Home Sports Talk
Options

Bernie Williams

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
Threw his batting helemt at an ump. If the helmet had hit the ump would he have been suspended 50 games???? image

Comments

• Options
    Writer11Writer11 Posts: 738
    I was thinking the same thing.

I think Bernie is a class act, but that wasn't pretty last night.

Funny how a 20-year-old kid (Delmon Young) is condemned for doing something in the heat of the moment, but hardly a peep about a major league veteran who should know better?

Don't get me wrong, I love Bernie, but his actions last night did make me think.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Big difference in what the two did, and it doesnt surprise me in the least that comparisons are being made considering the anti NY and anti Yankee sentiment on these boards. Young TURNED and threw his bat intentionally at the umpire, striking him. Bernie tossed his helmet backward to make a point, and maybe even show up the ump, but he had no view of the umpire, and certainly couldnt have predicted the umpire would be walking up the 1st baseline when he threw it. I am not condoning what Bernie did, but please folks, get real and stop comparing two things that are clearly not the same.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Writer11Writer11 Posts: 738
    bri2327,

You're right, I know that. There's no comparison really in the magnitude of the offense.

I guess my point is, not so much the Bernie incident being like the Delmon Young incident, but just that things happen in the heat of the moment. I think given Young's age we should cut him a little slack for now.
  • Options
    I agree regarding Young. This guy is basically still a child.....remember how we all were at his age ? No excuse for what he did, but we all make mistakes, and its not like he went out after a game and raped a stripper ( see Duke lacross ). He made a very poor decision in the heat of the moment, and is being punished by the league. I think we should all leave it at that, let his penalty run its course and give the kid the benefit of the doubt. Unless there are other character related incidents in his past that I am overlooking this isnt the end of the world, and Im sure the umpire that got hit with the bat would agree in the end.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Young is a repeat offender with multiple past problems with umps. The bat hit the ump and was thrown with malice.

Williams is a classy guy who rarely loses his cool. He threw down the helmet in disgust and not in a careless manner that gave no thought to hitting the ump.

Much different circumstance, although I'll bet Bernie gets a game or two suspension and deservedly so.
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Bernie, felt very bad about it. He said it was the first time in his entire life (including little league) where he did something bad enough to warrant being thrown out of the game.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Big difference in what the two did, and it doesnt surprise me in the least that comparisons are being made considering the anti NY and anti Yankee sentiment on these boards.
    >>

What an absolutely ridiculous and stupid post. Regardless of the views of the members of this board, Bernie still tossed a batting helmet at the ump, trying to show him up, as his team was getting pasted by the sox.

<< <i>Young TURNED and threw his bat intentionally at the umpire, striking him. >>

Really? You know this how? Have you seen some video no one else on the planet has? The video shows the bat coming in from off frame, so you can't tell if he was facing or he threw it back. Nice assumption.

<< <i>Bernie tossed his helmet backward to make a point, and maybe even show up the ump, but he had no view of the umpire, and certainly couldnt have predicted the umpire would be walking up the 1st baseline when he threw it. I am not condoning what Bernie did, but please folks, get real and stop comparing two things that are clearly not the same. >>

They ARE the same. You can't EVER, ever ever EVER throw anything at the ump. EVER. Bernie should be sitting for 5 games.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    And you know he THREW it at the UMP how Axhole? From what I have seen and heard he threw it down in disgust AND the ump happened to be walking up the line.

Get real.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>They ARE the same. You can't EVER, ever ever EVER throw anything at the ump. EVER. Bernie should be sitting for 5 games. >>

Never, ever, ever?

You need to move out of your parents house man.

They could force Bernie to become a Mariners fan for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    The moment you allow one player to ever throw something at an ump, the moment the umps are no longer safe.

Toss this guy to the bench for 5 games. Not like it'll be a big loss for the yanks, he's a part time (at best) player anyways.

• Options
    I think it warrants sometype of action. Now was it with malious intent like Delmon Young? Of course not. How do I assume Young ment to hit the ump? He hit the ump and if he was trying to "Toss the bat to the plate" how far would that bat have gone had it not hit the ump? Probably another 15-20 feet.

