Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this 1894 Indian Head Repunched date any thing significant?

jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
Tonight one of our members asked me to submit this 1894 Indian head, he purchased it thinking it was the 1894 Double die. I told him it looked like it was a re-punched date , a neat one, but thats all it was. He was a bit distrought after I informed him of that, and he wanted me to double check for sure, so I told him I would post it on the forum for opinions. Can someone provide me some info, if this is correct and if so , would there be any premium for a re-punch such as this coin. The re-punching is neat and significantly visible to the northeast of the 9 & 4. Thanks

The coin grades Good-6imageimage

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    got this message from a friend when I emailed your thread to him......

it sounds like the 1894/1894(ne), but I can't really tell from these scans. Does it meet the other criteria?

Look for a die scratch at 7:00 on the Obverse, should go all of the way through the U in UNITED STATES in the early die stage.

Reverse die lines under wreath and CENT. die Stage B has large crack at 10:30 later state progresses back to 9:00. stage C cud along die crack.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's definitely the good one (FS-011). Better pictures are unnecessary. Heritage sold a PCGS G4 a year ago for $103.50 (they also sold an ANACS G4 six months earlier for $15, but we won't think about that).

I don't really believe in slabbing $100 coins, but I'm clearly in the minority.

jonathan
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one that sold on eBay for $33 in G, with a much better picture of the repunched date if anyone cares. There are a bunch of others in eBay's completed items.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Folks, thats it!

jim
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    I just cherried one of these in about Fine for $8 at the Grapevine texas show today!
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options
    Oh man I forgot the show was today. Seems like I missed a good one.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is one I just sold in PCGS VG8, is realized almost $90. The pics aren't working right now, but if it is problem free it could be worth the cost of an economy submission.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    It is a nice coin. I have decided to start cherying every variety in the cherry pickers guide! I wish i had not sold a few but we shall see how far I can go.
  • Options
    Here are some pics of my latest two finds.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file