Home Sports Talk
Options

Doug Flutie retired today

How would you rate his NFL career?

I would say he was talented but uneven at best.

He had better success in the CFL of course.

Comments

• Options
    Had he had the opportunity to start in the NFL in the beginning of his career through his growth and development as a player he would've been held in higher regard imo. A first rate, class act no doubt. Didn't get a fair shake in the big show until his career was in a decline. But all in all, a great player.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    As a football player, Flutie had more success than most. As an NFL player, he had flashes of brilliance. I think he was molded for the CFL and showed how great of a football player he was up there.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flutie is a hometown favorite and is loved for the play against Miami, he packed a lot of talent in his small frame and had a great CFL career, I dont think he would have lasted that long in the NFL though. Great guy and the best to him and his fight against autism.
  • Options

<< <i>Didn't get a fair shake in the big show until his career was in a decline. >>

exactly

If the Raiders or Lions (my fav two teams) would've grabbed him early and stuck with him for years, they would have been better off. How can this be obvious to us, but not to team scouts? Heck, I wouldn't be upset if suited up for the Raiders next season.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Didn't get a fair shake in the big show until his career was in a decline.

exactly

>>

yup
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Didn't get a fair shake in the big show until his career was in a decline. >>

exactly

If the Raiders or Lions (my fav two teams) would've grabbed him early and stuck with him for years, they would have been better off. How can this be obvious to us, but not to team scouts? Heck, I wouldn't be upset if suited up for the Raiders next season. >>

Scouts aren't the smartest cats in the business. Me personally, I never played a down for my H.S. team. Yet, I was offered spots on 4 local college teams. Literally I just went to FB camps held at colleges for High Schoolers. None of them knew I didn't play, but I was pulled aside at every camp. I was even offered to change local high schools to accomodate a spot for me. Well, since I can't afford a 4 year school I'm basically twidling my thumbs. Now I'm looking to try out for the AFL this fall; it'll help quicken my reads and releases on my passes. I'm only 20; but it seems that will be an easier route for exposure than no matter what I do on a Division III or II local school. Eh, I'm in better shape than I've ever been; and I've grown about 5 inches since HS and lost roughly 80 pounds. Who knows.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Happy birthday Doug!
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious why years-old threads are getting resurrected

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just curious why years-old threads are getting resurrected >>

Because that's how greencrow rolls.

Freaking Flutie was the man.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Just curious why years-old threads are getting resurrected >>

I know its quite annoying.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    still remember Flutie to Phelan! Best football game I ever watched.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Last player to attempt and succeed at using the drop kick for the extra point.
    Good for you.