the first set I recall having as a child..............I own no 65s cards today.....one day i might put the set together.

Good luck on your selling..............and thanks for offering to fellow set collectors here first.

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck Brian!

When did you get the Mick?

Steve

edited to add: i did a completed thingy and saw. Wolfy's, I was watching that but after it hit a 10000 I left. Great pickup!

Good for you.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Brian, you have been the one I think of whenever the 65 set comes to mind. I think you and I competed for a short time but I never got serious about this set and instead concentrated on my other two. I do have good memories of this set and wish you all the success in selling it. By the way, the Rose looks familiar. Did you buy that from me last summer?
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the kind words.

Buccaneer, I bought the Rose near the beginning of my quest, which was June/July '04. I do not remember who I bought it from.

In July '04, a 1965 Topps set (then ranked #4) with a GPA of 8.05 and SMR around $20,000-$21,000 sold via this forum. I believe the asking price was $25,000.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful set Brian. I am sure it must pain you to part with it. I wish you great luck with the sale.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    1965 and 1967 sets are gorgeous sets, IMHO.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    I have gotten a couple inquiries about what I am asking for the set.

I am asking $14,200, which is $855 under SMR. My opening bid on ebay would be slightly higher than this price since I'd factor in commissions, which is why I listed here first so both parties could save. I'm not interested in trading unless you happen to have a brand new Toyota Tundra image

Also here is my ebay profile link I've sold about $25,000 worth of cards on ebay the past few years - all happy customers.

Brian
  • Options
    bump image

I'll list it on ebay by June 10 if no interest here.

Brian
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>bump image

I'll list it on ebay by June 10 if no interest here.

Brian >>

Frankly, I think you're crazy not to first do that anyway. Why possibly leave money on the table for such a beautiful set? I wish I could afford it - I'd buy it in a second at that price. Good luck with the sale!

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Frankly, I think you're crazy not to first do that anyway. Why possibly leave money on the table for such a beautiful set? I wish I could afford it - I'd buy it in a second at that price. Good luck with the sale! >>

Thanks for the kind words Steve. Hopefully it will find a good home.
  • Options
    Brian - if the cards go ebay, please post a reminder here with the ebay links. Thanks!

Steve
  • Options
    Sure thing Steve!

Here is the link to my auction 1965 topps set!

I did not do a BIN because, as you suggested, I may be leaving money on the table at $14,000.

Brian
  • Options
    Brian

did you at least take advantage of the 20 cent listing day?

Also IMO 14k start will limit bidding? I would have maybe started lower and had a BIN 0f 15k or whatever?

In any event you can always try again if this way does not work.

best of luck to you.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Brian

did you at least take advantage of the 20 cent listing day?

Also IMO 14k start will limit bidding? I would have maybe started lower and had a BIN 0f 15k or whatever?

In any event you can always try again if this way does not work.

best of luck to you.

Steve >>

Nope... I've been really busy so I listed it Tuesday and "scheduled" it to start tonight. The next day, ebay announces $0.20 listing day - that's the story of my life... Although in the scope of a 14 thousand dollar set, an extra $4.60 ($4.80 vs. $0.20) is insignificant. I'm frustrated not because of $4 but because ebay is inundated with stuff because of that listing day!

Thanks for the encouragement Steve.

In addition, if anyone needs to reach me, I will be out-of-town parts of next week as outlined in the auction.

Brian
  • Options
    VintageJeffVintageJeff Posts: 1,282
    IMO you left a ton of money on the table by starting bidding at 14k. You basically made it so the bidding can't heat up and eliminated the chance that a bidding war would develop.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options

<< <i>IMO you left a ton of money on the table by starting bidding at 14k. You basically made it so the bidding can't heat up and eliminated the chance that a bidding war would develop. >>

No offense but it's easy to say that when you don't already have $14,000 sitting on the table of your hard-earned money. I'm not going to potentially lose thousands due to servers going down (failed snipes have happened before).
  • Options
    yeah that is what I meant. Jeff has a point. maybe a low starting bid and a known reserve? I dunno. tuff thing to sell at that price, not that it is not worth it but many people prefer to build a set.

What is good about this is if it does not sell you still have a strong item and can try a different way.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>yeah that is what I meant. Jeff has a point. maybe a low starting bid and a known reserve? I dunno. tuff thing to sell at that price, not that it is not worth it but many people prefer to build a set.

What is good about this is if it does not sell you still have a strong item and can try a different way.

Steve >>

I think we see differently on this Steve.

I originally planned to spend 10k on a PSA 7 set so that's why I had no interest on MikeVT's 25k set, which was sold when I started.

While I have made a lot of friends along the way, spending hours tracking, bidding, and signing for packages loses it's "fun-factor" quickly. I have no regrets about collecting it the way I did, but if a set was available I would have bought it whole - probably for a small premium.
  • Options

<< <i> maybe a low starting bid and a known reserve? >>

Reserves are expensive (you may recall MikeVT pulled his set since he didn't set a reserve).

