Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

2006 Satin Finish coins

After the 05 debacle I have found numerous 2006 "Satin Finish" coins. After searching 25k+ Lincolns, Jeffs, Roosies, State 25's, and Kennedy halves I have found numerous 06 "Satin Finish" coins in Mint bags and OBW rolls. I have observed numerous coins that will grade 2005 "SF" if submitted. This only adds to the 2006 confusion in my opinion. The 06's are often frosty to prooflike depending on the die state. Just my observation. Chris

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember seeing in that "Quarter" thread a frosty quarter that looked cameo in appearance.

Do you think that PCGS will ever grade some of these coins in the future as "Cameo" or "D.C.?"

Very interesting to say the least.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Doesn't surprise me one bit. I was waiting to see if this was going to happen AGAIN with the 2006 coins. I used to be a fan of keeping SF coins separate from BS coins in the registry, BUT IF THE MINT IS GOING TO CONTINUE TO RELEASE SF COINS IN ROLLS AND BAGS AND JUST SF COINS IN MINT SETS then I don't see a reason to add both as a requirement to registry sets. I know this has been said a thousand times already but I'm going to say it again. There is going to be too much debate between whether a coin is SF or BS. For instance, what if I pull a BS coin out of a roll and PCGS grades it as a SF??? I have no "proof" that I physically pulled it out of a bank roll. Or, what if I find a gorgeous SF cent in a mint set and PCGS thinks it is a true business strike and grades it as such???? Or, what if a coin exhibits SF like surfaces on the obverse and BS finish on the reverse? Then what do they grade it?????

Too much bullsh*t going on now. I say leave the registry the way it is and allow someone to plug in whatever the hell coin they want...SF or BS. It's true that BS coins are harder to find in the higher grade and that they should deserve a higher weight...but there is no way to keep this thing fair. People are going to get shafted left and right on their coin not grading BS or SF. It's a real shame that the mint did this but I don't see them changing because of "registry mania" that is going on in the coin collecting world. JMHO.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember seeing in that "Quarter" thread a frosty quarter that looked cameo in appearance.

Do you think that PCGS will ever grade some of these coins in the future as "Cameo" or "D.C.?"

Very interesting to say the least.

Later, Paul. >>

PCGS will probably never call a MS coin PL or DCAM. But I believe they should as I have Jeff's and Lincoln's with mirrors 3 inches plus. I own several ANACS PL Lincolns from the 90's that are definite Prooflike coins. I guess asking the "Giant" of TPG to recognize something new is like asking the Pope for new chapters in the Bible. It seems that way anyway!
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    I still have not seen one satin finish coin in any of the business strike rolls or bags from 2005 and 2006. There are some that have a satiny appearance but like in all the other years this has happened too. I still want one person to show me a coin on a par from a satin finish set from a group of rolls. I predict it doe not happen. Seth of coinfame fame, sent around a so called satin finish oregon P & D from a group that pcgs was calling satin finish but it was not even close according to all that had seen it. It is easy to go to pre 2005 coins and find satiny coins but they are not on par with any from the 2005 sets and likely 2006 sets. PCGS only calls some because they error on the conservative and just plain do not have the expertise on the subject.
  • Options
    CoinFameCoinFame Posts: 647
    I agree 100% with Datentype. I too have done some considerable searching and while there are a few frosty coins here or there, they aren't the Satin Finish Mint Set coins.

<< <i>Seth of coinfame fame, sent around a so called satin finish oregon P & D from a group that pcgs was calling satin finish but it was not even close according to all that had seen it. It is easy to go to pre 2005 coins and find satiny coins but they are not on par with any from the 2005 sets and likely 2006 sets. PCGS only calls some because they error on the conservative and just plain do not have the expertise on the subject. >>

Datentype: In my own defense, the coins I sent you were examples of a mistake that PCGS made in grading my coins. I remember that we agreed on the subject. image
    Seth
  • Options
    I have not seen any satin finish dimes from any of the rolls I have looked at either
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have not seen any satin finish dimes from any of the rolls I have looked at either >>

Same here. I admit to some having a satin look to them. But in hand you can tell that they are not satin finish. It may take more than a four/ten second glance that some have said the graders use.
    Dan
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have not seen any satin finish dimes from any of the rolls I have looked at either >>

Same here. I admit to some having a satin look to them. But in hand you can tell that they are not satin finish. It may take more than a four/ten second glance that some have said the graders use. >>

I admit the satin look may not look like the 1st strike Satin finish coins. But the satin finish is still somewhat common be it obvious or not. I guess everyone has their opinion. Just expressed mine. That's all. I'm saving some GEM coins for submissions after the 06 Mint Sets come out to test PCGS's ability to detect true SF coins. My post was not intended to prove anything but that there are variations out there. Party on Modern people!! In 100 years only will your/our efforts be truly recognized as 99.98% of modern coins will have entered circulation and/or have been melted for zinc/copper value. Thanks, Chris
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Manorcourtman my reply was not to imply that the mint is NOT putting out SF coins, just that the ones I have seen that come close, can be judged as/or.
    Dan
  • Options
    In 2006 I have searched thru $10k of state quarters 40,000 coins and have not seen anything even close to a satin finish coin. dr
  • Options
    golddustingolddustin Posts: 838 ✭✭
    Doug - I can't approach the quantity of coins you've looked through, but I have also looked through plenty of SHQs, and none have been remotely close to those found with the satin finish in the mint sets .
    Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!