Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Looking for opinions of a 2nd set to start

Hello everyone!

I'm currently working on a 69 topps baseball set and I'm thinking about starting a 2nd set. I would like a set that is older & smaller in size than the 69. Currently I am thinking about one of the following:

63 Fleer Baseball - PSA 7
I've always liked the design of this set. The small size I feel will perhaps make it the easist of the sets I'm looking at. The player selection is ok. However, most of the HOFers are also in the 69 Topps set and there are virtually no rookies. I'm also not very excited about the most valuable card being a checklist.

55 Topps Baseball - PSA 3
Rookies and 2nd year cards are great. Clemente has always been one of my favorite players despite his passing before I was born. I know, I could only afford to put this set together in a lower grade, probably around PSA 3 and even then I think it would be a challenge due to the size.

58 Topps Football - PSA 7
This set is really starting to grow on me. Brown & Jurgensen rookies along with Starr & Unitas 2nd year are the keys cards in the set. I think this would be a fun set to be able to learn about the players from the pre-superbowl era (an era I have little knowledge about).

So, which of these sets do you feel would be the most challenging? rewarding? Which would you like to have in your collection? I'd also be open to hear opinions on any other sets I may have overlooked.

Thanks
D.J.

Comments

• Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Don't be shy, go after a T-206 set or maybe a 52 Topps.

Seriously, pick a set that you have a genuine interest in. The higher the climb, the bigger the satisfaction at the top. Why not try the 59 Fleer Ted Williams set. Only one hard (expensive) card and just 80 cards. It's a really popular set as well, shouldn't have too much trouble finding cards for that one. I like the idea of a 63 Fleer set, some nice cards in that one, the checklist could be a tough find and costly. Good luck in what ever you choose.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I don't think there is any point putting together a '55 Topps set in PSA 3- the grading fees will exceed the value on a lot of the cards. Better to work on that one raw, and at that level you can safely buy on ebay.
    I don't know anything about football, so I"ll pass on the '58's.
    The '63 Fleer set is a great choice, IMO. Easy to find in PSA 7, and it won't kill you. 7's have great eye appeal and are plentiful, so you won't kill yourself when one comes up, since there will be another soon. On the downside there is no Mantle, but that helps with the cost.
    A few other suggestions-

'64 Topps Standups 77 cards, all the stars of the day. 7's will take a while to find which should help you control your budget. Some shortprints for a bit of a challenge.

'64 Topps Giants- 60 cards, good player selection. Easy to do in PSA 7, even 8's aren't that bad. A few tricky cards, but they are fairly plentiful.

'54 Red Heart- 33 cards, and they look great. The most expensive ones are Mantle and Musial. Lots of HOFers, many of which you won't find in the '60's sets listed above- Snider, Lemon, Schoendienst, Ashburn, Kell, Kiner, Slaughter. Not hard in PSA 7, and they look pretty cool.

Whatever you chose, best of luck with it, and welcome to the boards!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I have an incredible start to a really high grade 1964 Topps Giants set that I am about ready to list on Ebay. If you have any interest in that one, I could help you out.

1964 Topps Stand up set is a very fun set. I made the set in all PSA 8's back in 2003.

Best of luck.

Email me if you are interested.

Shaneleo@aol.com
    Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Ever think of trying one of the early Bowman sets ?(50,51,52) Relatively small in size and the artwork is amazing. Good Luck on whatever you choose!

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    1955 Topps is my all-time favorite. Easy choice for me.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Hi,

I think it may be tough to do 1955 Topps Baseball in PSA 3, since most commons will be of higher grade. I think it is a good choice to do raw in the VG condition range.

I'll throw my suggestion out of a Red Man set. I finished my 1955 set a few months ago and it is a challenge. I did it in PSA 5-6-7 with a few 8s. For me, it was a good mix of submitting raw cards, cracking and crossing over, and watching ebay for cards. The cards are out there but not in such numbers that there is always one on ebay, so it is kind of a forced budget. The cards look great.

The '64 Stand-ups is a set I've considered as well, but I'm not that excited about the yellow background cards. I think the '64 Giants is a set with great photography and very attractive cards. A high grade Giants set may be my next one. With any set in the '50s or '60s, the big thing to consider is the price of the Mantle card.

My 2 cents.
  • Options
    Try something in prewar like the t205 gold border set. Only 220 cards and some great variations. Tons of hall of famers and when you're done, go buy a 40 foot sailboat!
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Even though i don't collect basketball, if i recall the 72' set was pretty funkadelic with colors. I love cards with great color and i believe that set had it.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1956 Topps set is a really nice option as well, beautifull artwork and pretty much everyone that starred in the 50's is in that set except Musial. Psa 7's are reasonably affordable and look very nice.