Home Sports Talk
Options

Top 10 Unbreakable Sports Records

Comments

• Options
    Wow--I feel only three or four of those are truly unbreakable--Cy Young's record of 511 wins should be #1. No one will even come close to 400 wins. I think Wilt's record of 100 points in a game is pretty unbreakable, as is Marciano's 49-0 record and Wooden's 88 straight wins. Other than those, I think everything else on the list could be broken in the next 50 years.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow--I feel only three or four of those are truly unbreakable--Cy Young's record of 511 wins should be #1. No one will even come close to 400 wins. I think Wilt's record of 100 points in a game is pretty unbreakable, as is Marciano's 49-0 record and Wooden's 88 straight wins. Other than those, I think everything else on the list could be broken in the next 50 years. >>

I think that Cobb's lifetime avg won't be broken any time soon unless the game goes through a major modification away from the home run and back to what it was early in the last century. Hitting under .330 can regularly put you in contention for a batting title. Probably the closest anyone has come recently to being the type of player would Boggs or Gwynn, and they were still 30 points behind Cobb.
    Travis
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I would think Ty Cobb's record for stealing home (I think it was 60 something times?) is probably pretty safe as well.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Couple more that MIGHT be unbreakable:

Brett Favre's consecutive game starts (how many is that anyway?) image

Lance Armstrong's 6 consecutive Tour de France wins.
  • Options
    Most seasons with one team. I think Yastremski and maybe Brooks Robinson may hold this record not sure and too lazy too look up. In these days of free agency do not see this being broken.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    It sometimes seems silly to me to compare records like these across eras of sports where rules have changed, the player have changed and the facilities have changed.

Baseball used to have ground rule triples. It no longer does. I'm pretty confident no one is going to hit 36 triples in baseball ever again - but the rules and the facilities that allowed that to happen by Chief Wilson in 1912 are no longer applicable today. So to me it is a somewhat silly record to consider.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    nobody will ever get 511 wins or steal home 60 times. Before Kobe went off this yr I didnt think anyone would break Wilts 100, but Im not to sure anymore. Another one I thought of not on the list was Johnny Vander Meer's two consecutive no hitters. In todays game it will be tough to see two straight complete games, nevermind no hitters !
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>Couple more that MIGHT be unbreakable:

Lance Armstrong's 6 consecutive Tour de France wins. >>

Hold everything----- it was 7 consecutive Tour de France wins for Lance!!!!.
  • Options

<< <i>It sometimes seems silly to me to compare records like these across eras of sports where rules have changed, the player have changed and the facilities have changed.

Baseball used to have ground rule triples. It no longer does. I'm pretty confident no one is going to hit 36 triples in baseball ever again - but the rules and the facilities that allowed that to happen by Chief Wilson in 1912 are no longer applicable today. So to me it is a somewhat silly record to consider. >>

Forget steroids for a moment. How much would the varying sizes of baseball parks affect the home
    run record(s) ? If not all ballparks are of the same dimensions what does the record really mean?
  • Options

<< <i>
    Forget steroids for a moment. How much would the varying sizes of baseball parks affect the home
    run record(s) ? If not all ballparks are of the same dimensions what does the record really mean? >>

Too tough to analyze, at least in a meaningful way. You have so many issues variables, that it is difficult to gauge a 'true' indicator:

A) Length of Ballparks [e.g. how far from home plate]

B) Size of Outfield Wall [e.g. Green Monster]

C) Wind Speed and Direction

D) Length of Home Run. If it was a 500 foot blast - it really isn't going to matter if it is a long/short ballpark, or a high/short wall....

E) How high compared to sea level [e.g. Denver]

And there is not enough data, especially historically, to really make these judgments. All that said - there are comparative metrics for relative number of home runs per park, etc., home/road totals, and one can at least make some quick qualitative judgments on whose home run numbers have been hurt or helped by ballparks...

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget about Tiger Woods' 7 consecutive years of making cuts.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cy Young's 511 victories is absolutely impossible, the game now just wouldn't allow it, I believe a pitcher would have to play for 30 years to break it or just get insane run support EVERY outing for 15 plus years. Records like Armstrongs 7 tour wins, Wilts 100 point records are athletic feats and that being said I believe there is always someone stronger, faster ect.. so IMO are breakable.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    10. Rocky Marciano - I think this record could be broken. A guy like Mike Tyson could have done it if he kept his head screwed on straight. I still think that Mike Tyson in his prime was the best fighter ever. Boxing is due for another superstar soon.

