Home Metal Detecting

One day you find out you can hunt all of ...

this. Where would you start? image

This is the Delaware county fair ground which is just a short walk out my back door. The picture was taken on Jug Day during the "Little Brown Jug". The LBJ is pretty much the Kentucky Derby of 3 yr old harness racing. As you can see 10's of thousands of people flock here for an entire week.

I hit a large area the other day where the midway is usually set up. ( behind main grandstand on track) I found $1.40 in pennies , along with 40 dimes and 20 nickels. Not one single quarter! Obviously detectorists are comming in after the fair and cherry picking quarters. I love lazy detectorists. Dug 30 or so ring and pulltabs and snatched numerous pieces of trash floating around on the grass.

No silver yet, but with a 50 year history of events like the Jug it is highly possible.

I'll keep ya posted!

HH
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• good luck. find some silver.
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • >>Where would you start? <<

WOW______That is a good question.
    Under grand stands
    Around concession stands
    Any camping area
    All that parking would be a good place.

Lots of work!!!!!!!!

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087

<< <i>Where would you start? >>

At the local library or anywhere that would have pictures from the first few years. Then maybe that old timers coffee shop you mentioned a while ago.
    Those lazy detectorists are only going to be looking around current hot spots.
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where would you start? >>

Agree with the cat about the library!

My first thought, however, would probably be: Any old homesteads in this area? imageimage

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

• << <i>Any camping area >>

There are several on the grounds. One spot in particular is set aside for the Mounted Sherriff Patrol which are on site 24/7. during the Brown Jug.

Yes, lots of work indeed!

<< <i>At the local library or anywhere that would have pictures from the first few years. Then maybe that old timers coffee shop you mentioned a while ago. >>

Yes , and I have found a new source of research material. $10 got me a membership to the local Historical Society, which has an outstanding library for local research!

<< <i>My first thought, however, would probably be: Any old homesteads in this area? >>

I'm workin on it!
    imageimage
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would locate the consession areas and start there. Grassy areas where people eat would be another good spot if you are coming in late. If you are missing the quarters I would guess others are getting to those spots right after the fair people move out. But like you said, "I love lazy detectoris". Amen to that.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pull up the google earth images of the area. Look for walking paths through the tree areas, or tents that may have been set up when the images were taken. The images aren't updated very often (3-5 years old I've found usually), so may give you a different perspective of things.

I would definately look at old postcards or books of the event and find where things were years ago.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Goldrush00013, your 15 minutes north of me. Here's a good websight of early map of county's around us. In it decribes the old settlers, there plots, old roads, even mentions a farmer in mid 1800's finding old indian skeleton approx. 7 ft long( part of the giants of ohio). Endless information.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/delaware/

Good luck

Dan from powell, oh
  • I would find out where the night life is for the modern stuff, research back 49 years to find out where the original fairgrounds was located within the massive compound which exisits today for the silver.

Rick
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!

• << <i>Goldrush00013, your 15 minutes north of me. Here's a good websight of early map of county's around us. In it decribes the old settlers, there plots, old roads, even mentions a farmer in mid 1800's finding old indian skeleton approx. 7 ft long( part of the giants of ohio). Endless information.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/delaware/

Good luck

Dan from powell, oh >>

Great link Dan! Thank you!
    BTW- Welcome aboard!

even mentions a farmer in mid 1800's finding old indian skeleton approx. 7 ft long( part of the giants of ohio)

Yes, those giants were the Adena (500 BC) people. From what can be assertained from the skeletal remains of the Adena, they seem to have had an average height of just over 6 feet.

Thanks to everyone with your ideas. I'm studying when I can and beeping the grounds as often as possible.
    Did find some silver the other day and it was a first for me! Just a war nickel, but I was pretty tickled! Need to get pics and post it soon.
    imageimage