Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who needs a stinkin' 1913 Liberty Nickel, when you can have a MOOSE 1786 Immunis Columbia, Large Eag

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
The gentlemen at Coin Rarities always have some nice eye candy available. Most items I can never afford. However, I really like looking at the site because they always have some nice numismatic treasures for your viewing pleasure. Attached below is a link to an absolute moose of a coin. Again, I "don't do colonials", but this coin seems amazing and it is truly a great rarity. I also almost fell off of my chair when I saw how dirt cheap this rarity is selling for. Does anyone know:

(1) Are there generally similar "values" to be had in the colonial area, as compared to traditional federal coinage?
(2) I consider myself a somewhat knowledgable collector. However, I never heard of this coin before, and it is certainly surprising, given its rarity. What can be done to bring colonials more into the mainstream?
(3) Does anyone know if Garrett and/or Norweb sought out this coin for their collections?
(4) What exactly is a "speculative pattern"?

Here is the description:

1786 Immunis Columbia, Large Eagle

AU55 [NGC] Dr. Maris - Ford

Breen 1135. Rarity-8, with just three examples known and, as such, one of the rarest and most desireable coins in the early American series.

Interestingly, Walter Breen and all past catalogers have incorrectly described this type as having just two known examples, but our research confirms three.

Believed to be a 'Speculative Pattern' for US coinage and so categorized in the 2007 Redbook on page 54 alongside other related and legendary issues.

Unknown to Sylvester Crosby and therefore unlisted in his seminal reference 'The Early Coins of America' published in 1875. This very coin was the actual discovery coin for this type, having been identified by Dr. Edward Maris (of New Jersey state coinage fame) in 1885, and later sold as part of the famed Maris collection in 1886.

Missing from the National Numismatic Collection and the Garrett and Norweb collections, the only other specimens known are as follows:
Stack's John Roper collection sale, December 1983, Lot #213.
Bowers and Merena's Frederick Taylor collection sale, March 1987, Lot #2095 (and plated on the cover of the catalog).
In both instances, the 1786 Immunis Columbia Large Eagle was among the most sought after and expensive items in the auction. The $33,000 price realized in the Taylor sale was the single highest price of any early American item in that important offering, with a 1792 Half Disme described as Choice AU55 bringing just $17,600 and an exceedingly rare Choice VF Sommer Islands Sixpence bringing a modest $7,150 in the same sale.

This specimen is a lovely, original golden tan with some natural darker areas, struck on a broad and smooth planchet. There is a bit of flatness on the high points of the design, which is a result of the shallow relief of the original dies. It is important to note that these coins were struck as patterns to assess the design 'in the coin' and as such some striking inconsistency is perhaps not unexpected.

Stack's described this coin as 'Choice Very Fine' when it was offered as part of the Ford collection a couple of years ago, while NGC has conferred the grade of AU55. We would favor a grade somewhere between the two, perhaps at the level of Choice Extremely Fine.

Regardless of the grade assigned, this is an undeniably rare and historic issue and quite possibly the only opportunity for a collector to acquire a specimen of this type.

Ex-Dr.Edward Maris, June 21, 1886, Lot #501, Elmer Sears, Hillyer Ryder, F.C.C. Boyd, Stack's sale of the John Ford collection, May 2004, Lot #289.

Colonial Rarity

image[/url][/IMG]

image[/url][/IMG]
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    Does any one know what this one (1786 immunis columbia above) last sold for and the date sold?
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Longacre,

Check your link... it can't be the coin you're referring too... In fact, I can't find the coin on the website.

Hope this helps!

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options

<< <i>Longacre,

Check your link... it can't be the coin you're referring too... In fact, I can't find the coin on the website.

Hope this helps!

Steve >>

Longacre's link is from 2006 - the coin is long gone now.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Longacre,

Hope this helps!

Steve >>

Longacre's link is from 2006 - the coin is long gone now. >>

So you can't deliver the coin that Longacre describes for the price in the link? imageimage
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    >>Longacre's link is from 2006 - the coin is long gone now>>

so, it's on backorder?? image

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Where's the moose?
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Who bumped this Longacre Classic thread?? image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I gotta start learning to look at the date of posting...

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I gotta start learning to look at the date of posting...

Steve >>

Uhh...yeah. I was getting worked up into a frothy frenzy (or whatever it is Longacre usually says) and was reaching for the phone to call CRO....then I saw the date of the OP.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's too bad more dealers don't work that hard to explain the importance of their offerings. If they did, it might help create some new collectors.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file