I don't mind "showing my hand" with the high starting price.
  • Options
    Brian you had 15k all at once to put into a set ? I'm not saying no one would buy a set like that, however you have to agree more people build them brick by brick? and that is all I meant. However all you need is 2 people to want it at the level you set. Just trying to hash it out with ya as I have basically the same set as you with just about the same amount of money in it too. Im in for 18k for a 791. I have 75 9's though. 791 and 8.00 is 40 8's away from being an 8 set i think too.

At least you have shown the pics. That set that sold top drs back 2 years ago was a straight 8 (lacking the smith like you mentioned) That set did not have the pics if you remm. MT did say he would send a scan etc, Im thinking he got real lucky in that drs was looking for a full set.

Like I said though good luck

Steve

edited to fix a number.

Good for you.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Listing with a high opening bid is the way to avoid the risk of a big loss. I assume you can live with a "no-sale" result, but I don't blame you for starting high. To succeed in the Ebay format you'd need two buyers to both be willing to drop $14K this week on the set. In my opinion that is a far less likely result than finding one person willing to pay the $14K.

• Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Good luck with your sale, I'd love to take it off your hands, but I'm tied up in too much other crap.
  • Options
    I think Brian is doing everything right here. If he doesn't get the minimum bid he can keep relisting it if he wants, or break it up if he wants. Frankly, I think if someone had the time and inclination as well as the money, the breakup value might be higher.

June isn't necessarily a bad time to sell, but I also think that if someone bought the set with the idea of profit, and could sit on it until early December for holiday shoppers, it could bring more than the asking price, especially if broken up. Yes, $14K may seem like a lot to us, but to some other collectors, especially to lawyer collectors, $14K is a pittance.

But in any event, good luck with the sale. Dam that really is a nice set!

Steve
  • Options
    I agree with SteveK

also, over 500 people have looked at it. I would be inclined to think that if it does sell it will sell with 2 minutes to go or something like that.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Yeah I agree - when I bid on something, I usually do so at last second so I think it'll be the case here too. There are also 30 people watching it.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah I agree - when I bid on something, I usually do so at last second so I think it'll be the case here too. There are also 30 people watching it. >>

If I could afford this set, I'd set my snipe higher than usual to make sure I got it. You're just not in my opinion going to find a nicer 1965 set like this anytime soon.
  • Options
    Don't worry Brian. The set is going to sell. It is too nice not to.
    Then you can pay student loans and start all over again!!

Good luck!
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    Over 800 hits so far.
  • Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    The 800 hits is a good sign in my mind.

Chances are that if ebay by chance does not work out for you,
    someone will contact you that saw the set on the bay and try to work
    a straight sale with you.

At least that is usually the senerio that takes place on nice sets like yours.

I hope it works out well for you Brian.
    Good Luck!!

• Options
    Thanks guys for the support.

It ends tomorrow night - so far about 1100 hits, and it is on 56 people's watch lists so I anticipate many snipes.

• Options

<< <i>Thanks guys for the support.

It ends tomorrow night - so far about 1100 hits, and it is on 56 people's watch lists so I anticipate many snipes. >>

I personally hope so but it doesn't mean that it will happen. I had a nice Mantle card that had over 30 watchers and several hundred hits. No snipes ever came in. I think that many were wanting to track this and see where it will end for various reasons, which I do quite a bit myself.
  • Options
    the number of snipers and number of watchers may be completely unrelated. A sniper doesn't need to put it on his watch list, because he can always use his snipe service's site to check on the auction if it is sniped there. That's what I do...I don't watch auctions that I have a snipe set for.

I don't mean to say this to deflate your excitment though. Good luck! Whether it sells or not, I'd imagine you'd get somewhere close to that price sooner or later.
  • Options

<< <i>the number of snipers and number of watchers may be completely unrelated. >>

You're correct. I meant to imply I expect many "manual" snipes, but there's really no way to tell if people are sniping it through a service.

I have had a few offers to sell it off ebay. I won't end the auction early, but regardless of what happens tomorrow, I doubt the set will get relisted because as a few of you guys mentioned, I've gotten enough publicity from this to establish contacts.
  • Options
    I think you've done an amazing job marketing this set. The ebay auction is clear, a ton of great pics, and shows the 7s are quality 7s as well. And all the scans in your registry set definitely help too. Heck, I'm interested in this set now too :-)
  • Options
    Brian - an after auction offers, just wondering.
  • Options
    Close to 1500 hits - well, you can't say you didn't get any exposure. I hope get a nice after auction offer.
  • Options
    Brian - an after auction offers, just wondering.