Axtell, you realize guys have spit in the faces of umps, shoved/pushed them, and at most recieved a 5-10 game suspension. To even put this incident on that level is questionable. I'm sure Bernie meant to toss it near the Ump, as he did look back before he tossed it. But it was an underhanded backwards toss of a batting helmet, not a bat. On top of that it didn't even hit the ump! I say, he should be suspended for a game for the simple formality of it.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Roberto Alomar did was far worse in my opinion than what Young did, Williams should recieve a decent fine and two weeks off.
  • Options
    Since it was a yankee, and bernie williams to boot, our resident idiot anti yankee wants the guy drawn and quatered.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Since it was a yankee, and bernie williams to boot, our resident idiot anti yankee wants the guy drawn and quatered.

Steve >>

Trade him to the Mariners!!!

A fitting punishment.
  • Options
    First, who said drawn and quartered?

Second, the Mariners dont want this broken down has been, that's why he's still with the yankees - that's their favorite type of player.

Finally, WP, I thought you were a Mets fan? I guess you're just a NY apologist?
  • Options
    That is the problem with you Hole, you thought.

you never did answer my question.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    WP-

So you are a NY apologist? Typical.

And how do I know he threw it at him? LOOK AT THE TAPE YOU TWIT. He turns, looks over his shoulder at the ump, then tosses his helmet directly at him.

Only the mentally challenged (I mean YOU, WP) would say it wasn't intentional and he wasn't aiming for the ump.

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I vote that MLB fines the Yankees big time for this action - and mandates that Bernie play every day in CF for the rest of the season.
  • Options

<< <i>I vote that MLB fines the Yankees big time for this action - and mandates that Bernie play every day in CF for the rest of the season. >>

They could force him to watch Melky Cabrera play CF for the season. image

• Options

<< <i>WP-

So you are a NY apologist? Typical.

And how do I know he threw it at him? LOOK AT THE TAPE YOU TWIT. He turns, looks over his shoulder at the ump, then tosses his helmet directly at him.

Only the mentally challenged (I mean YOU, WP) would say it wasn't intentional and he wasn't aiming for the ump. >>

If Bernie had meant to hit the ump the helmet would have come closer.

Perhaps you are an umpire, being blind and all....
  • Options

<< <i>
    They] could force him to watch Melky Cabrera play CF for the season. image >>

My 10-year old son could have caught that fly ball.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I vote that MLB fines the Yankees big time for this action - and mandates that Bernie play every day in CF for the rest of the season. >>

They could force him to watch Melky Cabrera play CF for the season. image >>

True, but even Delmon Young doesn't deserve that fate.
  • Options
    Poor Bernie. He had to play RF because Matsui fractured his hand -- then Bernie committed an error that turned the game around for the Sox! image

By the way, Bubba Crosby is a much better fielder than Matsui!!
  • Options
    Good ole Bernie, can't play CF, now, can't even play the corners without committing an error! Good thing he took a pay cut this year!
  • Options

<< <i>Good ole Bernie, can't play CF, now, can't even play the corners without committing an error! Good thing he took a pay cut this year! >>

Another well thought out comment by the resident moron.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>Good ole Bernie, can't play CF, now, can't even play the corners without committing an error! Good thing he took a pay cut this year! >>

Wow, stick to collecting cardboard because it seems from various comments you really know nothing about the game(s).
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ax does not collect card board anymore. She bought a tin shack in the woods and uses that as a lame excuse as to why she can't afford her football cards anymore. So instead her life has become a soap box on this obscure forum to "enlighten" us all on MORON 101 image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Softy-

For someone who has repeatedly called this forum a 'cesspool' (your words, not mine) you sure do spend a lot of time here. Not that I need to justify to you, mr 'I'm going to sell off my 78 topps collection' softy, but I am still active in my sets. Not my fault there's been very little to buy as of late.

Topps-

you think I am that far off? Why do you think his salary went from over $12 million last year to 1.5 million this year? He's a defensive liability, he's old, he can't run, and his bat is suffering. He should have been a man and retired after last season.

• Options
    Ax, why dont you be a man and retire from these boards ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>Ax does not collect card board anymore. She bought a tin shack in the woods.... >>

Ms. Unabomber perhaps?