Home Sports Talk
Options

Verlander for ROY?

BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
Seven wins already and an ERA of 2.55. I know it's early, but who else out there is in contention for this award in the AL?

Comments

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Papelbon, maybe? Though I agree, Verlander is quite the phenom.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    He's been awesome, but I'll say that his arm isn't yet ready for the rigors of a full MLB season. I like Papelbon to win it, though I'm hoping Ian Kinsler goes crazy from here on out and wins it. Got him for a couple bucks in an auction-style fantasy keeper league.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Papelbon, maybe? Though I agree, Verlander is quite the phenom. >>

That's right-- Papelbon. I knew I was forgetting someone.

At this point it looks like a two horse race, although it will be interesting to see if any rookie's bats come alive now that the weather is warming up.
  • Options
    If Verlander can get 20+ wins, as he is on pace to do, he should be the ROY, without any regard as to what a RP does. Papelbon is doing a good job, but Verlander is doing great too, and doing more to help his team win. Whether the Tigers keep the pace up, or totally fall in a bucket, Verlander is in part, a key to their winning. We shall see how his arm does hold up, perhaps he has a horrible second half as Bonderman did last year, but if he stays on his current pace, hands down, Verlander is your ROY, unless voters again, go the ways of bias!!!!!
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>If Verlander can get 20+ wins, as he is on pace to do, he should be the ROY, without any regard as to what a RP does. Papelbon is doing a good job, but Verlander is doing great too, and doing more to help his team win. Whether the Tigers keep the pace up, or totally fall in a bucket, Verlander is in part, a key to their winning. We shall see how his arm does hold up, perhaps he has a horrible second half as Bonderman did last year, but if he stays on his current pace, hands down, Verlander is your ROY, unless voters again, go the ways of bias!!!!! >>

Which bias is that ?

If you mean east coast bias, then you must be speaking of the same bias that gave Ichiro the ROY, but decided to change the standards with Hideki Matsui a couple of years later.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    but if he stays on his current pace, hands down, Verlander is your ROY, unless voters again, go the ways of bias!!!!!

Bias? Can you expand on that please?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>but if he stays on his current pace, hands down, Verlander is your ROY, unless voters again, go the ways of bias!!!!!

Bias? Can you expand on that please?

Steve >>

No. Hardcorehockeyfan may be totally out in left fied with this ridiculous 'bias' talk, but that doesn't mean every thread needs to get hijacked. If you guys want to argue about media biases I will politely ask you to do it elsewhere. Thank you.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    If Detroit wins the division and Verlander continues his pace, he gets it as long as Papelbon saves less than 40 and the Sox miss the Playoff's otherwise, Papelbon gets it. Regardless, I hope they both do well; I've got both of them on my fantasy team.
  • Options
    I will expand on this, and it is this simple. Let's say for instance, Verlander wins 20 games, and Papelbon saves 40-50 games. The effect on the team is much greater for the 20 game winner, the closer usually comes in when there is already a lead for his team. A starting pitcher who wins 20 games, had the lead and held his team in the game. Bias goes like this, ROY voters will look at see, "oh, no way can Verlander win the ROY, because he pitches in Detroit." I have seen on two occasions in the last 20 years, where a Detroit baseball player should have been the MVP, and they were not, Trammell in '87 should have won it definitely, the only argument perhaps, would be Ripken winning it over Fielder in '91. This is no Yankee or Red Sox bashing, so before you say it is, it is not, it is a simple factual statement. Hell, Verlander can probably win every start up until the All-Star Game, and he probably will not even be on that team! Bonderman should have been on the team last year, but was not, sure his 2nd half was not too grand, but he pitched well enough to make the team, and should have. If Verlander keeps it up, and he does hit 20 or more wins, he should be your ROY!
  • Options
    No. Hardcorehockeyfan may be totally out in left fied with this ridiculous 'bias' talk, but that doesn't mean every thread needs to get hijacked. If you guys want to argue about media biases I will politely ask you to do it elsewhere. Thank you.

