Home Sports Talk
Options

Worst Franchise Moves in Sports History?

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
What is the worst franchise move in sports history? One might say "the hiring of Isaiah Thomas". After thinking about it, I believe it comes down to two (unless you can think of more that have slipped my mind.

Here is what I believ are the two worst franchise moves in sports history - (drum roll)....

Red Sox giving up Babe Ruth.

Portland or Houston not drafting Michael Jordan in 1984.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    Portland not taking Jordan was a bad move--but you have to give respect to Houston though. Houston took Olajuwan (sp?) that year and they won 2 championships during his career.

How about

Mets draft Steve Chilcott #1, Oakland takes Reggie Jackson #2 1966

Rangers draft David Clyde (and subsequently ruin his career by throwing him in the majors) over Robin Yount and Dave Winfield 1973

Worst franchise move though I think didn't involve a player--Detroit Lions hire Matt Millen as GM
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    While not the worst move I thought I would share one of the worst (semi) recent moves for my White Sox. Barry Bonds and Albert Belle were both available. JErry Reinsdorf was going to sign one of them. He got with Frank Thomas and they agreed Albert Belle was the way to go. I know everyone hates Barry but still....
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Another one with Chicago flavor is the Bulls trading Elton Brand for what turned out to be wither Eddie Curry or Tyson Chandler. That might be the worst move in their history.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Some of my recent favorites;

Jermaine Dye for Neifi Perez

Carlos Beltran for Mark Teahan/John Buck

Giving Angel Berroa a contract extension to be the worst all around player in baseball

Not trading Mike Sweeney to the Angels last year for anyone at all who could be playing right now

Or you can just sum it all up with selling the Royals to David Glass and letting his incompetent son run the team.
    Travis
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    JrMacdaddyJrMacdaddy Posts: 506 ✭✭
    How about the Reds trading Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas, Jack Baldschun and Dick Simpson?
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Portland or Houston not drafting Michael Jordan in 1984. >>

We ended up drafting Hakeem (then Akeem) Olajuwon. Some career highlights:

<< <i>Selected in 1996 as one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History

Is one of only eight players in NBA history with over 20,000 points and 12,000 rebounds in his career

Is the NBA s all-time leader with 3,830 career blocked shots

Passed Oscar Robertson for seventh on the NBA’s all-time scoring list 12/16/02 vs. Washington with his 26,711th point

Passed Oscar Robertson for ninth on the NBA all-time minutes played list 3/7/02 at Dallas with 43,886 minutes

Named 1993-94 NBA MVP in 1994 and NBA Defensive Player of the Year in 1992-93 and 1993-94

Named to the All-NBA First Team six times (1986-87 to 1988-99, 1992-93, 1993-94, 1996-97), the All-NBA Second Team three times (1985-86, 1989-90, 1995-96) and the All-NBA Third Team three times (1990-91, 1994-95, 1998-99)

Named to the NBA All-Defensive First Team five times (1986-87, 1987-88, 1989-90, 1992-93, 1993-94) and the All-Defensive Second Team four times (1984-85, 1990-91, 1995-96, 1996-97)

A member of the Houston Rockets' 1994 and 1995 back-to-back NBA champion teams, earning Finals MVP honors both seasons, and also appeared in the 1986 NBA Finals
    Has appeared in 145 career NBA Playoff games, averaging 25.9 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 3.2 apg, 3.26 bpg and 1.69 spg

Has played in 12 NBA All-Star Games (1985-1990, 1992-1997), starting 8 times and averaging 9.8 ppg, 7.8 rpg and 1.92 bpg

Led the NBA in blocked shots twice (1989-90, 1992-93) and in rebounds twice (1988-89, 1989-90)

Received the NBA Sportsmanship Award for the Midwest Division in 1999-2000

Scored his 25,000th career point, recording a game-high 32 points, 8 rebounds, 4 steals, 3 assists and 3 blocked shots, against the Utah Jazz on 4/1/99

