Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

question for canadian coin collectors.........

I just found a skippy jar of coins in the ground where a trailer had been.The coins look fairly clean as no dirt got in the jar,I pulled out a handful to check them out,some go back to the 1920's my question.........is there a good book on these and are there any dates that may be better dates, the jar is about 10lbs. thanks for any help ......P.S. I collect U.S. coins so I should be able to grade these somewhat.

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Where are the coins from?

Regardless, the Standard Catalog of World Coins 1900-Present (aka Krause, there are volumes for each century to 1500) will not only tell you what they are but will also give you an idea of what they're worth. Almost all circulating coins ever made are listed in that book. It's a bit pricey (but worth buying if you plan to get into world coins more heavily), so check your local bookstores or libraries for a copy to browse.

Have fun! and welcome to this side of collecting! (the Darkside!) image
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    The primary reference is "The Charlton Standard Catalog of Canadian Coins". Try here.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Didn't read the headline image

Krause is a good book to have anyway image
  • Options

<< <i>The primary reference is "The Charlton Standard Catalog of Canadian Coins". Try here. >>

I agree, Charlton is the best book for Canadian coins.
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    Thanks I will get the charlton.I grew up in a mostly Canadian town(Suncook N.H.) All my relatives spoke French and most worked in the textile mills along the river,so Canadian coins would be a logical choice for me.When I get most of the coins separated I will post the best that I find(It may take a week)Thanks for the help all you darkside folks!image