Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Complete Dime Sets

I have been seeing the complete dime set guys having a ball putting their sets together. I wouldn't be able to compete grade wise with them, but I could sure start giving them a run on completeness. Being just a 'coin a month' type of collector, I find it hard to justify having my coins graded. However, I would like to compete in a set registry also. I realize the older dimes I have would probably not even grade Fine, I was wondering if their was a program where I could send in all of my dimes at once to be graded, and I would add them to the registry. Doing this at one time would be financially impossible, to say the least. And holdering costs would far exceed the value of most of the coins. LOL, I guess what I'm trying to ask if there is a 'Break' in holdering fees for lower grade coins for lower grade collectors.

Comments

• DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    grrr...wrong forum...thank you whoever invented copy and paste image
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you are in the wrong forum. But I can tell you I don't know of any break for grading. You can do what I been doing and that is doing a few at a time. Pick out the ones you think will grade and go from there.

Most of my early dates and key dates will also be lower grade.

We welcome you to the group if you decide to go for it.

Jon
  • Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    If you are talking registry set, then this is the right place.
    But no I don't think you will get a discount because the coins are of a lower grade.
    Costs for shipping to and from, and cost for their time to look at and grade is the same for all grade coins.
    The set you mentioned is a VERY LARGE set to begin with.
    But we would love to have you start one in the Roosie clad circulation strike 65 to present.
    You would be supprised how helpful other collectors can be.

I'll even toss a couple free PCGS coins your way to get you started. They won't be any big buck coins, because I to can hardly afford to keep myself in this hobby. But this will keep you from starting at the bottom. The catch is, someday when you are better off and can, you return the favor by helping someone else get their start.
    Let me know your answer... Dan.
    Dan
    Well, I started the collection awhile ago. Just getting good looking coins from banks and such every year, and buying affordable(to me) pieces here and there. My Roosevelt Dimes are complete, Mercury Dimes is missing the 16-d(of course), Missing 12-13 barbers, Have a few seateds...all Raw, and I doubt there's a FB in the bunch. lol. It's just everytime I look and see how many coins I could get graded, I remember I have to be a member first, and that costs too. Then I usually end up just buying more coins instead image

I suppose this was the right forum, kinda. I put it in the Q&A forum too, where I wanted it the first time.

As an added note, It's a game plan I came up with some time ago. Collecting coins in what ever I could afford, going for complete date and mintmark sets. I figured when I got old and retired, I would have time to study and upgrade, but at least I would always have complete sets. image

Hence 'Cavus Impleor'.....close I could get in Latin to 'Hole Filler' image
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DrizzT You are certainly in the right forum as mentioned here by Dan50, and DimeMan.

We would like to see you send in your coins and join with us on whatever set registry you like. It doesn't matter what your coins grade at, just as long as you are happy...and you remain at the bottom of the ratings! image

Seriously, I have a couple of Seated dimes in right now at the graders and sent them in for a few reasons. I need them for my set and I like them for the coins they are. I sent in the following dimes and I am waiting for results:

1853 W/Arrows
    1876-CC
    1877-CC
    1912-D
    1914-D
    1953 FB's?
    1964-D Nicely toned Kennedy!

Some of the early stuff will grade low and I accept that, because I will have made them myself and it makes me happy. image <----see how happy I am!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
    image yes....I have to come up with some kind of PCGS payment plan..lol

Perhaps they could be my children?

'I have to pay support for my daughters, Barb and Libby' image
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Drizzt - The registry is a brilliant marketing concept by PCGS. Don't fall for it. Spend your money on coins, not plastic. I have no problem slabbing pricey coins, but slabbing inexpensive coins just for the sake of slabbing them is silly, in my opinion. Complete sets for your own enjoyment, not to compete with the Joneses. BTW, I had a complete dime set myself (1796-1964), and after completing it, sold all but the Bust and Seated sets.