Blocked his 3,500th career shot, registering a team-high 20 points, 6 rebounds and 4 blocked shots, in an 84-75 win over the Denver Nuggets on 3/9/99

Became the first player in NBA history to accumulate both 2,000 blocks and 2,000 steals with a steal against Seattle on 11/20/99

Closed the 1997-98 season as the Rockets' all-time franchise leader in points, rebounds (12,199), blocked shots, steals (1,895) and ranks 3rd in assists (2,771)

Scored his 24,000th career point, recording 20 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists, against the Minnesota Timberwolves on 2/26/98

Played in his 1,000th career game, posting 19 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 blocked shots, against the Washington Wizards on 2/24/98

Notched his 14th career triple-double, with 22 points, 16 rebounds and 10 assists, against the L.A. Clippers on 3/4/97

Shares the NBA Playoffs record for most blocks in a game with 10 against the L.A. Lakers in Game 2 of the 1990 Western Conference first round

Recorded the third quadruple-double in NBA history, with 18 points, 16 rebounds, 11 blocked shots and 10 assists, against the Milwaukee Bucks on 3/29/90

Shares the NBA Finals record for most blocks in a game with 8 against the Boston Celtics in Game 5 of the 1986 NBA Finals

Named to the 1984-85 NBA All-Rookie Team, was runner-up in the Rookie of the Year voting after averaging 20.6 ppg, 11.9 rpg and 2.68 bpg >>

Uh, yeah... Terrible move.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Mike Lynn of the Vikings trading 13 draft picks (?) to the cowboys for Herschel Walker.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

It certainly is. The Detroit Lions (along with a number of other teams) passing on Dan Marino when
    they had a chance to draft him.
  • Options
    JrMacdaddyJrMacdaddy Posts: 506 ✭✭
    Herschel Walker Trade

It wasn't that bad of a deal. I mean Herschel was here for 2 + seasons, rushed for 2264 yards while he was a Viking. Those draft pickers were overrated.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Hockey, Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson for John Cullen and Zarley Zalapski.

Penguins won 2 Stanley Cups, the Whalers moved to NASCAR country! image
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

The Cubs trading a 25 year old kid named Lou Brock for 3 guys who played a combined 261 games for the Cubs and none of which were on the team after 2 seasons.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Just wanted to add a recent one that right now is looking like a major mistake for the SF Giants--Boof Bonser, Joe Nathan and Francisco Liriano for AJ Pierzynski. Bonser made his debut this past week and looked pretty good. Nathan has been an All-Star both seasons since the trade. Liriano is considered the future ace of the Twins. AJ lasted 13 months in SF before being released.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

• Options
    Staying in line with lopsided trades...

Has anyone been involved in more lopsided trades than Curt Schilling?

Red Sox traded Schilling and Brady Anderson to Baltimore for Mike Boddicker (Boddicker did go 39-22 for the BoSox over 2 1/2 seasons)

Baltimore traded Schilling, Steve Finley and Pete Harnish to Houston for Glenn Davis (Davis played in 175 games over 3 seasons for Baltimore)

Houston traded Schilling to Philadelphia for Jason Grimsley

Philadelphia traded Schilling to Arizona for Omar Daal, Nelson Figeuroa, Travis Lee and Vicente Padilla

Arizona traded Schilling to Boston for Casey Fossum, Brandon Lyon, Jorge De la Rosa, and Michael Goss

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    How about the bucs passing on Earl Campbell and Tony Dorsett in consecutive years of the draft?

JS
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    Two moves:

1) In 1986 Vancouver Canucks trade Cam Neely and a first round pick (Glen Wesley) to Boston for Barry Pederson. Neely is now in the HOF and Wesley has played over 1300 games in the NHL (currently in the Eastern Conference final with Carolina). Pedersen had two solid, if unspectacular, seasons with the Canucks but was rendered ineffective after that due to injuries, and he was out of the league by the end of the 91-92 season.

