Home Metal Detecting

A smorgasborg of Wheats and some silver

Did I spell smorgasborg right ?
Went over to my aunts house today to mow the lawn, and it was a bear from all the rain sheesh. Anyways did a bit of detecting, and in the middle of the yard is an area now used for fallen branches and junk. It used to be a fire pit, so I started probing around there.
Starting finding wheats like they were going out of style, so I cleared out the area a bit, and found more. I knew it was a matter of time before I struck silver, and sure enough I did.
Ended up with 11 wheats from the 40's and 50's, and two silver dimes, one Canadian, this in about half an hour.
This area is mostly sand, kind of a sand/dirt mix, and you couldn't even cut a plug, it just falls apart.
In other words, digging couldn't be any easier. Only bad thing is the silica tends to yuck up copper more so than average soil. This was an area only about 10x8 or so, so this is defenetly a hot spot.
I found all the easy ones, so next time I'll clear the area properly, get all the branches outta the way, bring my gas weed whacker and shovel out some of the old coals, and dig everything there.
Also found this brass or copper thing, don't now what kinda ornament it is.

JJ

Comments

• sweet... great work!!!
  • Really sweet finds, JJ. Gotta love those silver coins.
  • sweet congrats
    Love them busts!
    I am Looking to Buy California Tokens too.
  • nice!
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Nice work!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Nice honeyhole you found there.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Nice finds!

I'll be the smartass to point out the spelling of "smorgasbord".
    This is Swedish and the direct translation is "table of sandwiches". JJ69's version with a "g" at the end would be a "Fort of sandwiches" image
    I've always been amazed that such a cumbersome word has become international and taken on the meaning that is has image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087

<< <i>get all the branches outta the way, bring my gas weed whacker and shovel out some of the old coals >>

Sounds like work. What a nice nephewimage
    Nice finds!!