Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Tons of editorializing, rants againt slabbing companies (and even a swipe at Stacks)- you HAVE to ge

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
Being a member of the EAC, I received the Evan L. Kopald Fixed Price List of Large Cents. First, this is not your typical fixed price list. It is an actual catalog with glossy pages and pictures in the format of a traditional catalog, similar to an ANR or Heritage emmission. However, that is where the similarities end. I knew I was in store for a wild ride when the cover of the catalog indicated that it was presented with "notes and digressions". The catalog is written entirely by the consignor, complete with atrocious grammar and misspellings. However, the prices were set by Chris McCawley and the die states provided by Bob Grellman. Not only does the consignor describe the coins, but he also goes on tangents about a whole series of topics and frequently prints rants about whatever he sees fit (think J. Peterman from the Seinfeld episodes). Here are some of my favorites:

1. The consignor provides a nice description of a 1795 large cent, S-78. Then he tears into a rant about the Red Book as follows-- "The restrikes of 1804, 1823 ... shouldn't be listed in A Guide Book of United States Coins. In the 1986 edition of this book, referred to as the Redbook, before it fell to the commonality of adding commercials to its pages, compromising its standing of a book which could not be influenced by advertisers (the 39th edition had merely a mention of the ANA and its slogan "An Investment in Knowledge", while the 59th Edition, 2006 has no fewer than five full advertising pages, as well as a full page advertisement for ANACS, but not as a small institutional announcement, but a full page with two real smiley faces holding aloft two coins, both coins being too small to decipher, one fellow's shirt bearing vertical stripes, whiel the other fellow horizontal stripes, featuring a "special offer for Redbook readers" and a free "All About ANACS information package", all of this a far cry from a book that once relied on collectors services, illustrating the corrupting power of money and a capitalistic economic system gone awry". [Kopald continues his rant with a comment on the "values" put on old Redbooks and their collectibility by saying, "It makes one wonder how long it will be before this narcissistic anomaly will fall prey to the slabber's plastic"]/

2. Describing the 1838 N-4, he mentions that the coin comes with a small Stacks store card marked "C. abt. UNC." He then states, "This is the exact terminology used by Stack's to this day, unable to get into the latest style of fashion, preferring to cling to pill box hats and bell bottoms, applying vestiges of coin grading before numbers were assigned. This stodgy, venerable outfit still uses terms of dubious nature such as "Very Choice Brilliant Uncirculated", "Superb Gen Brilliant Uncirculated" ... What the hell do these terms mean? The captain will go down with the ship!"

Throughout the catalog there are tons of other swipes at the slabbing companies and coin dealers. The catalog reads like a trashy novel, and it is riveting. I suggest if you want to see a great large cent collection, and be entertained at teh same time, you should read this catalog! I wonder what a classy guy, such as QDB or one of the other patriarchs of the numismatic world, think of this type of catalog!
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL

How do I get a copy? I'm an EAC member.
  • Options

<< <i>LOL

How do I get a copy? I'm an EAC member. >>

I sent an email to Chris McCawley. I am not sure if members get it automatically or if you have to ask. It is worth the purchase price, even if someone is not an EAC member!
  • Options
    Wow. That seems like an intersting catalog to read. Very funny from what you have posted. I didnt know that they let the consignors describe their own coins. Isnt that what the auction company is for?
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When knowledgable collectors say what they really think with zero regard for retribution, the results are generally entertaining image
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I told Evan his catalogue is like my dream come true -- an unexpurgated take on coins and the industry. I loved reading it, and if you knew Evan you'd get even more of a kick out of it!

Of course, if everyone did what he did, I'd be out of a job. Either that or I'd have to become a coin dealer. Yikes!
  • Options
    I had my doubts about this when I first opened the catalog and read Chris' disclaimer - but's it's really a masterpiece (dispite bad grammer, statements and phrases that leave you wondering, and all ) within the context of the intent of the effort - to allow a collector to write about his coins and how he feels about them. Kolpald assigns his own grades and CVM assigns his grades, upon which the prices are based. Kopald will draw you in with this effort.

Evan was at the convention, at Chris McCawley's table, promoting his FPL, signing catalogs - his collection was there too. It's a very nice effort done in typical CVM style with nice B&W photos, 1-3 coins per page -3 50 pages. Where the author's pen flowed, less coins per page resulted. An extremely entertaining endeavor and a first of it's kind in my memory.

Write, e-mail or call Chris for a copy. I think he asks for $5 to cover postage, but may send it upon request.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2. Describing the 1838 N-4, he mentions that the coin comes with a small Stacks store card marked "C. abt. UNC." He then states, "This is the exact terminology used by Stack's to this day, unable to get into the latest style of fashion, preferring to cling to pill box hats and bell bottoms, applying vestiges of coin grading before numbers were assigned. This stodgy, venerable outfit still uses terms of dubious nature such as "Very Choice Brilliant Uncirculated", "Superb Gen Brilliant Uncirculated" ... What the hell do these terms mean? The captain will go down with the ship!" >>

Isn't it odd that an EACer would rant about someone else's grading being behind the times.....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kopald continues his rant with a comment on the "values" put on old Redbooks and their collectibility by saying, "It makes one wonder how long it will be before this narcissistic anomaly will fall prey to the slabber's plastic"]/ >>

Where has Kopald and the rest of you been?

Here is a 1999 Red Book already slabbed in plastic years ago!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    When knowledgable collectors say what they really think with zero regard for retribution, the results are generally entertaining

I completely agree!
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    alfalfaalfalfa Posts: 275 ✭✭
    "Write, e-mail or call Chris for a copy. I think he asks for $5 to cover postage, but may send it upon request. "

I'm not an EAC member, but would be interested in receiving a copy of the catalog. Could someone please PM me contact info for "Chris?"

RJ
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    www.earlycents.com has what you need.
  • Options
    alfalfaalfalfa Posts: 275 ✭✭
    Thanks!

RJ
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I laughed the whole way through. I think more serious collectors should be allowed to catalogue their own collections.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    Bump for RTS's benefit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji