Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1996-W MS68FB Roosevelt

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
What has happened to this coin?

It was selling at $200, then went up to $975 for a short while, then went to around $300-$400 on any given auction.

Any future for this dime with a pop stuck at 100, and since there are now (5) MS69's, where is the ultimate MS69FB? Can/will one be made? Anyone sending any of thses in for grading still.

Man I have alot of questions.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It was selling at $200, then went up to $975 for a short while, then went to around $300-$400 on any given auction. >>

Paul I believe the ones who paid $500. and over will never, in their lifetime see any long term return on this coin. You can't say someone won't pay that kind of money again. You know what P.T. Barnum said about suckers.
    There have been more 1996-W dimes graded by PCGS that any other Roosevelt dime from the start of the series to the present. Low mintage you say? Sure, but they were all in mint sets, so they are very very easy to come by in high grades and FB's. It's going to take awhile to absorb this large number of coins. Unless Roosevelts become real hot real soon.
    And you can still find unopened boxs from the mint in sets of 5-50 with out much problem.
    A couple years ago there were 8 MS68FB's, last time I looked there were 100 and climbing.
    The pop in MS68 without bands, 434.. Then comes the 5 MS69's.
    If you want to include the 67's, it gets even worse. 882 in 67, .. 271 in 67FB.
    Total graded w/o bands, 2267
    Total graded w/b's, 570 .. Grand total so far...2837 and this is by PCGS alone. image
    Dan
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul,

I have 3 1996 mint sets left from 10 I bought a few years back and sold the other 7 before the FB was adopted by PCGS. Of the 3 sets left only 1 of the 1996W dimes had a fully rounded (side to side and no nicks) lower band and I felt it was worth sending in. Below is a link to the grade image

Ken

Freshly graded with pics!
  • Options
    Cointime,
    Thats a pretty solid submission. I wish I could get grades like that.

Nice score on the W.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Nice grades and good turn around time also. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Dan60,

Isn't it about time that you get ur hands on one of these?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Paul I'm waiting on the 69FB's to show up... image

Now for the serious answer, I figure with the pop climbing to 100, and prices have come down, I may get one soon.
    But as long as Nick has his dimes for sale, I rather have something from him than any 100 pop dime.
    If he hasent sold the 69-D by next week, I'm going to ask him for that.
    Then theres the 1975 to be found, and FB's there are not easy to find.
    And the 1983-D that I can't seem to corner.
    The 98-DFB, the 68FB, the quest for business strikes for 05/06. Always something pulling me away from the 96W, besides my 67FB I made myself. And of the 5 I've had, it's by far the best high end 67FB of the bunch.
    I still have three or four that should go 65FB and some 66FB. About time to sub. them and toss their sells toward a 68FB I guess.
    Dan
  • Options
    Nick has/had a 1978-D MS65FB, I wonder if he sold it and if so who bought it. image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    OH I'm sure it's around somewhere. image
    Dan