2) Vancouver Grizzlies hire Stu Jackson as General Manager. Jackson made one bone-headed move after another:
      signing Bryant "Big Country" Reeves to a huge multi-year contract
      passing over future stars such as Stephon Marbury, Ray Allen, Kobe Bryant , Jermaine O'Neal, and a local kid by the name of Steve Nash (he turned out pretty well) in favour of Shareef Abdur-Rahim
      later turning down an offer of Nash straight up for the #4 overall pick in '97
      using that #4 pick in '97 to draft Antonio Daniels, passing over Tracy McGrady in the process
      drafting Mike Bibby instead of Vince Carter or Dirk Nowitski
      drafting Steve Francis despite Francis' public objections prior to the draft
    I have no doubts that had "Stooge" not been allowed to mismanage the Grizz into the ground, Vancouver would still have an NBA team. That the crowds still filled the arena year after losing year is a testament to what a solid basketball market it really is.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    How many teams passed over Randy Moss?
  • Options
    Moss went 21st--Peyton Manning went 1st overall, and there were very few decent players chosen between him and Moss

• Options
    Wasn't future HOF'er Mike Piazza taken with the last pick as a courtsey to his uncle Tommy Lasorda?
  • Options
    The Bucs could of had this team line up in 1987 had they played their cards right:

QB Dan Marino
    RB Bo Jackson
    RB Tony Dorsett
    RB Earl Campbell
    WR Jerry Rice

OUCH

JS
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>The Bucs could of had this team line up in 1987 had they played their cards right:

QB Dan Marino
    RB Bo Jackson
    RB Tony Dorsett
    RB Earl Campbell
    WR Jerry Rice

OUCH

JS >>

Thank God those guys went on to have successful careers and didn't have to suffer "The Curse of the Creamsicle Uni." image
  • Options
    yeah, who needs Dan Marino when you can have Michael Haddix instead? LOL

JS
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Portland or Houston not drafting Michael Jordan in 1984. >>

We ended up drafting Hakeem (then Akeem) Olajuwon. Some career highlights:

<< <i>Selected in 1996 as one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History

Is one of only eight players in NBA history with over 20,000 points and 12,000 rebounds in his career

Is the NBA s all-time leader with 3,830 career blocked shots

Passed Oscar Robertson for seventh on the NBA’s all-time scoring list 12/16/02 vs. Washington with his 26,711th point

Passed Oscar Robertson for ninth on the NBA all-time minutes played list 3/7/02 at Dallas with 43,886 minutes

Named 1993-94 NBA MVP in 1994 and NBA Defensive Player of the Year in 1992-93 and 1993-94

Named to the All-NBA First Team six times (1986-87 to 1988-99, 1992-93, 1993-94, 1996-97), the All-NBA Second Team three times (1985-86, 1989-90, 1995-96) and the All-NBA Third Team three times (1990-91, 1994-95, 1998-99)

Named to the NBA All-Defensive First Team five times (1986-87, 1987-88, 1989-90, 1992-93, 1993-94) and the All-Defensive Second Team four times (1984-85, 1990-91, 1995-96, 1996-97)

A member of the Houston Rockets' 1994 and 1995 back-to-back NBA champion teams, earning Finals MVP honors both seasons, and also appeared in the 1986 NBA Finals
    Has appeared in 145 career NBA Playoff games, averaging 25.9 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 3.2 apg, 3.26 bpg and 1.69 spg

Has played in 12 NBA All-Star Games (1985-1990, 1992-1997), starting 8 times and averaging 9.8 ppg, 7.8 rpg and 1.92 bpg

Led the NBA in blocked shots twice (1989-90, 1992-93) and in rebounds twice (1988-89, 1989-90)

Received the NBA Sportsmanship Award for the Midwest Division in 1999-2000

Scored his 25,000th career point, recording a game-high 32 points, 8 rebounds, 4 steals, 3 assists and 3 blocked shots, against the Utah Jazz on 4/1/99

Blocked his 3,500th career shot, registering a team-high 20 points, 6 rebounds and 4 blocked shots, in an 84-75 win over the Denver Nuggets on 3/9/99

Became the first player in NBA history to accumulate both 2,000 blocks and 2,000 steals with a steal against Seattle on 11/20/99

