Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Received a nice package in the mail.

Today in the mail I received the last of the Canadian Bullion Coins that I needed to get; A One Ounce Platinum Maple Leaf. Up until today I had a one ounce gold, silver and palladium maple leaf but not a platinum one. Thanks to a new job and a credit card with 0% interest until March of 2007, I decided to pull the trigger and pick up a one ounce platinum maple leaf. It's nice having all four of the Canadian bullion coins in my hands. (While the US coins are nice, I find the Canadian bullion coins much more appealing for some reason). When I get a chance this weekend, I'll have to take a picture of all four one ounce coins and post it here. image
I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.

Comments

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Nice buy.
  • Options
    Hey Jdurg

I see you collect the elements, have you got any Gadolinium? I got to work with that metal back in my Uni days, great fun

Dr J
  • Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    Here are the pictures. All four one-ounce Canadian Maple Leafs. image And yes drjules, I do have pure gadolinium metal. If the element has a stable isotope, I have a sample of it. image A collage of all my elements can be downloaded from this link here.

I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    I wonder if the RCM will issue a 3-coin proof set of 1 troy ounce gold, silver and palladium since they stopped issuing the platinum maple leaf in 1999. Last time they issued a proof set of 1 troy ounce gold, silver and platinum was in 1989. The coins are magnificent! image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Your post on the liteside is worth a post here as well! image

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if the RCM will issue a 3-coin proof set of 1 troy ounce gold, silver and palladium since they stopped issuing the platinum maple leaf in 1999. Last time they issued a proof set of 1 troy ounce gold, silver and platinum was in 1989. The coins are magnificent! image >>

Yeah that would be interesting. I'm actually looking to figure out what year was the first year of the platinum one ounce coins as I'd like to trade in my 1991 1 ounce for that initial year. My palladium is a first year issue as is my gold, so to get the platinum and silver first year issues would be kind of neat.

The liteside picture I posted is indeed pretty cool. I just sat there after laying it all out and went "wow". I remember when I had ZERO precious metal coins, and now I have a great deal. There's a lot of time, hard work, and money in those photos. image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm actually looking to figure out what year was the first year of the platinum one ounce coins as I'd like to trade in my 1991 1 ounce for that initial year. image >>

First year issue of the Canada Platinum Maple Leaf (9995 purity) is 1988 and discontinued in 1999. 1988 is also the first year issue for Silver (9999 purity). Gold first year issue is 1979 (999 purity from 1979-1981, then upped to 9999 from 1982). Palladium is the baby with first year issue in 2005 (9995 purity). image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677
    nice bullion set!

stunning, really
  • Options

<< <i>nice bullion set!

stunning, really >>

Thank you! I'm quite fond of it myself. image I had wanted to have a complete bullion "type set" of sorts, and wanted to do it with USA Eagles originally. However, the Canadian coins were of higher purity and Canada also has the Palladium Maple Leaf which the US does not. Plus, the design on the maple leaf coins are so simple, yet attractive that I'm drawn to them.

Looking at the liteside picture in this thread, 1 Oz Silver, 1 Oz Palladium, 1.4 Oz Gold and 1.65 Oz Platinum never looked so good. image