Home Sports Talk
Options

Duke Women's lacrosse team

1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
This is just one more reason why I can't stand Duke.

Up until this point, I think the whole thing has been handled perfectly by the University, but to allow those dames/broads/chicks/etc to wear the "Innocent" arm bands is beyond ridiculous to me.

How do they know what happened?
collecting various PSA and SGC cards

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    they raped me..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    LWMMLWMM Posts: 471
    While I don't like the idea of the armbands (although I, too, am of the opinion that the stripper was not raped by the team), I see nothing wrong in the women's lax wearing them---They are simpley expressing support for a team. Would you rather they wear "Guilty" signs?

Also, imagine the implied message if Duke had not allowed them:
    a) We (Duke) think that the men's lax is guilty
    b) We don't support the team at all

Lastly, do you realise how hypocritical/ironic it is, calling the players broads?
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    You can't stand a team standing up for it's brothers? The fact that there was NO DNA matching from the alleged victim and any of the men? What about the fact that the alleged victim didn't go to the police station or hospital directly following what happened, instead going to a grocery store? What about the other dancer who has hired a PR firm to make money on this situation?

What?

I suppose those 'broads' as you call them know those guys far better than you. Please tell me how this show of solidarity is a bad thing?

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Happy to see someone picked up on my "broads" comment .... and I used those terms for a reason. This was an alleged sexual assault on a woman, and by proclaiming these guys innocent w/o really knowing what happened, the whole womens movement was just set back a bit.

I am not saying these guys are guilty. I just think Duke allowing them to wear these shows lack of foresight. Up until this point, the University was able to somewhat separate themselves from this alleged incident and not allowing them to wear them would not have admitted guilt.

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Gonna get on my soap box for a minute here...

Whether the Duke men's lacrosse team players are innocent or not, they put themselves in the position for problems by having that party with strippers. Get a group of 40+ young horny guys together, throw in some alcohol and scantily clan women and something might happen--if it was what is alleged or otherwise--they put themselves in that predicament. Now I'm not saying they are guilty--the trial will determine that. But this women's lacrosse team is absolutely insane for showing support for their brethren by wearing arm bands saying 'innocent'. This is their time to shine. They have an opportunity to win a championship, and if they do, all anyone will remember is 'innocent'. They should be distancing themselves from all of the bad publicity--instead they are welcoming it with the arm bands.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i> What about the fact that the alleged victim didn't go to the police station or hospital directly following what happened, instead going to a grocery store? >>

Axtell.....in rapes and sexual assault cases this type of behavior is NOT indicative of anything......and is in fact normal for women to do.

Do I think the guys are guilty? Probably not from what I've read. It would seem that the defense easily has enough matter for "Reasonable Doubt".

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Someone has hijacked Axtell's ID.

First he defends Arod.

Now he defends accused rapists.

Next we'll see a pic of him burning his ACLU membership card.

Oh the humanity.

For the record.

The Duke players are probably guilty of nothing other than bad judgment. However, the victim's perception in any sex crime must prevail while the legal system sorts out the facts and determines guilt. This protects victims and gives them the confidence to report crimes.

The school has the right to prevent players from displaying armbands, signs, etc. It's a school sponsored event and I believe falls under the same legal precedent as controversial articles published in school publications. In those cases the school has been given clearance to censor, yes?
  • Options
    Dallas88Dallas88 Posts: 746
    So far, as I can tell, there is only one FACT in the case. All DNA samples have returned negative matches.....anything else is speculation, and he said, she said.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>So far, as I can tell, there is only one FACT in the case. All DNA samples have returned negative matches.....anything else is speculation, and he said, she said. >>

Supposedly that is true and has everyone wondering why the players have been charged.

But, getting from the charge to the trial may be difficult for the DA.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    The DA is up for re-election and is desperately grasping at straws in order to get votes. Even if this doesn't get to trial, he'll run on 'I'm tough on crime!'

The only thing he cares about is keeping his job for another term, and couldn't care less how this turns out.
  • Options
    LWMMLWMM Posts: 471

<< <i>The DA is up for re-election and is desperately grasping at straws in order to get votes. Even if this doesn't get to trial, he'll run on 'I'm tough on crime!'

The only thing he cares about is keeping his job for another term, and couldn't care less how this turns out. >>

Nifong already won the election, and has since sharply reduced the press conferences, etc.
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com