Home Metal Detecting
Options

What is this?

I just got in from detecting at my grandma's and found this thing near the garden. It appears to be a flattened piece of copper with "1571" on one side and a big "V" on the other. It was about 2 inches deep and my uncle said it could have just been something my dad or he made when they were kids, but he's not sure. I don't know what the significance of the "1571" or "V" could be. Any ideas on this one?

I lust for silver.
imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    Wow, that's a nice looking Spanish cob you have there! LOL. It does kind of resemble one. That's pretty strange. Looks almost like it was made by using a screwdriver and a hammer to pound the design in, since the design is composed of rectangular segments. You find the strangest things. image
    Always on the lookout for a silver opportunity.
    imageimage
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Thats exactly what I thought when I saw it. "Engraved" with the end of a screwdriver
  • Options
    SilverDreamsSilverDreams Posts: 427 ✭✭
    I guess I found the family cob. Woohoo!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I would send it in to be slabbed in such a way that they should obviously know what it is. They would probably spend 100 man hours investigating it rather than send it back in a body bag saying they don’t know what it is. image
    imageimage
  • Options
    That's pretty weird! Maybe a penny that was set on a RR track then engraved?

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage