Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Interesting reading

It's from the Pro Football Hall of Fame website. It describes how all the team nicknames were chosen.

Regards,

Greg M.

Linky dinky
Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• Thanks for the info
  • nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting, Thanks for the link, Greg.

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    very interesting
    thanks
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    This is priceless:

DETROIT LIONS - The Lions name was chosen by George A. Richards, the Detroit radio executive who purchased the Portsmouth Spartans and moved the team to Detroit in 1934. “The lion is monarch of the jungle,” a team spokesperson said, “and we hope to be the monarch of the league.”
  • jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Fun link, interesting read.

I had heard that the "Chargers" were actually named such due to Hilton ( team owner ) being the hotel industry giant he was, wanting to let everyone be reminded of the possibility of charging a room while staying at a Hilton hotel. Credit cards were new and not popular at all when the AFL began. Hilton knew it would be a great way to increase income, Hilton was going to be an issuing agent/middleman on certain credit cards.

At the time cash was nearly the only way to pay, being a "Charger" was high-tech. Anyone else hear something like this ??

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.