Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1973 Topps Baseball - What's Your Favorite Common?

I've got about 20% of the 1973 Topps baseball card set nailed down. This is a terrific set because it takes an otherwise meaningless card and makes it great - the Freddie Patek and Terry Crowley cards are two of my favorites that come to mind. But I think the Luis Alvarado card takes the cake. A shortstop with the ChiSox it looks like he's playing a muni league softball game, and if he overthrows first he might just nail the Dodge Dart parked just past first. I have no idea how people can knock this set (well except for the Boyhood Photo cards - ugh). All of the cards I mentioned would otherwise be boring head shots, instead they are great action photos, especially in the horizontal layout.

Comments

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭
    I agree completely that this is an underrated set with some very cool commons like those you mentioned (Gotta love the Alvarado -- the only baseball card I've ever seen with a parking lot in the photo). A couple others I'm fond of are the Denis Menke (#52) which almost looks like an impressionist painting, and the Frank Duffy (#376) which always reminds me of the classic 1953 Bowman Pee Wee Reese.

Good luck with your set!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't collect the 73T set - so I'm clueless...sorry.

But I do want to say hi to new faces!

Burker and Elemenoeo.

Sounds like a law firm.

mike
    Mike