Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fake Morgan?

What are some ways to tell if a Morgan is fake? I have 2 that are a lot more shinny than the rest in my collection. One has some gold coloring coming through some scratches on the reverse breast. Unfortunately I can’t get the shine to show well on my pics any setting changes would be appreciated too. I’m hoping that they are PL but haven’t seen any examples of plan PL. Can someone please post an example of a PL not DMPL? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    The coin appears circulated and might be shiny from being cleaned. Doesn't look prooflike to me. Not sure what the gold stuff is, maybe it was dipped in coin cleaner that had previously been used to clean gold coins or maybe it was plated at one time and then polished off or something. The fake morgans I have seen are grayish in color, sort of look like Pewter. Here is a pic of a fake one
  • Options
    TY, nice to know it's not a fake.
  • Options
    jdsinvajdsinva Posts: 1,508
    It may have been a former jewelry or belt buckle piece with some glue residue left over. . .
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old post... I know, but how can you tell this is a fake Morgan? Is it obvious; or do you have to weigh it? Just trying to learn as these are my preferred 90% purchases from my local dealer. I would hope he would have done that before he purchased them..but who knows?
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pcgs has a great book concerning grading and counterfeit detection
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks fake to me.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks fake to me. >>

Agreed. VERY MUCH a fake. Doesn't look right at all.

-Paul
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    funky looking date and portions of the rim appear rounded.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Give it a ring test, that will likely tell.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    The coin in the second post of this thread is an obvious fake. The coin in question, however, has been deleted from the first post. The post of the second message even stated his coin was a fake, to which even a novice should be able to determine.

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odd date to fake (poorly).

Why not try a 96-S?
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file