Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 CITGO coin question

JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi everyone,

Do these appear in any of your master sets?

It doesn't seem to be in the Killebrew set.

Shouldn't this be an all or nothing issue?

I am curious to see what you all think.

JoeBanzai
2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Comments

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    The coins are in the Rose, Aaron, McCovey, and Torre master sets but not in the Richie Allen, Ron Santo, or Killebrew sets. I agree with you that if they're in one then they should be in all of the master sets.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.

It's surprising to me that there isn't a guideline in matters like this.

If these sets are to be viewed as a database for accurate information, once a new item is added all of the players in the set should be automatically be added to their respective sets.

In this case, the Citgo coin does not appear in the Killebrew set, but the Globe Import miniature card is in. I don't have an argument against the Globe, but as both of these items were issued during Killebrew's career, and both are being graded by PSA, they both should be in.

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Joe

I thought for an issue to be included in a player set it had to be requested.

perhaps that is the reason?

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Hi Steve,

I am not sure how this works, and I will be requesting that it is added. I just picked up a PSA 8.

If I need to request to have each of my oddball items be added individually, so be it.

My thoughts are, that to be consistent and accurate, once a particular item is added to a master set, why wouldn't it automatically happen to all of the players affected?

Yes I am a compulsive obsessive. I have been focusing on many of the unusual items and think it would save a lot of time to just do it my way. HA ha.

I realize that for some collectors would drop in their completion percentage if this policy was instituted, but if it's not REALLY a complete collection, why wouldn't a collector want it fixed?

Am I missing something?

JB
  • Options
    I hear you JB. As in the Rose master set, why isn't the 73 Topps Candy Lids included? PSA grades them, so it seems like they should be listed in the set.

At least the master set is a pretty comprehensive list for a player collector. It's a shame they don't grade some of the real tough Topps issues. I would be there's some player collectors out there that have the impossible cards, like 67StandUp. I would bet his Yaz collection would have to be described essentially as the Yaz legendary set, including cards such as the 68 Topps Disc and 67 Topps Stand Up. Now there's some cards that I'd love to see the "weight" for!

That's what would cool to see, a "legendary set" for player collectors. But since it would include cards that PSA won't grade, it won't happen.
    kev

keeping my ears open for oddball cards of Rose from the 60's and 70's.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Joe

That is the reason. To have any card included it must be requested. And yes some guys get annoyed when oddball things are added. In the Mantle set the yankee team cards have recently been added and from what I have heard not many are happy about it. What it does is it makes everyone else have to get the oddball item now. To be honest I would draw the line on team cards but do not see a problem with you requesting this item for a master set.

PSA has a form I believe for these matters.

Syeve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Thanks for the well thought out responses guys!

I would agree that test issues should be included (automatically), after all these are MASTER sets. I would think the master set would include all of the items issued for a particular player.

I am not sure about the team cards, I collect them but they seem to be just that, a team, not an individual issue. I am also a little unsure how to consider items that may have never been issued, but leaked out. I don't think the 1968 disks were ever available to the public, were they?

Are the Home Run Derby cards in any of the sets?

I kind of like the idea of a third category that would include everything, even the new stuff. I cannot afford, nor do I desire, one of every card that is coming out with Killebrew on it, but these commemorative cards are popular and they are not going away.

I understand the policy regarding requesting additions, I just disagree with it's inconsistency. I will just have to request the items be added as I get them graded.

JB
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    JB:

Some of the player sets that have been around since the beginning represent very close to a full Master set. Mike Schmidt for instance. The few things not included currently in the Schmidt Master Set are a) things PSA does not grade and b) things PSA has not graded yet. There are also some other possibilities of unique-type cards that may never be included [like a 1980 Pepsi card, for example].

The player sets are for the collectors - it is very easy to request additions, although pretty time consuming for them to actually get included. But just fill out a request. Often times, some oddballs may not be included in the Master Set because PSA has not graded that specific card yet. I would say that of all the items in the Schmidt Master set, probably 30-40% of them were first graded by PSA in my submissions....

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.