Closed the 1997-98 season as the Rockets' all-time franchise leader in points, rebounds (12,199), blocked shots, steals (1,895) and ranks 3rd in assists (2,771)

Scored his 24,000th career point, recording 20 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists, against the Minnesota Timberwolves on 2/26/98

Played in his 1,000th career game, posting 19 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 blocked shots, against the Washington Wizards on 2/24/98

Notched his 14th career triple-double, with 22 points, 16 rebounds and 10 assists, against the L.A. Clippers on 3/4/97

Shares the NBA Playoffs record for most blocks in a game with 10 against the L.A. Lakers in Game 2 of the 1990 Western Conference first round

Recorded the third quadruple-double in NBA history, with 18 points, 16 rebounds, 11 blocked shots and 10 assists, against the Milwaukee Bucks on 3/29/90

Shares the NBA Finals record for most blocks in a game with 8 against the Boston Celtics in Game 5 of the 1986 NBA Finals

Named to the 1984-85 NBA All-Rookie Team, was runner-up in the Rookie of the Year voting after averaging 20.6 ppg, 11.9 rpg and 2.68 bpg >>

Uh, yeah... Terrible move. >>

Although Olajuwon was a great HOF'er, are you telling me that you would rather have had him than MJ? Even though that list of the accomplishmenst of Olajuwon is long, I would set a record for the longest post if I listed Michael Jordan's accomplishments. It would dwarf that list.

Shane

• Options
    The Dodgers trading Pedro Martinez for DeShields, that was a winning trade!!!
  • Options
    I have two for ya.

1. The Cubs sold to the Wrigley Family
    2. The Cubs sold to the Tribune Company from the Wrigley Family.

Worst moves evar......

/OK, I'm ticked and it shows

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    IMO.........MLB putting a team In seattle back in 69.

then doing it again 8 years? later.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The trade Blue Jays fan will forever regret:

Michael Young to Texas for Esteban Loiza
  • Options

<< <i>IMO.........MLB putting a team In seattle back in 69.

Steve >>

You're missing Axtell tonight, huh? Trying to bait him out of the OF I guess. image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Although Olajuwon was a great HOF'er, are you telling me that you would rather have had him than MJ? Even though that list of the accomplishmenst of Olajuwon is long, I would set a record for the longest post if I listed Michael Jordan's accomplishments. It would dwarf that list. >>

I never said that... I'm saying taking Hakeem over Jordan, at the time and based upon what Dream did during his career, should not be considered one of the "Worst Franchise Moves in Sports History". Considering the numerous blunders before and since; the Rockets taking Dream is not even in the top 10.

I would consider the 1998 NBA Draft with the Rockets taking THREE 1st round picks Dickerson (#14), Drew (#16), AND Turkan (#18) over home-grown Rashard Lewis (#32) a "Worst Franchise Moves in Sports History" over Dream going before Jordan without even blinking.

Edited to add 1998 Draft board here.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>IMO.........MLB putting a team In seattle back in 69.

Steve >>

You're missing Axtell tonight, huh? Trying to bait him out of the OF I guess. image >>

He's got a man crush.

It's pathetic that he devotes so much time and attention to someone who he swore he was going to ignore not even a week ago.

• Options
    Coin

not sure what you mean. I simply gave my opinion on what i felt was the worst franchise moves. If Axtell (and you) want to think that every post i make revolves around him that is your problem.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    WP-

Your attempts to play the 'who me?!' card are beyond pathetic.

Either man up and say 'yes, I am trying to get digs in on Ax' or shut the f**k up about the Mariners, ok?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Although Olajuwon was a great HOF'er, are you telling me that you would rather have had him than MJ? Even though that list of the accomplishmenst of Olajuwon is long, I would set a record for the longest post if I listed Michael Jordan's accomplishments. It would dwarf that list. >>

I never said that... I'm saying taking Hakeem over Jordan, at the time and based upon what Dream did during his career, should not be considered one of the "Worst Franchise Moves in Sports History". Considering the numerous blunders before and since; the Rockets taking Dream is not even in the top 10.

