Home Sports Talk

What were the official scorers thinking at Wrigley ?

bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
Did anyone catch the call they made today ? Zambrano had a no no going and in the 7th Jacque Jones completely muffed a fly ball. It was an error if I have ever seen one and the home scorers gave the Braves a hit taking away the no hitter. Completely pitiful call if you ask me.
"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
-- Yogi Berra

Comments

• You know what else is completely pitiful........DA Cubs.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I didn't see that or know that he had a no-no .... but I did watch Dempster pitch the ninth image
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Did anyone catch the call they made today ? Zambrano had a no no going and in the 7th Jacque Jones completely muffed a fly ball. It was an error if I have ever seen one and the home scorers gave the Braves a hit taking away the no hitter. Completely pitiful call if you ask me. >>

I saw it. The basic rule is that you can't call it an error if the fielder can't see the ball. For example, check out some of the 'hits' in the Metrodome where the fielder has lost the ball because of the white ceiling.
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Did anyone catch the call they made today ? Zambrano had a no no going and in the 7th Jacque Jones completely muffed a fly ball. It was an error if I have ever seen one and the home scorers gave the Braves a hit taking away the no hitter. Completely pitiful call if you ask me. >>

I saw it. The basic rule is that you can't call it an error if the fielder can't see the ball. For example, check out some of the 'hits' in the Metrodome where the fielder has lost the ball because of the white ceiling. >>

Boo, I hear what you are saying, but wouldnt you consider the metrodome slightly different than Wrigley on an average day, with not too much sun, etc. ? Honestly, if Jones didnt come close to the ball or touch it I can see that occuring, but he messed up, saw it late, and mishandled it. I am very surprised they called it a hit considering it was at home. He is a major league player who had plenty of time to get a beat on the ball, was there, made contact and booted it.
    -- Yogi Berra

• A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    The general rule of thumb with outfielder errors on fly balls is that unless it hits the glove, it's a base hit. If a guy loses a ball in the sun, even if he finds it but doesn't recover in time to make the play, they'll call that a hit every time. If the outfielder has any sort of bead on the ball, but fails to catch it either due to the ball popping out of the glove, or missing the opening of the glove, but still hitting the glove, that's about the only time they'll call errors on fly balls. If the outfielder has to make a dive or a tough play in general to get a to a ball and doesn't catch it but it hits his glove, those instances will more often than not be ruled hits as well.

The official scorers must be consistent, and for as long as I have been following baseball, their final determinations have been very accurate.

• bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>The general rule of thumb with outfielder errors on fly balls is that unless it hits the glove, it's a base hit. If a guy loses a ball in the sun, even if he finds it but doesn't recover in time to make the play, they'll call that a hit every time. If the outfielder has any sort of bead on the ball, but fails to catch it either due to the ball popping out of the glove, or missing the opening of the glove, but still hitting the glove, that's about the only time they'll call errors on fly balls. If the outfielder has to make a dive or a tough play in general to get a to a ball and doesn't catch it but it hits his glove, those instances will more often than not be ruled hits as well.

The official scorers must be consistent, and for as long as I have been following baseball, their final determinations have been very accurate. >>

except Jones DID touch the ball
    -- Yogi Berra