Home Sports Talk

Question for Phillies Fans

From a Cubs fan.

Many Phillies Fans vehemently (in Philly you always argue vehemently) argue that the Philadelphia Phillies have been the worst performing franchise in the history of MLB. The argument is as follows:

“The Phillies have been in existence for over 125 years in some shape or form and have only won one championship. They always tease us and fall apart after the All Star Break and while management does spend money, the players never live up to the hype.”

If I was a Phillies fan I would not state that they are the worst performing franchise in MLB history. At least the one championship came during most of our lifetimes and although the 1993 failure to Toronto must have been heartbreaking, at least you made it there.

This is what I have to live with:

2 WS victories, with the last in 1908 when there were about 8 teams in the league.
Last WS appearance – 1945
Rare back to back winning seasons
On track for another forgettable season.
“Fans” who enjoy getting drunk more than watching a game

Can someone explain what I’m missing here? I’m sure the contender vs. non-contender issue will be brought up, but as a Cubs fan, I cannot think of another MLB team that has been as poorly run (assuming a long enough history) as the Cubs.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
      The Cubs have won twice as many World Series as the Phillies
        The Chicago Cubs have won 16 pennants in their franchise history. The Phillies have won 5.
          Our inept management gave you Ryne Sandberg
            Your franchise has a winning record. 9,835 wins and 9,286 losses. That is 51.4% of games ever played won.
              In contract, the Phillies are sporting 8,679 wins and 9,879 losses. That is only a 46.8% winning percentage.
                Think about that - The Phillies have lost 600 more games than the Cubs ever have, AND have won over 1,150 less games.
                  To "Catch Up", if you will to the Cubs winning record, assuming that the cubs maintain a .514 winning percentage, the Phillies would have to play an ASTOUNDING twenty-nine consecutive seasons of .700 ball (113 wins and 49 losses) to simply have the same franchise winning percentage as the Cubs.
                    One relatively recent win does not make up for past failures. In fact, the Phillies stretch from 1933 through 1945 has to be one of the worst stretches in all sports history. Only two years during that stretch did the Phillies having a winning record of over .400. Both of those times, the Phillies were at least 25 games under .500. Every other season was significantly worse. Seven of those seasons sported over 100 losses.
                      The Phillies inaugural season, in 1883, should have been a portend of things to come. 17 wins and 81 losses.

I just don't see how you can legitimately say that, over Franchise History, the Phillies are not significantly worse than the Cubs.
                      I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
                    • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
                      well said ... unfortunately image

Plus, it's the Cubbies!
                      collecting various PSA and SGC cards

• << <i>
                        The Cubs have won twice as many World Series as the Phillies
                          The Chicago Cubs have won 16 pennants in their franchise history. The Phillies have won 5.
                            Our inept management gave you Ryne Sandberg
                              Your franchise has a winning record. 9,835 wins and 9,286 losses. That is 51.4% of games ever played won.
                                In contract, the Phillies are sporting 8,679 wins and 9,879 losses. That is only a 46.8% winning percentage.
                                  Think about that - The Phillies have lost 600 more games than the Cubs ever have, AND have won over 1,150 less games.
                                    To "Catch Up", if you will to the Cubs winning record, assuming that the cubs maintain a .514 winning percentage, the Phillies would have to play an ASTOUNDING twenty-nine consecutive seasons of .700 ball (113 wins and 49 losses) to simply have the same franchise winning percentage as the Cubs.
                                      One relatively recent win does not make up for past failures. In fact, the Phillies stretch from 1933 through 1945 has to be one of the worst stretches in all sports history. Only two years during that stretch did the Phillies having a winning record of over .400. Both of those times, the Phillies were at least 25 games under .500. Every other season was significantly worse. Seven of those seasons sported over 100 losses.
                                        The Phillies inaugural season, in 1883, should have been a portend of things to come. 17 wins and 81 losses.

I just don't see how you can legitimately say that, over Franchise History, the Phillies are not significantly worse than the Cubs. >>

Great post especially when it is framed in the manner it is. Yes Philly fans have suffered, but all I'm saying is that the 1980 championship sure goes a long way. Without that, the franchise would without a doubt be the worst

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
                                        2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
                                        3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
                                      • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
                                        I can only speak for as long as I have been a Phils fan. I don't think anyone can know heartbreak anymore than after the Joe
                                        Carter blast. Of course we all knew Mitch was a ticking bomb, but thats why we loved him and called him wildthing. There was nothing
                                        pretty about that 93 team. Led by Kruk,Daulton and Lenny, long hair and untucked shirts. How out of place was clean cut Von Hayes in that
                                        lineup?

I also remember the Baltimore series, not as frustrating, but none the less, second place hurts more than not making it to the playoffs.

You are right about the all star break, total meltdown EVERY single year. Bowa set the team back 10 years, that isn't how you run a ballclub.
                                        Can you imagine a lineup with Howard, Utley, Burrell, Rolen and Thome? Im probably dreaming, but there is only one way to offset
                                        poor pitching...you just hit the snot out of the ball!

I can only think of 2 standout pitchers the Phils have had, since 1980. One of the them is in the hall and one is ready for the hall. You just
                                        can't win rings without defense!

JS
                                      • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

I lived in the town next to Mitch when he blew that game. They almost trashed his house.

I'll bite.

The Phils rock and will kick the Cubs up and down the street any night of the week!

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
                                        man, I just googled Mitch Williams and the Carter pic came up...rough!

not as rough as Bucker though.

JS
                                      • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
                                        Joe, Von Hayes was very much indeed out of place in that lineup ... as a matter of fact, he was out of the lineup entirely. I think he retired in 91 with the Angels.

As far as Bowa, I liked him as a manager. It was Ed Wade that was the root of the problem, as well as Montgomery for letting Wade stay on. I could be wrong, but I do not think there has ever been a GM in the past 30 years that had a tenure that Wade did w/o sniffing the postseason.

They need to get back on track soon.
                                        collecting various PSA and SGC cards