I would consider the 1998 NBA Draft with the Rockets taking THREE 1st round picks Dickerson (#14), Drew (#16), AND Turkan (#18) over home-grown Rashard Lewis (#32) a "Worst Franchise Moves in Sports History" over Dream going before Jordan without even blinking.

Edited to add 1998 Draft board here. >>

I see what you are saying. I might have to agree that it wasn't the worst move in the world. But Portland's pick sure was.

Shane

• Options
    LOL

looks like I must have hit a raw nerve,

fwiw (for those that did not know) the seattle team in 69 was called the pilots. they sucked too. They were moved to milwaukee where they produced some fine players, that actually stayed with the team. Molitor, Yount etc. What has the most recent entry produced? I'll tell ya, guys that can't wait to get the heck out. Too much losing. heck even the one year they were the bomb they got blasted out of the water by the big bad Yankees.

and also fwiw, I will speak about the lowest franchise (IMO) seattle all i want.
    Someone needs to, as it is obvious we have too much talk about large market teams. The lowly mariners should get some time here as well.

GOD knows the resident so called fan that they have here never speaks up about them. How can he? They suck. They are an imaginary team for lil boys that will never grow up.

have a great safe weekend guys!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

Dodgers leave Clemente exposed in the minor league draft, I believe the Pirates paid $100 for him. Didn't hurt the Dodgers much, they were pretty darn good in the 50s, winning 5 pennants and 2 w/s.

Mets trade P Nolan Ryan to Angels for SS Jim Fregosi because they needed a 3B. Fregosi didn't do well at 3B but the Mets went to the world series in 73, but they were pretty bad for a while after that and it's hard to imagine Ryan and Seaver back to back.

• Options

<< <i>LOL

looks like I must have hit a raw nerve,
    >>

No, your nonstop babbling just grows tiresome. You are a petulant child who obviously wasn't hugged enough as a youngster, so you take your aggression out here. It's quite an interesting study in human psychology.

<< <i>fwiw (for those that did not know) the seattle team in 69 was called the pilots. they sucked too. They were moved to milwaukee where they produced some fine players, that actually stayed with the team. Molitor, Yount etc. What has the most recent entry produced? I'll tell ya, guys that can't wait to get the heck out. Too much losing. heck even the one year they were the bomb they got blasted out of the water by the big bad Yankees. >>

And you think that if Molitor or Yount were offered $252 million they would have stayed? No. Quit talking about things you have NO idea about (oh wait, that would be everything - you are completely clueless).

<< <i>and also fwiw, I will speak about the lowest franchise (IMO) seattle all i want.
    Someone needs to, as it is obvious we have too much talk about large market teams. The lowly mariners should get some time here as well.

GOD knows the resident so called fan that they have here never speaks up about them. How can he? They suck. They are an imaginary team for lil boys that will never grow up.
    >>

Imaginary team? Is that your pathetic little dig at my signature line? Last time I checked, there was an actual team with 'Mariners' on the unis. Or do things not exist outside the narrow little NY world you've carved for yourself? No wonder you think huge disparities in payroll are good for baseball, it's a huge plus for the team's you supposedly 'root' for.

What's funniest about all this? Which team holds the MLB record for most losses in a season?

Not the Pilots, not the Mariners. Yep, it's your 'mighty' Mets.
  • Options
    talk about non stop babbling that has grown tiresome. at least i do not ask the same stupid question over and over. I am forced to answer the same stupid question over and over. If it has grown so tiresome for you why do you insist on replying? You surely are not impressing ANYONE with wit.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    What's funniest about all this? Which team holds the MLB record for most losses in a season?

Not the Pilots, not the Mariners. Yep, it's your 'mighty' Mets.

WRONG

Clvlnd CLV 20 134 .130 84.0

Boy do you ever get anything right?

Sad being as stupid as you.