9. Michael Schumacher - I know nothing about this sport, so who knows

8. Ty Cobb - I don't see this being broken, at least not in my life. There have been some incredible pure hitting machines in the last 80 years and nobody has done it yet.

7. Nolan Ryan - This could be broken. Find a 16 year old coming out of the Dominican Republic throwing 90 MPH and he would have a chance at that record in his life.

6. Wayne Gretzky - Wow, this is one I don't see being broken either. Even a "Phenom" like Crosby has no chance at this.

5. Wilt Chamberlain - Could it be broken, maybe, I doubt it, but maybe. Unlike other some other records, people have actually come semi close to this record and I could see it happening one day. A team with the worst defense ever playing a Jordanesque superstar having a career day. It could happen.

4. John Wooden - don't care, I can't get into college hoops without losing interest after 10 minutes

3. Cy Young - I think this has to be the toughest of all records. With todays game though, players aren't even given a chance to break it so no, it will never be broken, no matter what.

2. Jerry Rice - This will be broken, no doubt. Athlete's body are turning more and more into machines now and in the future. Player will get faster and stronger as the years go. This one is just a matter of time.

1. Cal Ripken - I think this could be broken also. Many players don't even try but if someone gets up in the 1500 game range on accident, I think they would make a serious effort at that point to play every game. The only thing bigger than Athlete's paychecks is there ego's and if they have a chance at infamy, they will try.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    The ones I see as most likely to never be broken:

Cobb's Career BA. .366 is a career year now, not a career.
    Ryan's 7 No Hitters. Pitchers aren't even throwing complete games, let alone no hitters.
    Young's 511 wins. In this era of 35 starts a year, and 20 games being a big deal, this one will never be broken.
    Ripken's games played streak. Players make far too much money to be played every single day for so many years.

One I'd add in:

Rose's 4256 hits. 3000 hits is a historic achievement, throw on another 1200+ hits. Unreal.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    The 2 consecutive no-hitters was put forth in a prior post, that would be VERY hard to pass, one would have to pitch three straight no-hit games. As pointed out before, three straight shoutouts or even three straight complete games is not too common today.

No mention of the 56 game hitting streak, I think only Paul Molitor had over 40 on the last 30 or so years.

Also, in Wilt's rookie NBA season he set the all-time scoring average.He broke it several times as well in later years. I think it will never ever happen that a rookie in a major professional team sport, baseball basketball, football, or hockey, will set an all-time scoring record. Not just be a rookie who is good enough to merely lead the sport, batting champ, rushing leader or such, BUT... set the all-time mark in first first pro season. No one will ever do that again, for sure.

Wilt's 100 points in a single game, or his 50.4 points per game AVERAGE scoring record for a season, or his 48.2 minutes per game playing time record for a season, are all likely to last a long long time and are worthy of any top ten list.

A note on the minutes played record; an NBA game is 48 minutes long. One season Wilt played evry minute of every regular game, and every minute of every game that went into overtime, AND of course therefore NEVER fouled out of a single game.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that is incredible about Wilt playing every second of EVERY game in a season, I did not know that. A player could conceivably do that barring injury.
  • Options
    Getting technical, but I would think it'd be best to have 2 categories.

Unbreakable single season records
    And unbreakable lifetime records.

I think Sports Illustrated's #1 about 10 years ago was Glen Hall's consecutive goalie streak at 502 games.

Apparently nobody even gets close to 20 or so anymore.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    How about most starts in a season by a pitcher? The record is 75 games. Noone from the 20th or 21st century cracks the top 100. This is one of those insignificant stats that will never be broken.

I also thought someone save like 119 games one year, but I can't find the record.

Don
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    How about the Detroit Lions ability, to draft 3 high profile WRs, in three straight drafts, and turning them into lesser than average players!!!! Do not think too many teams can beat that record!!!!
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    One record that will never be broken goes to Dave Schultz of the Flyers during the 75-75 season... 472 penalty minutes in a season...

