Home Metal Detecting
Options

Funny story about buried "test penny"

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
Back in 1999, I buried an ordinary 1963-d Lincoln cent out in the woods behind my apartment about 4 inches deep. It was an experiment to see how the signal from my White's Spectrum XLT would change over time as the penny aged in the ground. In spring of 2000, I went back to dig it up for kicks. I couldn't locate it at first, and when I did, I got a very strange, rusty sounding signal that was quite high on the VDI scale, very much like what one would expect from a rusty old large cent. When I dug up the "penny," much to my surprise, I found three coins in the hole: two 1893 barber dimes in beautiful AU condition, and a severely corroded 187* indian cent that was causing the rusty signal! I must have been over this spot 10 times with the detector, and I missed it because of the rusty penny. (For those of you who use the XLT, turning off the "bottlecap reject" feature is a great idea because it occasionally filters out corroded coins, including large cents, indians, and colonials.) My precious 1963-d Lincoln was 3 feet away, and I left it there for good luck. Perhaps I should go bury a few rolls of Lincoln cents out in the woods next time, right?

Comments

• Options
    wow!....come and bury some pennies in my yard!....nice finds.
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    rhedden, you have magic soil.
    imageimage
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Seed coins. image
  • Options
    Maybe you should bury your icon coin and see what pops up next year.

May have an Early Bust Dollar by then.image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Wow!
    Not only did your penny make the coins improve, they multiplied.
    Fun story and great condition on the dimes! image

Sometimes great finds seem to be total coincidences... Shoot, I feel virtually all my best finds are... very few great coins earned honestly, through hard work.. image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy image, those are some fantastic-lookin' Barber dimes! imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.