I'd pick apart more of what you said but it is getting tiresome.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The Canadiens trade Chris Chelios and a second round draft pick for Denis Savard (who was basically washed up at the time). This is of course after they could have drafted him in 1980 but took DOUG WICKENHEISER with the #1 pick in the draft instead (Savard went 3rd I think). This might not seem like a major move, but this pushed the Habs back 10 years!
    How about the Expos trading Randy Johnson AND 2 other players to the Mariners for Mark Langston in 1989--Langston left for more money the year after and a few years later Randy became the talk of the baseball world--pathetic!
    Jay
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    80stoyguy - You are missing my favourite Montreal Canadiens trade.
    The Habs deal Rod Langway, Brian Engblom, Craig Laughlin and Doug Jarvis to Washington for Ryan Walter and Rick Green.

You should not complain too much though. After each pathetic trade the Habs went on to win the Stanley Cup.

The Langston-Johnson deal is ironic. The one time the small market Expos deal for the present and give up some future it turns out to be terrible.

frankhardy - You should not be too hard on Portland. In hindsight they look pathetic but at the time they already had Clyde Drexler, and very few teams at that point ever won a title without a HOF center. Their mistake was probably taking Bowie over Olajuwan considering they were taking a center anyway. Also, Michael knew before he declared for the draft he was going to either Houston or Chicago so I am not 100 % certain he would have declared if he knew Portland was going to take him.
  • Options

St. Louis Cardinals Football team!
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    The Sixers passed on Brad Daugherty in the 80's to trade for Roy Hinson, took Shawn Bradley in the early '90s and passed on Dirk Nowitzki and Paul Pierce to take Larry Hughes in the late '90's/2000's
  • Options

<< <i>WP-

Your attempts to play the 'who me?!' card are beyond pathetic.

Either man up and say 'yes, I am trying to get digs in on Ax' or shut the f**k up about the Mariners, ok? >>

Come on, WP -- Seattle is a good size market for any major league sports team. They ponied up for the kick-ass ballpark as well.
  • Options

<< <i>Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

It certainly is. The Detroit Lions (along with a number of other teams) passing on Dan Marino when
    they had a chance to draft him. >>

The best thing for Marino was that the Lions did pass on him, they would have screwed him up as they have every single QB that has come down the pike!!!!
  • Options
    Worst Franchise Moves in Sports History?

Moving the Dodgers to LA

2nd worse was moving the Raiders to LA
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Reds traded Frank Robinson to the Orioles for Milt Pappas and two other players that I can't think of... Frank Robinson was the only player to win the Triple crown in both leagues...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Coin, Frank Robby did not win the triple crown in both leagues. he won it in 66 in the AL

He won the mvp in both leagues.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to limit this to Minnesota sports teams:

#1. Calvin Griffith, Twins owner, decides he doesn't believe in free agency and paying players what turns out to be nominal money (even back then) and lets go of the following players over a 2 year period:

1. Bert Blyleven (traded 1976 to Rangers for Roy Smalley, Bill Singer, Mike Cubbage, and Jim Gideon PLUS $250K in cash --- not that bad a deal)
    2. Larry Hisle (free agent after 1977 to Brewers)
    3. Lyman Bostock (free agent after 1977 to Angels)
    4. Bill Campbell (free agent after 1976 to Red Sox)
    5. Dan Ford (traded after 1978 to Angels for Danny Goodwin, and Ron Jackson)
    6. Rod Carew (traded after 1978 to Angels for Ken Landreux, Dave Engle, Paul Hartzell and Brad Havens)
    7. Dave Goltz (free agent after 1979)

#2 Norm Green, North Stars owner, snowballs the Minnesota public en route to Dallas while changing the jerseys from North Stars to Stars and poof...gone!

#3 Herschel Walker trade (a bad move all the way around. Had only 1 great game, his first one).

#4 Minnesota Gophers football, Twins and Vikings move into the Metrodome

#5 Minneapolis Lakers move to L.A.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WinPitcher...

You are right... my mistake... I meant to say MVP. The NL has not had a triple crown winner since 1937...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Should I go here..........................................................the Pirates not signing Barry Bonds?