Boo

How was that hijacked? it was in reference to Verlander. It has to do with him and the rookie of the year. as you know almost all topics twist and turn. Or do you want all yes , no or not sure answers here?

In my attempt to stay on topic my answer to the question,

Verlander for ROY is .......Not sure

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Verlander wins 20 games, and Papelbon saves 40-50 games.

Hopefully I am on topic here. But if that happens co ROY is possible. It happened in 76 in the NL.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I agree that it is a two-horse race (Verlander and Papelbon). Just to throw a darkhorse name out there, how about Casey Janssen with the Blue Jays (3-3, 3.25 ERA in 7 starts).
  • Options
    If both Verlander and Papelbon keep up with their pace, then perhaps both should be co-ROYs, I would not be against that. I only think that a starting pitcher has more influence on a game than a relief pitcher does, and that is in no way a jab at what Papelbon has done thus far. Verlander pitches 5-8 innings a game, Papelbon comes on to save a game and pitches one inning. Both have done their jobs well so far, we shall wait and see how their seasons pan out!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I will expand on this, and it is this simple. Let's say for instance, Verlander wins 20 games, and Papelbon saves 40-50 games. The effect on the team is much greater for the 20 game winner, the closer usually comes in when there is already a lead for his team. A starting pitcher who wins 20 games, had the lead and held his team in the game. Bias goes like this, ROY voters will look at see, "oh, no way can Verlander win the ROY, because he pitches in Detroit." I have seen on two occasions in the last 20 years, where a Detroit baseball player should have been the MVP, and they were not, Trammell in '87 should have won it definitely, the only argument perhaps, would be Ripken winning it over Fielder in '91. This is no Yankee or Red Sox bashing, so before you say it is, it is not, it is a simple factual statement. Hell, Verlander can probably win every start up until the All-Star Game, and he probably will not even be on that team! Bonderman should have been on the team last year, but was not, sure his 2nd half was not too grand, but he pitched well enough to make the team, and should have. If Verlander keeps it up, and he does hit 20 or more wins, he should be your ROY! >>

Stop with the nonsense. If there was an 'bias' in ROY voting then Cano would have beaten out Street in the AL. Also, in 1987 George Bell hit 47 HR's and had a BA of .308. Considering Trammell hit .343 with 21 HR"s you can't say that the award was stolen from Trammell.

Edit to add: Thank you, Steve, for showing admirable restraint in not pursuing this silly 'bias' angle any further.
  • Options
    Yeah, we shall see at the end of the season, shall we. There is no way that a relief pitcher with 40 saves, can have more clout than a starting pitcher with 20 wins. I am not saying either will finish that way, and I am not saying neither will, or one or the other. And George Bell and his 47 home runs, he was NOT on the winning team, but oh well, you people seem to think there is not any bias whatsoever in sports. We shall also see how the All-Star selections go, I do not care if Verlander is a rookie or not, if he keeps up with his pace he has now, and he is not on the team, just goes to show that it also has bias in their selections. The All-Star game was in Detroit last year, I-Rod was the only Tiger representing, yet, Bonderman had good enough numbers to make the team, and should have, but did not! IF, and you do notice the word there, IF Verlander does win 20 games, or even 18-19, then he should be the ROY, before any relief pitcher should be. Keep in mind, the Tigers were supposed to finish dead last again, and Boston was a preseason playoff team, Verlander has a ton to do with the winning!!!!!!!

Also Edited: In case you do not comprehend, not every pitcher can be a starter, and most any pitcher can be a closer if needed. Verlander adds more to a win than say, Todd Jones, who is a closer!!!!
  • Options
    Boo

with all due respect, and in my opinion, I did, and do not feel it was/is as silly as you claim it to be. that is why I asked him to expand on it. Was he talking about the bias that could be shown against a starter vs a reliever? Or was it possibly like bri said and an east coast thing. I also thought since the person that you feel is the most reasonable poster here on the board asked first I could ask as well. i did not knowwhat hardcore meant and that is why I asked.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread with this explanation.

Steve
    Good for you.