With the rule changes in the NHL, players are no longer able to rack up 20-30+ minutes of penalties in a single game... they are automatically ejected after 3 majors. That record will stand forever.

• Options

<< <i>How about the Detroit Lions ability, to draft 3 high profile WRs, in three straight drafts, and turning them into lesser than average players!!!! Do not think too many teams can beat that record!!!! >>

Speaking of the Lions...... how about longest number of years in the NFL with a totally worthless coach?

8 years of Wayne Fontes? Anyone else close to that record? image
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>10. Rocky Marciano - I think this record could be broken. A guy like Mike Tyson could have done it if he kept his head screwed on straight. I still think that Mike Tyson in his prime was the best fighter ever. Boxing is due for another superstar soon. >>

i dunno, i guess the record could be broken, but as much as i hate to say it, i dont see pure boxing gaining any more popularity..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>7. Nolan Ryan - This could be broken. Find a 16 year old coming out of the Dominican Republic throwing 90 MPH and he would have a chance at that record in his life. >>

Problem is, he will really be 21 image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    I don't forsee anyone passing Pete Rose as the All Time Hits leader!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How about the Detroit Lions ability, to draft 3 high profile WRs, in three straight drafts, and turning them into lesser than average players!!!! Do not think too many teams can beat that record!!!! >>

Speaking of the Lions...... how about longest number of years in the NFL with a totally worthless coach?

8 years of Wayne Fontes? Anyone else close to that record? image >>

To answer your question, no-- I don't think anyone as inept as Wayne Fontes has ever coached the same team in the NFL for eight consecutive years.

The Lions consecutive years record would actually extend all the way back to the Darryl Rogers era if it weren't for Bobby Ross' short stop here.
  • Options

<< <i>It sometimes seems silly to me to compare records like these across eras of sports where rules have changed, the player have changed and the facilities have changed.

Baseball used to have ground rule triples. It no longer does. I'm pretty confident no one is going to hit 36 triples in baseball ever again - but the rules and the facilities that allowed that to happen by Chief Wilson in 1912 are no longer applicable today. So to me it is a somewhat silly record to consider. >>

True, but it's no more silly than 90% of sports related conversations that take place.

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Speaking of 'ground rule' triples, was watching the espn sunday night game, when he correctly referred to a ball bouncing over the outfield wall as an 'automatic' double and not a 'ground rule' double. So many people get that wrong.

• Options
    JrMacdaddyJrMacdaddy Posts: 506 ✭✭

<< <i>Brett Favre's consecutive game starts (how many is that anyway?) >>

Give me a call when he breaks the real record of 282 consecutive starts set by Jim Marshall. I believe PB is only at 223 or so. Another 4 seasons to go.

(PB= Precious Brett)
  • Options

<< <i>To answer your question, no-- I don't think anyone as inept as Wayne Fontes has ever coached the same team in the NFL for eight consecutive years.

The Lions consecutive years record would actually extend all the way back to the Darryl Rogers era if it weren't for Bobby Ross' short stop here. >>

Friends and I still argue about Wayne Fontes, all I can say to them is, "are we any better off since Wayne left?" The answer is no, I do not see an end to the dismal team which is the Lions, anytime in the near future. When players file a grievance about minicamps being too tough, kinda tells one about how the team is and thinks!!!! At least there is a possibility that Harrington plays Detroit on Thanksgiving, and that is the ONLY thing I will look forward to, other than that, bring back the "Drunken Lions' Fans," at least that brought some comical relief!!!!
  • Options
    No one will ever break Wayne Gretzky's point record of 2857.
  • Options

<< <i>No one will ever break Wayne Gretzky's point record of 2857. >>

3 years ago, I would have said the same thing, but in this new age of hockey, I am not fully certain. Joe Thornton had 125 points this year, on that pace, it would take just under 23 years. Not too many players can last that long, but this was the 1st year with the new rules, and I am sure the new crop of young bucks can easily attain the 150 mark when they have more experience. I am not saying it will happen, but it is again, a goal scorers league!!!!
  • Options
    Since players don't break in at 18, 19 or 20 as often as they used to, I don't think you have to worry about anyone playing for 18 or 19 years. Now throw on top of that averaging 150 points a year? Not going to happen.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>10. Rocky Marciano - I think this record could be broken. A guy like Mike Tyson could have done it if he kept his head screwed on straight. I still think that Mike Tyson in his prime was the best fighter ever. Boxing is due for another superstar soon. >>

i dunno, i guess the record could be broken, but as much as i hate to say it, i dont see pure boxing gaining any more popularity.. >>

Boxing is about as close to dead as it can be.