I mean - anY after auction offers?
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Just a bit of constructive criticism. I would change your eBay name if you plan to sell high $$$ items. Some people might think twice before sending $14k to a seller with the name Cornholio.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    This is a very nice set, I almost put in a bid as I am thinking of starting the 1965 set and this would be a nice way to do so.

I suppose the main reasons I didn't bid are:

1. With all due repect to Cornelio, I'm sure he is a fine person, but I don't know him;
    2. I would be more comfortable laying out that much coin through a major auction house rather than on ebay.

Not sure these comments help, but I hope they do.
    Capecards
  • Options
    Bxb

Many of us here know Brian well.

John, not sure I understand what the name 'cornholio' has to do with anything.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Cornholio emerges whenever Beavis consumes large quantities of sugar or caffeine or other stimulants and enters a hyperactive phase, with symptoms including convulsing, nonsensical jabbering and gazing cross-eyed at his fist. The final transformation is usually triggered by mention of vaguely Hispanic-sounding words: he pulls his shirt over his head (covering his hair) and begins marching around randomly, his hands either side of his face with palms forward, making loud proclamations in a quasi-Spanish accent.

Cornholio apparently hails from Latin America, claiming his home to be both Nicaragua and Lake Titicaca (the latter word already providing amusement to Beavis). He states his mission in life is to find "TP" (toilet paper) for his "bunghole" (anus), as his "people" are "without bungholes". This apparent contradiction is typical of the nonsense he frequently spouts: at other times he claims he himself is a bunghole, he has no bunghole, he is a gringo, or calls upon "the Almighty Bunghole" (either himself or his god). He has also expressed an interest in oleo, presumably because it rhymes with his name; he combines it with "bunghole" to create his most famous cry, "bungholeo-o-o-o-o!".

Cornholio is a very different personality to Beavis in one particular aspect: while Beavis is somewhat shy and prone to mumble, Cornholio is extremely forceful and loud. If anyone challenges him he demands to know "are you threatening me?", and on many occasions he has warned "unbelievers" of the "wrath" of his bunghole. Although generally he means no harm, he respects no boundaries or property rights and roams wherever he wishes on his quest, frequently screaming at those he meets and terrifying them into submission. He is one of the few characters that actually sings (apart from the teacher Mr. Van Driessen), but his singing is off-key, and he sings only about what he talks about: his bunghole.

Beavis seems to retain no memories of events after he returns to "normal", on one occasion seemingly apologising to Principal McVicker for having caused a problem. This indicates that Beavis suffers from multiple personality disorder, and hence fans regard him as genuinely insane, in contrast to Butt-head, who is merely "stupid". However, while in Cornholio mode Beavis can often be heard muttering in his normal voice, indicating the original personality is showing through. Also, he can often be seen randomly shouting "Bunghole!" while in his normal personality.

The name "Cornholio" is a reference to the anus, which is sometimes called the "cornhole"; the traditional meaning of "bunghole" is a hole in a liquor barrel or keg.

(taken from Wikipedia)

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I forgot how funny "Cornholio" was. image

• Options
    The set is sold.

Basically, I got 5 offers from ebayers: 2 got thrown out, 1 wanted to purchase just the “money” cards – the offer was fair, but I wanted to sell the set whole. The other 2 were offering roughly the same amount of money for the set - I went with the first offer and also that guy had great feedback.

I am happy that the set sold, but I was disappointed by the lack of bidding. I understand people watch auctions with no intentions of bidding, but for all 62 of 62 people to have those motives is a bit discouraging. Moreover, I didn’t get the “curiosity factor” as there were likely two outcomes: it sells for 14k or close; or it doesn’t sell (I could understand more “watchers” if I listed it at no reserve because no one would have an idea what it’d end up selling for).

John, I never thought about my ebay name steering away superficial ebayers. Changing your ebay ID can also look shady, but I get your point. Nonetheless, no one has ever complained when I am on the buying end!

bxb, I understand where you are coming from. Selling it myself rather than consigning it will lower the price; however, my research showed that both parties pay dearly in terms of fees for use of a big auction house. This was my attempt to cut-out the middleman, and it worked as I’ve paid about $30 in fees as opposed to thousands of dollars of the buyer’s premium. I estimate my set would have sold for more through a big house, but I'd have gotten less.

Brian

• Options
    Brian, I don't know how much bidder you would expect when the minimum price is already at 93% of SMR. I think eBay has claimed that you get much more action if one starts lower because there are many bidders that just likes to bid and see their names in lights. I had a Mantle card recently that tried two ways: one with a reserve and one without. I got 3x more bids with the latter.

But in the end, congrats on selling the set. I hope you came somewhat close to breaking even.
  • Options
    Brian

Congrats on the sale.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Brian, Congratulations.......best of luck in your new endeavors.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Brian--Congrats on selling the set !

John--ROFL--The write-up of B/B brightened my day! THANKS!
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    Brian,

Have you seen this:
    444 65 Topps PSA cards

You could get started again.