Home Sports Talk
Options

I owe Winpitcher an apology....

<< <i>Skip

You fail to mention what happened all the other times jeter batted.

I assume the numbers you tout are real (last week with McCovey) you sported some numbers and when called out on them ( I believe by Aro) you back stepped. claiming you were estimating or something like that. So i am assuming that these are correct and not like McCoveys.

My question is simply, If Jeter overall has basically the same average in the post season as he does lifetime (307 to 315) being a leadoff/ number 2 hitter is it really fair to put so much emphasis on what he did with RISP? I mean can he also be clutch if he starts a rally? Or if he hits a homer say in November with no one on? And wins the game? or if he simply moves a guy from 1st to 3rd with 2 outs and the next guy then wins the game? Putting so much emphasis on one aspect and claiming it as the final word IMO does not clearly explain (to me at least) that he is clutch or not. So many other examples can be cited and you have left them all out.

Steve

edited to add: In re reading your post i see that you indeed used what he did with 'someone on base' however even with the 2 examples I can find many other possible scenarios that you have failed to mention. and this is only on offense not defense.

also no disrespect intended in the beginning of my post I just wanted to make sure that the numbers you used are real.

Thanks >>

Steve, this post is what sent me to speak harshly towards you. I understand where you are coming from(I never saw the edited to add at the bottom). In the McCOvey post I did use some estimations, and I stated it there. I could understand you asking me if these were estimations. I should have responded simply that they are not. I responded harshaly to the post because of the back tracking comment(cause I didn't back track on that topic). So I have to honestly apologize for getting harsh after this comment. The rest of the threads may have remained civil had I done that.

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Skip

apology accepted.

I apologise too.

I do honestly believe that everytime I have ever questioned any analysis that you brought forward i always tried to maintain that things were not so black and white. That things can be interpreted many ways.

example: jeter goes 1 for 15 before he hits that homerun at midnite november 1st. IMO that was clutch. Does he have to bat 316 to be clutch in the P.O's? does a 314 average make him not clutch?

The degree of "clutch was never an issue for me. IMO, and that is all it is,(my opinion) it is my opinion a guy can go 2 for 15 and be clutch. is that wrong? not to me it isn't. to you perhaps and that is fine as long as it is your opininion.

Hope you have an enjoyable time on the trail. Hiking is great!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve,

I am for putting the tit for tat behind.

And it should mutual respect first and foremost.

I do understand your opinion on what constitutes clutch, and that it will vary greatly with many. That is why it is such a hard thing to define.

The funny thing about figuring out if a guy is clutch, is that indeed a player who is 1 for 15 in clutch situations may actually be more clutch than a guy who was 6 for 15 in those same situations. That is why I maintained that it really doesn't make sense to say a guy is clutch because he had some good post season games.

I actually enjoy hiking by the way.

P.S. Again, not to be almighty or anything, but I do recommend to buy THE BOOK that I started a thread about. It is going to be an easy read on baseball strategy and thinking. It is stat based, but not boring as one would expect being that it is stat based.