If you asked 100 people on the street to name the current heavyweight champion for any of the governing bodies
    I would be surprised if more than 2 people could do it. (that might be on the high side as well).
  • Options

<< <i>Boxing is about as close to dead as it can be.

If you asked 100 people on the street to name the current heavyweight champion for any of the governing bodies
    I would be surprised if more than 2 people could do it. (that might be on the high side as well). >>

I live in a little town called Orwell, OH. Don King has a big training facility here. He must own about a square mile of land and has no trespassing signs posted everywhere. Anyways, I see boxers running up and down the road all the time but I have no idea who they are. A few years back, I would have recognized a few possibly, not today though. I'll see the boxers come into the local stores around here all the time but I still don't know who they are, even up close.

He has these huge flag poles up that kind of form a semi circle (almost like a crown). People around here tell me that when a big time fighter comes to visit, he'll put up flags of about 15 different countries and light them up with huge spot lights. He did this about 3 months ago for about a week. It was really a sight to see, especially in the middle of the country. They tell me he used to do it a lot in the past whenever Mike Tyson would come there. I still haven't seen Don yet. He must avoid the public whenever possible.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walter Johnson had 113 career shut outs... if Clements did not beat that, it seems that record will be around for awhile

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I don't think no one will ever break Nolan Ryan's seven no-hitters.
  • Options
    I was at an Indians game today and my son was asking me why the runners never try to steal a base. That reminded me of this thread. Do you think anybody will ever beat Rickey Henderson's single season record (He still has it right?). Players are too bulky nowadays to steal much.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you think anybody will ever beat Rickey Henderson's single season record (He still has it right?). Players are too bulky nowadays to steal much. >>

good call.. 130 steals in a season is a record that should stand for a long time..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Here's one that will never be broken:

*Highest number of Tour De France Titles revoked.....

Lance Armstrong
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned earlier, Wilt playing in every second of every game and not fouling out. And when he did that they didn't have all of the timeouts that they have today. I don't think todays players bodies could handle that. How many of todays players could do that for just one game. How often is that actually done.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Frank Chesbro's 48 complete games in a single season achieved in 1904 (Will White had 75 CG's in 1879)... Roy Halladay is the current career leader with 66 and has NEVER even reached double digits in a single season. In fact, the last pitcher to even start 40 games was Charlie Hough in 1987...
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Couple more that MIGHT be unbreakable:

Lance Armstrong's 6 consecutive Tour de France wins. >>

You made a typo on that last sentence, that should read:

Lance Armstrong* and his seven* consecutive* Tour de France wins*. image He was officially stripped of those titles you know.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>
    You made a typo on that last sentence, that should read:

Lance Armstrong* and his seven* consecutive* Tour de France wins*. image He was officially stripped of those titles you know. >>

He still won them...and in a field of which everyone was doing the same things he was, so I think most people would consider it a level playing field.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    If he was officially stripped of those titles, then he didn't really win them at all. Just like how the so called 1993 Michigan "Fab Five" was stripped of its silver trophy that year and the NCAA made Michigan not only take down the banner but never again mention a peep about the Plagiarists (as I like to call them, as our 1948 NCAA Champs/Gold Medal team was the original, REAL "Fab Five") in any official publications.

If Lance didn't truly win them fair and square and he was officially stripped of his titles, then they're not real and don't really officially exist. Plain and simple.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Brett Favre's consecutive game starts (how many is that anyway?) >>

Give me a call when he breaks the real record of 282 consecutive starts set by Jim Marshall. I believe PB is only at 223 or so. Another 4 seasons to go.

(PB= Precious Brett) >>

well a little past the time. but this is priceless. not only did brett break the marshall record, he did it wearing the same uni. i bet you had a great big wet dream when he came to the vikes. too bad he stabbed you in the heart in the NFC Championship game with that INT. then you had to watch the Packers beat him twice, finally miss a start and then retire after the packers won SB45!!
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's