Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Mint Reprices Proof Gold Sets @ $1,575/set Today

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
Original price earlier this year was $1,350/set. New level is roughly a 17% increase. Coins are prices at about $851/oz. today. Current market for Proof Gold (and neat earlier dates as well) is well below that level. So, what now - does demand shrink considerably and we start to wonder whether 2006 Proof Gold may turn out to be a super low mintage product by this time next year? Or, will collectors continue to pay up for it? Thoughts?

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    Interesting that they actually adjusted the prices. I can't recall if they have done that before have they?

Well, personally with the prices as high as they are I have to pass on them. At this point in my numismatic collecting, the bullion is just way to expensive for me to collect. I will not be buying any of the bullion products save for the silver. I could see this becoming a lower mintage product for sure, JMHO.
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    I know this has made my decision on the Gold Buffalo somewhat easier. I was very high on the GB but my enthusiasm has waned in the last two weeks. I dont know what the prices will be but it has to be over 1K per coin. If someone were to collect the three finishes then that is $3K. I am leaning towards a pass on these. As for the GAE I think the mint will end up with some excess there wont be a sellout I dont think. JQ Public might buy but I dont think collectors will shell out the juice just to have them, especially if they dont have a complete set already.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options

<< <i>I know this has made my decision on the Gold Buffalo somewhat easier. I was very high on the GB but my enthusiasm has waned in the last two weeks. I dont know what the prices will be but it has to be over 1K per coin. If someone were to collect the three finishes then that is $3K. I am leaning towards a pass on these. As for the GAE I think the mint will end up with some excess there wont be a sellout I dont think. JQ Public might buy but I dont think collectors will shell out the juice just to have them, especially if they dont have a complete set already. >>

Yeah true, and the more I wait to collect these the less I want to. Being a student I missed out on a lot of these types of things. Now with prices what they are, for me to get into plat or gold is not realistic.