Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1878-CC Morgan - Die gouge under tail - really a scratch - UPDATE 7/26/06 - Graded at PCGS

These are the seller's photos. Look at the line under the eagle's tail feathers and through the bow.
Does it look like a die gouge/scratch? Anyone recognize the VAM?

Comments

• Options
    Cool...I like it!! image

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    Wowser. The only trouble is, you'll have to pay BU CC money for what might be a wild goose chase on a raw coin. That sure looks like a monster gouge, though.
    Proudly upholding derelict standards for five decades.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like the "Eagle taking a Crap" VAM image >>

I guess that's better than "speared through the butt".
  • Options
    very nice! let us know when the coin is in hand what is going on there
    steve

myCCset
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    WHOA! Now that is some hangnail!

Never saw it before and I am sure it is way significant (if it is a gouge).
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Looks like a lightning bolt flying out of his butt!

image Isn't there some kind of saying like that?

-----
    Proud Owner of
  • Options
    VamGuyVamGuy Posts: 1,624
    WOWimageimageimage

I sure hope that's a gouge. I'd would definitely have gambled on that photo too. image

<< <i>The only trouble is, you'll have to pay BU CC money for what might be a wild goose chase on a raw coin. >>

Since the coin really is B/U, and would likely 63 if there are no problems, it's a calculated risk. It's not like buying a 4 million dollar nickel. image

It's about the thrill of the hunt, it's about the pride in the cherrypicks, and it's about the wonder & excitement of discovery coins.
  • Options
    nesvtnesvt Posts: 2,214
    The coin arrived today. Unfortunately it's not a die gouge. It's a large scratch going from the eagle's tail almost all the way to the denticles. I took a gamble and lost.

I need some advice. This has happened to me before. I try to cherrypick something. It doesn't work out. I think all VAM collectors have been there. As long as the seller was honest in the listing, I keep the coin. I don't think it's right for me to try to get a deal, be wrong, and then make the seller pay for my gambling efforts. In all of my eBay purchases, I've only returned one coin... and that was because it was a different coin than pictured in the listing.

What do you think this coin would grade? The gouge on the reverse is deep and long. It has many hits on Liberty's face, big dent in her nose, lots of chatter in the fields, the rims are rough.
    I'm trying to be fair to myself and fair to the seller. For me, this is a large sum of money. Do I keep it? If you tell me yes, my nephew will be getting his first CC coin at Christmas. If you tell me no, I'll send it back. The seller has a 7 day return policy.

It's a VAM 2 by the way.

eBay listing

• Options
    return it! no way that would grade what he said and he should have mentioned the "grand canyon" on the reverse
    steve

myCCset
  • Options

<< <i>The coin arrived today. Unfortunately it's not a die gouge... >>

I'm sorry to hear that. image

It still is a "CC" coin, and there are others out there that collect those widgets.

I like you idea about giving it as a gift. Just as long as your nephew knows how to treat coins properly.

I once paid $183- for a 21D that didn't turn out to be what it should have been so I feel your pain...image

----
    EDITED FOR WRONG EMOTICON image

-----
    Proud Owner of
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    If you paid 20% or more over sheet, I certainly would return it. A VAM-2 is interesting with the nose chip but not rare and that dig is too distracting.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Remember this coin? My brother included it with a recent order using a free submission coupon. PCGS graded it MS63.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks a lot more like a strike-through than it does a scratch.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Way to go Norm, image you did good.

I like that nose chip, also.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks a lot more like a strike-through than it does a scratch. >>

I see a strike thru also. A scratch should have the displaced metal showing up somewhere.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    pretty large die scratch!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file