Home Metal Detecting
Options

what detector should i buy?

i`ve been wanting to get one, which make and model gives the best performance and features for the money? thanks
my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

Comments

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    The Garrett Ace 250 is frequently being recommended as providing good value for money.

If you do a forum search you'll find plenty of threads lobbying for its merits in more detail image

Good luck!
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666
    thanks, 1 more question on this detector, will it detect all types of coin metals as in gold/silver/copper/nickel? thanks again
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    Yes it will. Other detectors will too.

Different metals give slightly different signals. With practice you'll learn how your detector reacts to different metals.
    It's tricky though, a pulltab can often give a similar signal to a gold ring, for example.

Reading the user manual, followed by lots of practice are keys to success..
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666
    thanks for your help, when i get it my strategy will be dig it all up till i get to know the machine and its signals just so i don`t pass over a keeper. ok, one more newbie question, how deep will these lower end detectors go?
  • Options
    Digging everything is definitely a good strategy to start with.
    Even with more experience, it's a good strategy particularly on sites that could have some older/nice stuff. Even though certain targets usually gives a certain signal, you never know for sure. Sometimes a really great coin can give a really crappy signal..
    For example, here you can read how Phut on this board found a 1799 silver half-real on a really crappy signal that previous detectorists maybe had missed...

Regarding the depth, you'd probably be able to find a 1 cent coin at about 8 inches, larger coins a bit deeper still. Users of the Garrett 250 may chime in with more exact info.
  • Options
    coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭
    What other detector would you recommend. Is there a particular place I should or should not buy a Garrett or any other detector?